News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Forum Challenge #4: First To Recover a Dead Village

Started by solarscreen, June 21, 2014, 09:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

believe me, i passed 2 days on that, how long did you waited to get to year 23 at 10X speed ? hours. i know, i did it too, 3-4 times
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

mariesalias

Quote from: slink on June 22, 2014, 07:33:22 AM
Versions are forwardly compatible, but why stick everyone with the same file?  Then it would just be a test of the RNG, or something else beyond player control.

Even playing field with same map, same conditions. Anyway you look at it, when or if the Nomads come would be RNG.

I have read people say that they have had dead villages that Nomads did eventually come to, though I don't recall how long they took. For some, I think it was a very long time.

slink

I have read in several threads on several forums that people were about to try it, but saw no posts saying "It worked!"  The only person I saw who posted that they would come was mrbison on Shining Rock forum, and he did not say "They did come for me".  He only said they would come for another poster, and that poster never wrote back and said it worked.

I conclude that, as posted by several people in those same forums, the number of nomads arriving are a percentage of the population.  Any percentage of zero is zero.  I let the game run for hours, as @RedKetchup said.  I didn't dare do anything else on the computer, so it was somewhat boring.  I did read a book but could not concentrate fully for fear of missing the "Bong!".  It would have been worth it had the desired event ever occurred, but it did not.

It saddens me, because I always had in mind that the game had a failsafe in case of a complete disaster.  Dwarf Fortress has that.  It would not have been so difficult to provide a minimum band of nomads for an empty colony, to arrive perhaps five years after zero population was achieved.  Six, for instance, would be a nice number.  Even at x10, five years is half-an-hour so there would be a clear indication that the player wanted to continue with the failed colony, and had not just gone to the toilet and everyone died during the potty break.

slink

Okay, playing by the rules, here is a colony which was re-founded by four nomads in the year 10.  As per RedKetchup, the citizens were only killed after the nomads entered the map.

mariesalias

@slink  Yeah, I was looking back on the SR forum yesterday while we were waiting for our third healer to show up for the raid (he never did :( ) and I could not find the posts I remember. It is probably the same ones you mentioned. This saddens me, as well; I also thought of it as a backup in case everything went horribly wrong. After putting so much work into a town, there should be a way to repopulate it if you need to!

Out of curiosity, how many in-game years did you let it run? While I was looking through old posts yesterday, I believe I saw someone say it took them as long as 100 years to get Nomads. Not 100% positive as our raid leader was pretty angry (he is very strict about not wasting other people's time!) so I was distracted.

I am also sad because I did manage to kill off a town by restricting breeding and then once they were all old, I transferred all the food to the trading post and turned off food production. So now I have done it for no reason. One of my PnP movies is 6 hours long so I could just put that on and let the game run throughout it easily enough. Even if I miss the Nomads, it would show in the log that they showed up (if they do). I'd like to be sure one way or another, though it doesn't seem likely now that they would show up.   

I did not save my town before I killed everyone so I am done with this challenge otherwise.

slink

23 - 6 is 17, so I waited 17 years.  I replayed the first 14, just in case, then the first four again.  I gave up at that point.

100 years is 10 hours at x10.  That's insane.  Let us know what happens.   ;D

mariesalias

10 hours, okay. That will take a few movies. But if I do A&E's PnP, BBC's PnP, and then BBC's Mansfield Park, that'll be about 16 hours I could leave it running. Of course I can't do them all at once, but i'll make an effort to do it over this week. I really am curious at this point. And want to make my town's sacrifice count for something. ;D

I already let it run for 20 in-game years last night so I've got a head-start!

RedKetchup

my PC is also my TV ^^ i Watch tv shows and movies on my PC :P

solarscreen

One Note:  I never said kill off a village!  However, if you are like me, you have a village that spiraled into oblivion but you never deleted it.  If you have a death spiral, let's see if nomads will still come.

Now, one question:

@RedKetchup, did the nomads exist on the map before everyone was dead?

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

mariesalias

Quote from: solarscreen on June 23, 2014, 05:14:22 PM
One Note:  I never said kill off a village!  However, if you are like me, you have a village that spiraled into oblivion but you never deleted it.  If you have a death spiral, let's see if nomads will still come.

True. But I've never completely killed off an entire population through a death spiral. And I always recover the town afterwards, so no pre-existing saves for me.

slink

I have always gone back to an earlier save when everything went south.  Or, if the map was too much for me, I deleted all of the saves and went to a new map.

RedKetchup

@solarscreen : nop, my citizens were still alive when they pop'ed in the southwest corner of the map, they were slowing starting to die, and when nomad reached my townhall, everybody were dead. but i do have killed them, cause a dead village .... i never keep the save, it s always being deleted or reloaded.

solarscreen

Hmmm, well so far nobody has been able to make it happen, except, @RedKetchup who had his village die off just as the nomads were arriving.  That may be the only way it can happen.  I wondered about that.

Looks like @RedKetchup will be the winner of this contest, at least until someone else has their village die before nomads even spawn.

Congratulations!  :o

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

mariesalias

Yeah, it has been 45-50 years in my town and no Nomads yet. I'm going to let it run for at least 100 years after everyone died, but I am not expecting anyone to show up. Very disappointing. :\

mariesalias

Quote from: mariesalias on June 25, 2014, 04:08:43 PM
Yeah, it has been 45-50 years in my town and no Nomads yet. I'm going to let it run for at least 100 years after everyone died, but I am not expecting anyone to show up. Very disappointing. :\

Maybe my town's ghosts can kidnap a couple traders to repopulate the town?

ETA: Sorry for the second post, I meant to Modify, not Quote. Not used to the Quote button working properly yet.