News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla-testing RK Editor Choice beta 08 -09-10-11

Started by Nilla, February 05, 2018, 12:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

i personally prefer to put 15x8 crop but they always ask 3 farmer each which i always lower to 2 max and i put 2 on those. but the default it always ask for 3 worker each.
so i am surprised you say they ask 2 and you put only 1 at begining.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

You´re right @RedKetchup, the 15*8 ask for 3 farmers, the 15*7 for 2. But both work with a single farmer.

RedKetchup

btw, you could also take the Hard Alternate starting condition :) it starts with 1 seed. :)
i did it because i hate to not use crops so i hate hard for that. but with it, i would like to start hard with 1 seed :)

so hows about the small markets changes ? are they ok ?

Turis

I'm confused! (Not really, but, don't tell that to @Nilla and @RedKetchup )

So how many farmers do I actually need for a 12*8 cropfield? (Let them answer it, though, obviously, I already know is 1)
Does it make a difference if the field is 12*8 or 8*12? (Now I'm poorly trying to confuse them)

RedKetchup

Quote from: Turis on March 05, 2018, 10:13:00 AM
I'm confused! (Not really, but, don't tell that to @Nilla and @RedKetchup )

So how many farmers do I actually need for a 12*8 cropfield? (Let them answer it, though, obviously, I already know is 1)
Does it make a difference if the field is 12*8 or 8*12? (Now I'm poorly trying to confuse them)

for sure there is no difference between 12*8 versus 8*12 ^^

Turis

Nilla

Me too, I mean confused. Sorry, if I'm stupid. What are all these small signs? Something not decent enough for old ladies with bad eyes like me, to read?  :-\  If it is, I don't want to know!  ;)

If I oversee these signs and take your question serious, @Turis. There are theories that it do matter if it's 15*8 or 8*15 but personally, I haven't seen any difference. And I don't remember which is supposed to be better. If there is a difference, it's not huge, and other things like distance to barns and homes are more important. 1 farmer is enough for a field with 120 tiles or less, but as I said in my answer to @oldgraywolf, it's safer with 2, if this one farmer decides to do something else, instead of farming.

@RedKetchup, I can't say anything to the small markets yet, this game is still young. I've just built my first two; one food market and as far as I understand, that one is not changed and the one for raw material. Both work fine.

This is an interesting and challenging game. I played all evening. :) A lot of micromanagement, so I don't even notice the slow real time.

First picture.

I had a strategy from the start. Trying to build a large stock of food at the beginning. More or less only produce food. Everything else is done in the free time of the farmers: a lot of micromanagement: Let them work the fields in spring, as soon as it's done, some building project, firewood, logs, tools......... when the crops reach 70%, back to farming. Harvest starts manually at 90-95% growth, depending on time of the year and crop (the slow growing cranberries often less) when the harvest of one field is done, that farmer might help out on another field/orchard to get everything harvested. After that; other work until late winter.

My idea was, that when there's once a store of food, the people who get adult could have other, more steady professions and this extreme micromanagement wouldn't be needed anymore.

You can see on the food graph, that this early strategy was successful.

Second picture

... but unfortunately it didn't completely work, the way I planned.....

Somehow, I still need to micromanage a lot. 2* as much food as vanilla is cruel. The real time also gives you a lot of unproductive children to support. I also (re)discovered, that the NMT houses are for a family of 6. This doesn't make it easier!  :-\ :)

I thought a bit about building other smaller houses. But playing a game with the NMT buildings and leave out the jewel in the crown? NO! There will be NMT houses! The nicest ones! White with orange brick roofs! I'll rather micromanage 100 farmers than leave them out!

Third picture

@brads3, it seems like the striking behaviour from you settlement has spread to this!  >:(

Look at the fields. It's a good year. The harvest could be started early. Everyone is busy, except Darline, who has to harvest the big potato field next to the cranberries. After one row of potatoes, she went to the cemetery to idle. She stayed there until it was supper time, as she went home to eat, after that; back to the cemetery to idle. No potatoes! After the other farmers had helped to get the potatoes in the store, she became a tailor. That didn't suit her either; except a brief brake to get home and eat, she stayed at the cemetery! ???

I've seen something similar in one of my North games; one young charcoaler refused to work. I thought it was some teenage rebellion. Here it seems to be a mid life crises. If you look at the age of this woman, she must have been one of the original settlers. Maybe now, when she's going towards 40, she realizes, that life hasn't turned out the way she thought, as she arrived to this spot; young with a lot of dreams. Maybe the husband is mean, maybe she's got a crush on one of the handsome merchants, that visit the settlement from time to time. I guess we'll never discover the reason. We only know; she refuses to work.

Turis

@Nilla Who said anything about you being stupid? Certainly, not me. I know how smart you are by how detailed you make your reviews so I expected you read the small print which were silly anyway and a distraction from my questions.

RedKetchup

do you think citizens can have some programmed numbers like your lazy Dorine which will be more lazy than others ?
i ask the the question because i already got this problem before.... and pretty sure it was the exact same name !!!!!!!  ???

brads3

i agree with RED. there is something to the coding to cause some mysteries or odd behavior now and then.just like all vendors don't act the same from different markets.i also think TOM knows more than he tells us.
    my loitering bannies i do think is a glitch or a change TOM made.they idle at the farmer market even after i cleared a cemetary. had to use the priority tool to motivate the bannies.

Turis

Nilla

Sorry guys, I made two mistakes in my last post:

First; the name of this striking woman is Dorrine nothing else. I have no idea, if this behaviour is coded and how common it is. As I said; in all my games, it's the second time, I see it. I can't imagine, that it has been there from the beginning of Banished. I'm sure people would have noticed this earlier. Anyhow, she has left this apathy and is again a useful member of this society. Why? No idea, but she got another baby. I guess we shouldn't ask further about the father.  :P

The second mistake; The NMT houses aren't for a family of 6. I know, that one couple split and I guess, that a fourth child was born in that time. As I looked into one of the first NMT houses and saw this big family, I thought that they could get a fourth child, when they lived there, but they can't. In this game I'm glad. There's enough children to support with families of 5.

I play quite a few years yesterday. I still need to micromanage, but less than earlier. Mostly I let the game run 5X, it's quite comfortable this way. I rarely change professions anymore but
- a farmer of the fields also have to harvest the slow growing cranberries, when his field is done,
- a woodcutter use to chop firewood, but if there's plenty in the store, he might go to the lumbermill next door and work for a short time,
- a blacksmith changes between the foundry and the blacksmiths shop,
- one vendor switches between several small markets
- one person works in the brick/glass area, most of the time getting clay but sometimes also sand (which is much faster done) or making glass, bricks or roof tiles
- a couple of miners switches between the different mines and produce what's needed at the time
- if we're out of water, the perfumemaking worker switch to the close well
- and so on

Still a lot to do but far less as when they all changed professions.

First picture

This is hardly a bug, that need to be fixed. It will seldom need to happen. It was just my stupid mistake, but I wanted to show this anyway.

Here's a building site; a small ground floor NMT house, but you can see, that the menu shows no active building site (red circle). It's not stopped, so what happened? To this time I was replacing the wood houses with NMT houses; I build a new house, shortly before it's finish, I demolish the old house and the briefly homeless will soon move into their new home. This time I was in some stress by micromanage the farming, so I demolished the wrong house; the building site. When you've once demolished it, you can't undo it and continue with the construction. You must really demolish it and start over.

Second picture

Overview, you can see that the stores are well filled.

Third picture

A detail of the busy settlement. The signs of the shops look good, if you don't forget to chose a second floor without balcony. This type are my favourites; the white houses with the orange brick roofs.

You asked about the shops, @RedKetchup. This settlement is still small, so I've only used grocery, raw materials and textiles. The other will be useful in new areas, when the settlement grows but no need yet.

Grocery and raw material work exactly as I want them to. The textile store however never fills to more than 50%, often it's only wool. I guess, that the other 50% are reserved for "fabrics" that I don't have. I don't know how common it is to have any fabrics. Of cause, if you want a vegan town, you'll have to grow some textile plants and if you use one of Necora´s mods as well, you'll need to store the flax collected in the woods, but I guess that in most games, it will be mainly wool and leather. Maybe the space for these textiles could be increased to 75%?

Nilla

I know, that two pictures are missing but there were a problem by uploading. I´ll try it again later.

Turis

She was idled because of her pregnancy. It makes sense.

RedKetchup

you have food for 407 people but you have 68 citizens. i think all this imbalance comes from the fact you are using only 1 farmer per crop, you shouldnt have so many crops with that number of farmers. i wish there is a way to "penalize" that but isnt a way. it makes everything hard to balance numbers because it is not the normalization. (or should we ask all the whole world of banish gaming to do this ? and balance the numbers for this?)

about the builders/demolishing bug.... i dont see what i can do. i think maybe the bug comes from the extended 6-materials new feature. if you save and reload, it doesnt fix itself ?