News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant - Quatre Bras: incorporating mods

Started by irrelevant, October 14, 2014, 06:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Late Spring 18

Okay, demolishing/rebuilding the old Farm Market that was causing trouble.

Expanding across the river. Going to do the cattle-milk-yogurt thing over there, plus hunters, foresters, and fishers. For now.

irrelevant

Spring 19

And it looks like that solved the Farm Market problem.

Amazing what taking in just 8 nomads can allow you to get done in the early years.

irrelevant

A couple of offhand mod impressions.

I think the greenhouse is OP. Produces scads of high-value seedlings at no cost. Who needs to make ale? Just plop down 3-4 greenhouses. I turned mine off 3 years ago, still have nearly 1000 seedlings in stock. I think its production needs to be halved, or cost something (fuel? herbs? Roots! Of course!), or TV halved, or maybe all 3.

My current impression is that the Farm Market is OP, 10,000 storage for the cost of a wooden house? A barn costs way more, holds far less. At least it takes up lots of space. Still thinking about it.

Mahnogard

Quote from: irrelevant on October 20, 2014, 06:42:54 PM
I just noticed that one of the things I can build is an Inn. I had no idea; I don't even know what mod that is from.

What's it good for?

It's either from Fountain or Town & Textiles, can't remember exactly which one, but it sort of serves as a "budget boarding house". I built one once. I liked it, but I didn't really need it. I ended up not using either of those mods again anyway.

irrelevant

@Mahnogard Thanks for the 411, sounds like something I can live without, like most of the other junk from that mod package.

This town is so much fun, so different from what I have done before. I have only four farms, one tailor, one blacksmith, one tavern, two choppers. Only one market! Only one TP!! But I have a quarry, a mine, five foresters, two gatherers, three hunters. Plus all the wonderful things our modders have created for us! Thanks to you all!

irrelevant

So much potential on this map. With the mods that have been created so far, it's like a whole new game! I can only guess what is still to come.

Foresters placed in virgin territory set to cut and plant are decent collectors of surface stone and iron.

@snapster you reading this? ;) I've built a pop 6000 town, yet this pop 108 podunk-ville excites me. Want to know why? Just ask your questions here. But please be specific to my town; I'm not interested in discussions about Meta-Banished. And try to be polite; if my blog gets locked, I'll be pissed. ;)

irrelevant

snapster

What's on the map? And I'm waiting for the thread to be reopened. Strange, in my opinion, how and why a mod decided to close it down. It even seemed he was following the discussion yet at the mention of sex, at the least a partly incorrect analogy but that's to be expected from a self-admitted plodder ;), some insidious strain in the thread turned nefarious and apparently even came to dominate the whole discussion. But I digress. By the way, I was pmed by someone who agreed with me and found the game "basic". Even with "self-imposed goals/limits" you ultimately find yourself "painting with 5 colours". A Banishedophile like you should be more interested.

I also got the game yesterday. I'm a desperate guy.  :(

salamander

Quote from: snapster on October 21, 2014, 07:56:24 AM
I also got the game yesterday.

Even though the price of the game is reasonable as games go these days, I can understand not wanting to part with the money until you're sure.  It seems one thing that's clear, though, is that folks get different things from the game.  So, trying it out for yourself might be the best thing in the long run.  I hope you like it, and get some enjoyment from it.

irrelevant

What's on the map? And I'm waiting for the thread to be reopened. Strange, in my opinion, how and why a mod decided to close it down. It even seemed he was following the discussion yet at the mention of sex, at the least a partly incorrect analogy but that's to be expected from a self-admitted plodder ;), some insidious strain in the thread turned nefarious and apparently even came to dominate the whole discussion. But I digress. By the way, I was pmed by someone who agreed with me and found the game "basic". Even with "self-imposed goals/limits" you ultimately find yourself "painting with 5 colours". A Banishedophile like you should be more interested.

I also got the game yesterday. I'm a desperate guy.  :(
Glad you replied. I agree, it would be nice if the thread were re-opened; I'll see if I can plod over and appeal.

"What's on the map?" Just interesting terrain, plenty of spaces for little villages each with its own trading post, lots of surface stone and iron to help get things started in each area. Yes, every map has more or less of this same stuff. But this is the map I'm building on now, and that makes it more interesting to me.

It doesn't feel to me like painting with 5 colors, especially not when more new things are being created every day by our imaginative modders. I'm already as interested by Banished as I care to be; any more would not be healthy for work or home.  ;) Seriously, you telling me what I should find interesting is simply not compelling.

I'm glad you got the game. But you probably won't find it interesting  ;) Seriously though, I hope you get at least some enjoyment out of it.

I'm not surprised that someone told you they found the game to be "basic." I think what you get out of this game is dependent on what you put into it. Like with any game, any pursuit. I'm happy and comfortable with my level of involvement.

edit: oh, be sure to do the tutorial. Banished's learning curve can be brutal.

snapster

Quote from: salamander on October 21, 2014, 08:17:39 AM
I also got the game yesterday.

Even though the price of the game is reasonable as games go these days, I can understand not wanting to part with the money until you're sure.

I'm not sure.  :D

Quote from: irrelevant on October 21, 2014, 08:27:14 AM"What's on the map?" Just interesting terrain, plenty of spaces for little villages each with its own trading post, lots of surface stone and iron to help get things started in each area. Yes, every map has more or less of this same stuff. But this is the map I'm building on now, and that makes it more interesting to me.

... :-X

As for the rest, the point is Banished can be and should be better. What you get out of the game depends on what you put into it, like with anything in life, doesn't hold too much water, but it does mean you're satisfied and still playing and there can be others like you. It's important to recognize how insignificant this can be though. At the moment I take it the game isn't thriving, and after a bump things may head for the worse.

So, what will you be doing next on that map?

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 21, 2014, 09:51:20 AM
At the moment I take it the game isn't thriving, and after a bump things may head for the worse.

What is your source for this information? I don't get out much.

Quote from: snapster on October 21, 2014, 09:51:20 AM
So, what will you be doing next on that map?

At the moment I need more log production, and also more food; my food consumption and production are about equal right now, and that means consumption will soon exceed production if I don't act (it's not an emergency as I have about 4 years' worth of food in storage). I'll build a couple more foresters there on the far side of that river, add a gatherer or two. This will require additional housing over there, some kind of market structure, some additional storage. Eventually I'll expand the farming operation at the other end of the town, I just haven't decided on the timing. Doing so will interfere with the forester, gatherer, and herbalist there, so I'll need to compensate for that.

My second trading post is under construction there in the last screenshot, and to stock it I will need to build a village in the area in the bend of the river off to the left. That village will need a market, housing, a tailor, a blacksmith, a woodcutter, a school, maybe a tavern. I also plan eventually to build a monastery there (produces books for trade). Probably I will build @RedKetchup's grain milll and a bakery, since the purpose of this town is to learn how to make use of the new structures and product chains. This is a long-term project, will take probably ten years to get all that set up.

I expect that area will become the main manufacturing and trading hub for the entire map. It will ultimately be filled with housing and various producers and storage buildings and stockpiles.

snapster

How about the activity in Banished communities for the game not thriving?

How would you supply separated foresters and gatherers aside from the stuff they acquire?

What will the challenges to and purpose of your trading posts be? Just prosperity without being able to do much with it seems pretty pointless.

snapster

Speaking of production chains, I wonder whether this can introduce more or a further point to the game. Since modders control requirements of buildings (building time and/or builders required too?) and some effects (along with hopefully their appearance and even grandeur) could the point of a game be to reach the end of a chain or tree that would entail difficulty or challenge?

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 21, 2014, 10:20:02 AM
How about the activity in Banished communities for the game not thriving?

Unaware of such activity. Doesn't matter to me in any case; it's thriving just fine here.

How would you supply separated foresters and gatherers aside from the stuff they acquire?

I'll put a market over there eventually. Until then they can get what they need across the river.

What will the challenges to and purpose of your trading posts be? Just prosperity without being able to do much with it seems pretty pointless.

This map will eventually run out of stone and iron, I'll need to import those; I don't like putting quarries and mines everywhere. I'll probably eventually need to trade iron tools and wool/hide coats for steel tools and warm coats. My experience has been that eventually I'll no longer be self-sufficient in logs to produce firewood and build additional buildings.

Yes, at some point either the map will be full, or I'll start another town with a different goal. This town was started just to explore mods. I may learn things that I will want to start a new town in order to more fully explore.

I was thinking about this area while I was at lunch. I may not develop it to the extent that I described, I may instead just develop it as one more semi-autonomous village that also has a trading post to bring in some needed imports.