News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Into the Wild

Started by A Nonny Moose, September 07, 2014, 12:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Nonny Moose

Thanks for the commentary.  I am writing this top down, which is probably not a very good literary technique, but we try to keep things light and amusing.  Do you think Leaf will take Gary to bed or will they be good and handfast first?

The Giller was very interesting.  The book is about the inventor of the Theramin (of the same name).  I think the title might be a pun.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

rkelly17

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on November 11, 2014, 09:23:30 AM
The Giller was very interesting.  The book is about the inventor of the Theramin (of the same name).  I think the title might be a pun.

Indeed--and how often can one commit a pun that crosses music and electricity?

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: rkelly17 on November 12, 2014, 08:23:50 AM
Quote from: A Nonny Moose on November 11, 2014, 09:23:30 AM

Indeed--and how often can one commit a pun that crosses music and electricity?

Shocking! Just shocking!  ;D

A Nonny Moose

At dawn, the pier crew saw off "Dawn Tripper". Leaf was on the pier waving farewell to Gary who stood on the stern until the vessel was out of sight. Later I asked Finbar what he thought of all this.

"Had a chat with Dave." Finbar said. "Gary has been with him since he was a boy and has grown up on board. Seems his father apprenticed him when he was 8. His indenture ends next year."

"And ..."

"Dave said that it was the first time Gary had shown any interest in things beyond the ship", Finbar said nodding. "I think he might make a good son in law."

"Time will tell. What does Leaf say about all this?"

"She seemed to be walking on air. You know how it is."

In due time, pier construction was completed and the new Trading Post buildings added just off the end. John seemed pleased, and arranged for the goods from the main warehouse to be moved into the stock rooms of the new post. He and Susanna furnished the living quarters and moved in with Liam.

I spoke to John after the dust had settled. "I suppose you are ready for Leon and Marilyn to take this all off your hands as soon as they arrive?"

"Yes. Can't wait for Dad to arrive so that I can go aboard again. For the time being I've arranged for Sue and Liam to stay here until Liam can be safe aboard. I'll have to expand the captain's quarters a little."

"That's fine, John. What had you planned for the old warehouse?"

"I think we should maintain it as an overflow building. We don't know how often traders will call."

"Actually, I was thinking of taking part of it over as the town offices. Things are getting too much to just run out of my house. Besides, I might not be elected next time."

"Indio, you are not thinking of retiring?"

"No, but there has been some grumbling about some of the things I've done."

A Nonny Moose

Spring brought some changes. Tinetta was safely delivered of Helen to the great pride of Max. Leon arrived with almost the ice breakup on the lake, and came ashore with Marilyn and his personal furniture. John took over the Trader's Pride in a brief on-deck ceremony, and Leon took over the trading post. The front of the old warehouse was partitioned from the storage area and converted into the town offices. Marta and I moved all the town records there with some relief and were able to make them more organized.

Then, after all the excitement of setting up the trading post and town offices, Max and Jake surprised us all by returning from their latest hunting excursion leading two horses! Both were on hackamores and seemed to be relatively tame. The hunters also had full hunting bags.

Deodato was clearly taken aback. "Where did you get those?", he said.

"Found them under a tree", said Max.

"Attached to it, in fact", said Jake. "We also found a dealer", Jake put in. "And we traded some of our take for them, namely four deer carcases."

"Shrewd of you", said Deo. "What do you know about them?"

"Well, these are fairly young horses, and they have all their teeth. They are tractable, and we rode them bareback part way here", said Jake.

"You'll notice one is a mare and the other a stallion", said Max. "I think our company is going in the horse breeding business."

"We'll see", said their father. "We have not beast skills among us, so let's see what Finbar has to say."

Taking their new charges over to the farm stead, the hunters consulted with Finbar who agreed these were fine specimens, and agreed to put them up if the men would build a paddock and a stable for them. The deal was made and the farmstead was soon graced by a four stall stable and a large paddock. Straw for bedding was available from the threshing floor, and some food from the storehouse. Juliana was consulted and agreed that there were suitable grasses that could be cultivated for hay. So a new field was laid out and sewn for horse feed.

"We don't have hard ground around here, so shoes will not be needed as yet", said Finbar.

Just then, Geoff came running into the farm office saying, "Horses? Horses! How wonderful. I saw them outside. Did you realize your mare is pregnant?"

"Really?", said Max. "No wonder the dealer demanded a high price. Any idea when she will be delivered?"

"Not soon", said Geoff. "Have you given them names?"

And if the sun rises tomorrow, as it should, I'll tell you more.

A Nonny Moose

Max said, "No. Hadn't even thought of it, but horses are like pets, so I guess they need naming. Any suggestions?"

"You and Jake know the most about them, so the honour is yours, I think", said Geoff.

Deodato put in, "My sons, you have a serious obligation here. Be careful."

Jake said, "The little mare that I rode for a while today is very sweet and tractable. How about 'Sweetie'?"

"Fair name for a fair mare", said Finbar. "Geoff, can you make a plaque for her stall?"

"Surely. What about the stallion? Seems to me the duty has fallen to Max."

"He has a pretty white blaze down his muzzle, how about 'Blaze' or 'Silver Blaze'?, replied Max.

"'Silver Blaze' has a literary ring to it", Finbar said. "Fine with me if we are in agreement".

There was general acclaimation, and so 'Silver Blaze' was settled on. Geoff agreed to make a plaque for him as well. Finbar showed Sean what to do to put the new stock in their places, water and feed them, and then went to see about some equipment. He agreed with Dash to make a proper hoof trimmer, and some curry combs. He said that we'd have to trade for proper tack and saddlery for them as he, for one, intended to ride. For now, he and Sean gave them a rubdown with rough towels.

By the next day the town was abuzz with the new acquisitions. There was no problem getting volunteers to set up a paddock and a separate corral for exercises. The older boys were hot to try to ride, but Finbar organized a session of instruction on husbandry for them before they were allowed to do anything except pet the horses gently under supervision. He cautioned everyone to treat Sweetie with great respect as she was pregnant. In any case, none of the boys had any experience, so they were dependent on Finbar and Geoff.

A Nonny Moose

I see my last entry in this journal was about a lustrum ago, so I will try and summarize as best I might. We now have several horses. Sweetie gave birth to a beautiful colt, all black with white socks. It was natural to call him Socks. We were able to trade for tack and saddles, and we also traded for two more mares. Socks is all grown up now, and last year he covered one of the mares, Stella, while Silver Blaze covered Sweetie and the other mare, Pussy. Stella has just delivered a filly, Berenice. Sweetie produced a filly, Sugar, and Pussy delivered a colt, George.

Marta and I became empty nesters when Sean handfasted Myrtle. We gave over our cabin to them and moved into an apartment I had built in the town offices. Myrtle is with child.

Gary came ashore when his indenture ended to David and went to work for Leon. They built a house beside the trading post. As predicted, as soon as he was established, Gary handfasted Leaf who is now expecting any day now.

I see that I must report that we have added some people to the town as well. James came with the two mares. He is a horse whisperer, and knows quite a lot about horse husbandry. He is also a leather worker. Louisa joined us on that same trip from Dawn Tripper as a labourer. She is assigned to Finbar at the farm. We are not in a rush to increase our population by immigration, but we have let it be known that anyone who is qualified will be welcome.

The hospitality awning where we greet visitors and relax grew walls and is now a cantina. Currently it is run by whoever is available, but we are looking for a permanent keeper for the place. At the moment it is being looked after by Calvin and William with assists from Patrick and whatever ladies are about. Service has been good, but we'd like to establish something more permanent.

A Nonny Moose

So, today dawned with some real action over at Gary's place. Leaf went into labour and there was a flurry of activity as Marta and Louisa went to assist. Gary was booted out and told to go boil some water or something. It turns out that Louisa is a birthing woman as well as a farm labourer.

I took Gary up to the cantina and tried to calm him down. We had a shot of Pat's latest usigebeatha with an ice water chaser and he was a little less neverous. Marta came in around mid-morning and announced, "Congratulations Gary, you are the father of a beautiful daughter. Off you go, Leaf wants you."

The vacuum made a swishing sound as Gary left.

I said, "I gather that all went well?"

"It was tricky for a while there. The child was a breech presentation, but Leaf is strong, and things are proceeding normally now."

"Was there much damage?"

"No, we were lucky and the child was small."

Gary and Leaf announced that the new baby would be named Grace. The excitement had died down by evening.

There was a town meeting that night. Finbar and James proposed that James would be our new concierge at the cantina since the horses were being ably looked after by Sean and a crew of helpers among the youngsters. After a short discussion about some of the necessary logistics, it was agreed provided Sean could find someone to set up and run the kitchen. Francesca volunteered, and since we had all had a sup at her table, we knew this would be fine. It was agreed that Francesca would move from the farm to working at the cantina as chef and that James would take over management and front service in the place.

So ended an eventful day.

irrelevant

A Nonny Moose

Sure, why not.  We don't know the extent of their knowledge.  A vacuum can be considered to be an absence of something, in this case air.  Literary license you know.

Glad to see somebody is reading this.

salamander

I read every new installment, and hope it continues.  Keep the creative juices flowing.  ;)

A Nonny Moose

I don't see an end to this.  It is currently 915 lines of HTML.

rkelly17

Quote from: salamander on November 24, 2014, 12:37:27 PM
I read every new installment, and hope it continues.  Keep the creative juices flowing.  ;)

Me, too.

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on November 24, 2014, 04:48:58 PM
I don't see an end to this.  It is currently 915 lines of HTML.

Excellent (said in a Montgomery Burns voice).

A Nonny Moose

Glad we still have some readers.  Well, if the dish and the spoon manage a proper handfasting, I'll try and get an episode done tomorrow.

This is turning into a soap opera but without all the drama.

irrelevant

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on November 25, 2014, 01:06:56 PM
This is turning into a soap opera but without all the drama.
Well, at least it's clean  ;)