News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Goodbye Reven - 250 years, ~2,500 residents

Started by JimmiG, October 30, 2014, 10:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmiG

Been a while since I played Banished, but I plan on getting into it again. But this time using a large number of mods to make it more interesting.

So it's time to say goodbye to my longest-running town of Reven. I could probably keep it going with a few tweaks, but I feel it's pretty maxed out. I've simply run out of space on the map. I need to increase food and firewood production, because every time the population surpasses about 2500, it collapses back to ~1500 due to running out of those resources. The game also gets a little laggy with these high populations which makes it less entertaining to play.

I didn't aim for a particular layout, the town has just grown organically. No mods were used throughout most of the life of the town, though I did add the apiary, dairy milk and a few extra crops at the end. I also tired the "Stop burning the coal" mod at the end, in an attempt to save the coal for steel tools (this instead caused people to freeze in the winter...).

The town does not have and has never had any coal or iron mines nor quarries, as they are not renewable. I trade alcohol and food for those.

solarscreen

Nice work @JimmiG !  250 years!

Looking forward to what you come up with using mods.

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

salamander

That's a nice looking town.  I generally like the organic way of developing a town, and your town turned out really well.  +1 to @solarscreen's comment -- show us what you can do with mods.  :D

irrelevant

@JimmiG Congrats on 250 years; that's the oldest town I've seen.

salamander

@JimmiG -- btw, you talk as if Reven was something that just happened by accident.  I just wish that I could reach anywhere close to 2500 citizens, or keep a town going for 250 years.  I've been playing this game for several months and still can't seem to accomplish what some of you seem to make 'easy.'

Very nice job.  ;)

JimmiG

Quote from: salamander on October 30, 2014, 03:35:23 PM
That's a nice looking town.  I generally like the organic way of developing a town, and your town turned out really well.  +1 to @solarscreen's comment -- show us what you can do with mods.  :D

Thanks :) I agree it's more fun to just let the town develop on its own rather than trying to optimize the size of every farm field and every placed building. However a big, spread-out town like this is fairly inefficient. Sometimes it would literally take (in-game) years before construction would begin on a placed building even though there were plenty of resources. You also need a lot of vendors in each market to supply outlying districts.

Quote from: salamander on October 30, 2014, 04:11:25 PM
@JimmiG -- btw, you talk as if Reven was something that just happened by accident.  I just wish that I could reach anywhere close to 2500 citizens, or keep a town going for 250 years.  I've been playing this game for several months and still can't seem to accomplish what some of you seem to make 'easy.'

Very nice job.  ;)

It took a lot of patience but every time the town collapsed I let it rebuild. Once you get above a certain population even a full blown famine will eventually level off before completely dooming the town. Another thing I do is rely heavily on the "Production" tab of the town hall. Even if you have hundreds of thousands of food stockpiled, if you consume more than you produce it will run out eventually unless you increase production.

Quote from: solarscreen on October 30, 2014, 01:31:32 PM
Nice work @JimmiG !  250 years!

Looking forward to what you come up with using mods.

Thanks :) I'm currently testing out mods. One thing I would really like is higher-density buildings that still allow citizens to breed. That would really save a lot of precious space at higher population numbers. Unfortunately that doesn't yet seem to be possible. However there are a lot of cool new productions buildings to try out.

irrelevant

Quote from: JimmiG on October 31, 2014, 08:21:26 AM
Thanks :) I'm currently testing out mods. I'm primarily looking for some new professions, buildings etc. One thing I would really like is higher-density buildings that still allow citizens to breed. That would really save a lot of precious space at higher population numbers. Unfortunately that doesn't yet seem to be possible.
@JimmiG You should look at @RedKetchup's little 2-story houses, and also @slink's snug houses, if you have not already. I'm using both extensively in my current town Quatre Bras, which is over here: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=567.0

Mahnogard

Really impressive, @JimmiG!

I've only made it to just above 900, I think. (I remember vaguely having a town crumble not long before it would have met the year requirement for an achievement, so I think it was 900.)

I was going to mention @RedKetchup's 2-story houses, but I see that @irrelevant beat me to it before I posted. (I love the forum feature that tells you of new posts and lets you read them before posting.) Combined with the new market buildings available from @slink and Elfecutioner, it really changes the dynamics of town planning with regard to density and housing placement.

JimmiG

Cool, I didn't realize those little houses can be built with two storeys. That's really useful when trying to conserve map space for farms later in the game :) That was my main problem with Reven towards the end - desperate need for farms and another forester hub but no space left on the map.

i only did usefull awesome mods ! hehe

^_^ grins ^_^