News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Monkstown - Story 7

Started by Abandoned, December 31, 2016, 11:25:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

@Nilla thanks for reminder on orchard size.  I do have that info noted. Here I'm using longer living orchard and better fields mods and when I placed this orchard I thought to bring that road straight down along side of it from the first storage barn but I never did develop that area because of deer grazing. This small orchard did very well with educated workers and second storage built close by.  These little people changing jobs and moving around can be a real pain, not always good for game but sometimes good for story, especially this group as you will see. Unbelievable.

Abandoned

Chapter 8

It wasn't long before Ambrosando returned to his old job as village guard.  Cleonardo, the college teacher, returned to teaching at the old school; it was closer for most students to attend.  There were not enough students to warrant keeping the college open.  Instead a education shrine was constructed; it would function more along the lines of Smallville's outdoor classroom, teaching a deeper appreciation and oneness with nature.  Students would learn more about plants, wild foods,  and crops.  Near the end of year 22, the town's fruit orchards were doing well, as were the hunters and gatherers. We had no nut trees yet so when Ambrosando's son brought chestnuts to school for lunch, he was questioned.  He said his mother got them at the storage barn but none of us saw any chestnuts at any of the storage facilities.  There were none in our pantries, and another crate of ale went missing.

In early summer the area by the nature school looked quite beautiful with all the flowering plants and shrubs in bloom.  It was a natural spot to build an herbalist and gatherer's hut.  The job of gatherer was waiting for a graduate of that school.  We wondered if we shouldn't be more concerned with our food supply since Monkstown now had many more children than adults.

The courtyard of the row house complex was also quite colorful.  Several more housing units were completed.  Our son and his wife still lived there, good thing they had such a big house; they just had their 6th child.  Our daughter, Honor the farmer, and her husband, Constan the miller, living over by the grain fields only have 2 children, a boy and a girl, Hustone and Nata.  Monkstown's youngest couple built an even smaller tiny row house near there and are growing pumpkins.  Also in year 25, a market was built by the main row house complex to help move crops and products closer to the highest populated areas.

Abandoned

Chapter 9

Although there had been no trouble with the pirates over the past 25 years other than the missing ale, we decided at the town meeting that it was time to approach the smugglers cave.  A strong tough-looking laborer was chosen to take some ale to the cave to see what deals could be made.  The good news was the pirate had a large variety of goods he'd be willing to trade for bottles of ale.  The bad news was the pirate was none other than Ambrosendo and Etheryn's son, Clevelt.  Shocking, the village guard's own son!  No wonder Clevelt's wife, Lake, was so quick to volunteer for the dangerous task but had been turned down since she had 3 young children.  Worse yet, no sooner had the discovery been made, Ambrosendo again quits his job as guard, becomes a blacksmith, and ups and leaves his wife again taking 2 of their other boys with him.  He moves into the row house complex which must have prompted Clevelt to quit being a pirate and return to being a laborer.  But even more unbelievable, Ambrosendo's oldest son, Arth, leaves his wife and children, moves into the same complex and takes over the job of pirate!  Yes, weary traveler, it's true, I'm not making this up.

Anyways, Clevelt and Arth claimed they found the cave empty of pirates and just wanted to help the town out. They threw crates of stuff out of the cave for the village guard, their father, to find.  They didn't steal anything, knew nothing about the missing ale but Arth was willing to bring steel tools out of the cave in exchange for ale. He said there was coal in the smugglers cave we could trade for but our mine was now producing enough for our needs.  Some of us thought stealing from pirates was still stealing and that Ambrosendo drank the missing ale himself. Did he know all along what his sons were up to?  Who knows?  Some townspeople think the whole family should be banished to the new row houses being build across the creek.   Let us pray for this dysfunctional family in the new chapel.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

Thanks @RedKetchup , I love the smugglers cave, especially how it looks in winter and how the river flows over the rocks at the entrance, beautiful.  I had my doubts putting pirates on the same map with monks but I just really wanted to use that cave.  I had no idea how the story would turn out, dysfunctional family gets the credit.  I am glad you are enjoying my story.

Nilla

;D :D

I hope we will hear more from this family.

Abandoned

Chapter 10

So, weary traveler, I only have this yet to say about Monkstown.  I truly believe it was our holy mission that brought us such good fortune.  Over the past 30 years we never wanted for food, clothes, or tools.  We had no deaths or illnesses, our health center was never used.  We may have a population of only 106, 43 adults, 23 students, and 40 young children, but we are and have been 100% happy, healthy, educated, and clothed.  We have a beautiful complex of row houses completed with plenty of available housing for the graduates of our educational center. The row houses you are staying in were originally constructed to house monks but our builders said they were more suited for the homeless. Indeed it is a spot of serene scenic beauty, yes, the educational center also.  At most we only had 2 monks in the monastery, they only recently completed the 100th copy of the Holy Book.  The first copy was sent via boatman to Smallville, their original book has a special place in our chapel, and the remaining 99 books wait in the trading post for the boatmen to pick up and deliver. 

And so weary traveler, in an endeavor to have Monkstown continue as it is, we must send you on your way.  We will first teach you what we learned in Smallville about survival and then load a cart of supplies for you.  If you don't plan on going far, you may take a few sheep, and then we will wish you  ...  Fare Thee Well.

brads3

as the north wind blows,we await news of far away lands.

Nilla

Sorry, that we already have to leave Monkstown.  :'(

But we're looking forward on new adventures! :)

Abandoned

:)Happy you both enjoyed Monkstown, so far one of my favorites towns.  New adventure, not too far away.