News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Stand alone or Steam version?

Started by solarscreen, May 10, 2014, 08:36:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mariesalias

Thank you rkelly17 and Kaldir! Very helpful. :)

ertira

I have Steam and Battle.net on my main system. I play Civ 5/Brave New World, Warlock 2 and Fallen Enchantress -Legendary Heroes from the Steam platform. Warcraft (since Nov of 2007) and Diablo on the Battlenet platform. Steam is very good with providing my upgrades for the installed games including Banished without my having to search for which ones are needed. Also as previously mentioned  Steam is awesome at allowing Mods to be downloaded for Civ V. Which I use a lot, More Wonders especially. The one major drawback to Steam for me is its intrusiveness into this system. Steam reminds me of buying a product from a department store and when I get home with the product I have 3 salespeople wandering around my house seeing what appliances, dishes and linen I have stored and asking if I would like upgrades to them LoL. Steam is a department store to me. Keep your sales people away from my house.

The plusses for having Steam though far outweigh the negatives. So I have Steam only on my gaming system. I will never have it or any other outside interest on my other systems.
And Yes I did set my login to forever this time.  :P

solarscreen

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

gatinho65

Another necro post, but oh well, at least it makes it look like people are here reading, right lol?

I too have to admit I didn't really know what Steam was, until one of the posts in this thread. I certainly was familiar with the name and guessed at the purpose, but as a mac user who only ever played SimCity (until finding Civ IV and Tropico 3 this last year) I never really needed to know much about the gaming world.

The only modding I've done myself was in SimCity, creating buildings and adding flora and fauna into my own games, all done on 3d modeling software, which is a whole world of addiction in itself. What sort of difference will having a standalone or a Steam version make when it comes to the eventual modding kit? Hopefully something a mac user can play with as well, although I'm not sure how to go about integrating mods into wineskins. Ugh, too much to learn...

Since Civ came up, I'd like to make a plug for Civ IV, which is standalone and has some fantastic mods. It is VERY micromanagement oriented/friendly, so if that is your thing, definitely check it out. The History Rewritten mod, which is for mac and PC is excellent and utterly addictive and fascinating, almost a new game with new traits, tech trees, civs, really worthwhile.