News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Red's new Work In Progress thread

Started by RedKetchup, November 19, 2017, 06:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

In my blog I asked for some store to clean up the "messy" looking stockpiles with the many different materials.

Here's what I wrote today:

Quote from: RedKetchup on February 07, 2018, 04:44:26 PM
And hopefully @Nilla , i ll have some "closed" storage to offer you :) and better if you can give me exactly the name and utility of each building i should do for NMT3.0 RK Choice Ed. :) That way you will have exactly the storage buildings you will expect to have.

I've been thinking. This question is not easy to answer.

The simplest solution would be to make a barn, maybe in a few different sizes, that can hold all materials, that usually are stored on stockpiles. This would tidy the place up and bring the stuff out of sight.

Could these simple mixed barns be improved somehow? Of cause, some buildings for special materials, with or without vendors could be possible. But here comes the complicated part. As I said, I very much liked the NMT stores with the 2 and 3 floor houses on top. But that was in easy times, with a few materials in one store and a few products in the other. You built one store where wood, stone iron and coal was collected, located one or a few of each; woodchopper and blacksmith close. They put their products in the other store. Building material was also collected to the "center", where it could be used. With these chains of production, it's not that easy anymore.

Here I think, those of you, who have played this mod longer and also you who have more experience of playing CC, with all their production chains and some special stores could add better arguments than I can. That's why I will move this discussion to your development thread, @RedKetchup and add a few more thought from myself.

If @RedKetchup is nice enough and make some closed storage for "stock pile stuff". How do we like it to be? Is a simple barn for all material enough? If not? Which material should be stored together? Should it be with or without vendors?

First I think, it's wise to be careful by using vendors. Vendors don't steal from each other. So if something lands in such a store, it stays there until it's consumed. Say, if we had a store with vendor for logs and firewood. It would be very nice to locate close to a chopper. The vendor(s) would get logs, also from far away, if needed. The production of the chopper would be excellent. But, the firewood in that store will not be moved to any market. That's not so good.

What about a special barn for logs and firewood? Yes, maybe. Should it also store the products from other buildings that use logs? Lumber? Maybe yes. It do make sense to locate a chopper and a lumbermill together. What about products from blacksmiths? They use logs, too? Difficult, because the blacksmith can use so many materials to make tools, so I would say rather, not.

What about a special barn for a foundry with iron ore and iron? Yes, might make sense. What about copper ore and copper? Could make sense to put in the same barn. Silver and gold ore/bars? Small products but maybe yes.

Another barn for sand, clay, brick- and glassproducts? Yes, can make sense. But the brick and glassmaker also use firewood. Should it also be stored in that barn?

Could it make sense to have any stores with vendors for these kind of products? Maybe for materials coming from one place but is used somewhere else, like logs from forests on the edge of the map, ores from mines, stone from quarries. What about markets for building materials, that could be built in new development areas far away from production sites? I don't know.

twilightbreeze

Barn/store for storing stockpile only stuff is good.

I personally would like to see barns stop auto storing firewood and ores, anything that could be stored in the stockpile instead. Having a barn that only stored stockpile stuff is ok too, but leave the regular barns for food, tools, herbs, textiles, etc. Otherwise, the barns get so filled up with stockpile stuff, no room for food and other things.

Either have a barn strictly for stockpile stuff, or non-stockpile stuff.
Got my first computer 1984 when it was all dos. Been playing computer games and internet surfing since. SOOO much has changed!! lol.

RedKetchup

hehe so many possibilities....
for sure it is unrealistic to cover everything in same(some) building, i mean, for the clay/sand/bricks/glass, it is ok, i think, if there is something special they really want , to go pick it up somewhere else a bit futher (like firewood / or coal.....)

and vendors/no_vendors as you said, it acts differently.

so i let you think about it :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

brads3

Ds had an idea that might be helpful. 2 smaller market square that was 2 parts. 1 stored items for the bannies,food, firewood,clothing,herbs.
the other stored the process good,logs.iron,ores,etc. 1 would feed the production area to stock the bannes. the other would work with the buildings.  a set of carts would be handy to move specific items like logs,stone,ores,salt,textiles,etc.

wiscoke

if I can make a suggestion about the barns. storage places for only food, only materials, only firewood,... this way you can have control on what is stored and where. the materials and firewood should not be in a closed barn, but next to a closed barn and with only a roof above it. like some sort of extension of the barn wich you can place seperatly. it also makes sense to put the firewood, stone,.... outside under a roof.

something like this ...http://www.barnpros.com/barn-plans-products.aspx?itemid=1233

RedKetchup

i liked the model posted on the barnpros.com

btw, about a barn with ONLY edible : there is one already in game, it is named The Granary. it contains only Vegetables, Fruits, Grains and Meats.
edit: oh also the vanilla market (and its little brother 10x10) are only 'bannies friendly' they store only what bannies need : food, firewood, herbs, tools and clothing.

RedKetchup

just asking... did you saw the specialized stockpile ?

wiscoke

yes I know of the specialized stockpiles. but I want a roof over it. I know there are some mods for that. kid has them and embx too. but it would be nice if it has the same textures as your barns ;) then you could use them as an extension of the barns or seperatly.

Gatherer

In my opinion what is needed here is a mix of normal barns with different flags stored inside based on percentage of total space available and smaller warehouses operated by stockers.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

grammycat

It sounds like yall want what's already in the Colonial Charter mod.  I've been using the special stockpiles which work well, but a covering in your textures would be nice.  I noticed you mentioned cutting the animals back-for me it's only the deer that are plentiful.  I love the boars but they've been scarce on my maps.

brads3

i mis-read that. thought you said the boars scared you.

grammycat

:D  They are scary when you run across them in the woods around here.    ???

RedKetchup

so it seems everyone want covered stockpiles.

you said CC has them, Kid has them, embx has them.....
are they a simple decoration of a roof structure you place ontop of a stockpile, or it is really integrated in the stockpile and it changes as you click and drag its size ?

elemental

Just a ghosted roof on wooden posts, that's all it needs to be. They are usually 2 squares wide but made in a few different sizes, 2x3, 2x4, 2x5.

The ones in my pics are made by Kid. Perhaps you could borrow his models and add your textures to them? (the fences in my pics are not part of the covering, they are separate)

Nilla

Hmmmm......

I don't agree. A ghosted roof is better, than nothing, I would definitely use it. But I would rather like a "proper storage". OK, most of these materials can be stored outside or under a simple roof (in life) but personally, I have a firewoodshed for my firewood. I find it a cleaner solution.

I've been thinking a little further about stores with vendors: I just discovered, that the markets only holds "consumers goods", I now read it here as well. That's fine with me. But it might cause some trouble: With vanilla markets, you can always locate one blacksmith, one tailor and one chopper at a market. If you have enough vendors, they bring enough rawmaterial, even if the source is far away. Without this possibility, you must be much more careful, how you locate your producers.

Some of these locations are easy and obvious; you locate mines, furnace and blacksmiths together. But what is, when the original mine has run empty? If I understood it right, these small flat mines are not possible to demolish (good) or upgrade (maybe something to think about). Without vendors carrying the ore, you must leave a lot of space for new mines in the area, move the whole production chain or accept a much lower production, if you want to play a little longer.

The same a tailor; it's easy enough to locate it close to a sheep pasture and produce wool coats. But what is, if you want to use several material? It's much harder, especially on a larger settlement to locate, to get wool and leather, or maybe cotton or flax.

I think firewood, lumber, bricks, glass don't have the same problems. They can better be located to a good source of sustainable rawmaterial.

A vendor store for building material could maybe also make sense, especially on a large map.

So I think this mod could use some storage with vendors; at least one for ores and metals and one for textiles. But they should not include the final products; tools and clothes.