News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Decorative plants

Started by Voeille, May 21, 2018, 01:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid1293

You have to separate leaves texture with one material and
then have the trunk texture with another material (Foliage?).

RedKetchup

the trunk should not swing, not change color, not disappear

what i do, i dont include them in the UV map 3
when i do my UV3, i select all the leaves and fruits and then launch the UV3 mapping

also what Kid said is a very more easy way to do. the trunk texture you keep it opaque material
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Voeille

How do I go about using a separate material? Do I need to have another group beside 'mesh' with just the trunk? What about .rsc files?

Edit: Meanwhile I finished importing hibiscus (except for icons). There is also a variant without flowers but I forgot to place it. The tree will have more size variants like the rest of the plants after I fix the winter behaviour, and I'll add the large high poly model too.

RedKetchup

no , it needs to form only 1 mesh. banished doesnt accept multi-mesh but accept multi-mat
you will need to have 2 Image.rsc and 2 ImageTextures.rsc like you already do ... but 2 of those (1 for the trunk, 1 for the leaves)

Voeille

Let's say I have PongamTree.rsc and PongamTreeTexture.rsc. I will make PongamTreeTrunk.rsc to use a different material, but do I need to have PongamTreeTrunkTexture.rsc if I'm going to refer to the same texture anyway? Or do I need two separate textures, one with invisible leaves and one with invisible trunk? I suppose I also need to create an actual additional material in Blender?

Also, the only reference to PongamTree.rsc is in mesh files:

GraphicsMesh resource
{
String _meshName = "Models\PongamTreeSmall.fbx";
int _instanceCount = 5;

DetailLevel _detailLevel
[
{
float _transitionDistance = 10000.0;
String _subObject = "mesh";
ImageBuffer _image = "Models\MaterialInstance\HydrangeaAO.rsc";
}
]

Skin _skins
[
{
MaterialInstance _materials
[
"Models\MaterialInstance\PongamTree.rsc:damage"
]
}
]
}

(I know it's referring to hydrangea AO, but that's on purpose, they just share the same white file.)

Do I need to change it to:

GraphicsMesh resource
{
String _meshName = "Models\PongamTreeSmall.fbx";
int _instanceCount = 5;

DetailLevel _detailLevel
[
{
float _transitionDistance = 10000.0;
String _subObject = "mesh";
ImageBuffer _image = "Models\MaterialInstance\HydrangeaAO.rsc";
}
]

Skin _skins
[
{
[
"Models\MaterialInstance\PongamTree.rsc:damage"
]
}
                {
[
"Models\MaterialInstance\PongamTreeTrunk.rsc:damage"
]
}
]
}

Tom Sawyer

To have a separate material for parts of your model it should look in blender like this. In a separate mesh added to the main mesh as parent (Ctrl+P) and with its own material. I would make a separate texture file for this material, also for performance reasons.

Voeille

Nilla

The trees look lovely in summer but strange in winter.

Voeille

I know, they'd look much better if I had branches done similarly to birch and oak trees (i.e. some of the foliage planes have bare branches without leaves that stay there for the whole year), but when I was making the model I didn't design it for that, so I'd need to redo it (probably from scratch, because I don't think I have a version with planes still completely separated; for all I remember I made a cluster out of some, regrouped that and used it to make the model), so I'll leave it like that. Or should I make it evergreen? It's a tropical tree so it'd be nice if it stayed evergreen when using CC tropical starts.

Side question – would it be possible to replace the birch tree with my model? I'd like that for the aforementioned tropical starts.

Edit: I think I'll just make separate versions: everything seasonal (like now), everything evergreen, and only with the tree being evergreen (which will probably be default, I'll see how it looks with snow first).

kid1293

It is okay to replace birch. But you have to change some places to get rid of animation or the game crashes.

When you do, try to change only 'ModelDescription model'  and  'NaturalResourceDescription naturalresource'
in NaturalResourceTree.rsc. That way other mods like New Flora can still spawn resources.

Voeille

Thanks. I'll take a look at it when I'm finished with the plants :)

I think I'm mostly done. For all I remember I should still have the models for hydrangea and hibiscus with flowers separated, so I think for the evergreen version I'll still make flowers disappear.
Here are the small plants:

Here are the trees:

And this is how the trees look in winter without losing leaves. I think it's a lot better than those strange bare models. And they cover with snow, so it's not like they're glaringly bright green.

kid1293

Nice touch!
Winter is so naked otherwise.

I like that snow :)

RedKetchup

looking nice :) @Voeille !

i wish to have a very talented henchmen for a model ^^^
it has been a week i am trying to make an orchard, hops plant that is looking not so bad as i tried 2 times so far... but they are ugly as shit^^

Willows

I like the idea of pretty snow covered and evergreen trees in the winter. Like kid1293 said earlier, winter looks so bare and lonely with all the dead trees.

Lifetime Goal: To be the Neighborhood Crazy Cat Lady.

Anyone play and/or mod RCT3? Please pm me! :)

Currently playing RCT3. Send me a pm if needed, I check in daily.

Voeille

Thanks :) I wish I had thought of making an evergreen version of everything earlier. It will take a while to import all the models with flowers separated.

@RedKetchup
It can't look that bad ;) The problem with crops is that you get a lot of copies of the model placed, so it can't be too high poly. But too low poly doesn't look good for some plants (some are OK, flowerless hibiscus is only 138 polys for all I remember, compared to around 1000 with flowers), and after looking at google images I'd say hops might need a lot (for a crop) to look truly good. I plan to make this at some point. My model of course won't be as detailed as that example, because a) there's still a lack of skill, and b) the poly count needs to be sane instead of going for a few thousands ;) The large tree in this set has 2586 polys, designed to use sporadically. The less wide one has 1086, so it's a bit better.