News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Forum Challenge #4: First To Recover a Dead Village

Started by solarscreen, June 21, 2014, 09:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solarscreen

Challenge: Be the first to recover a dead village.

Can it be done?

A death spiral has destroyed your village.
There are no people but you have a Town Hall and a Trading Post and maybe even a Market. 

Your only hope is that nomads will come and population your dead village.

Be the first!

Screencaps of the town hall overview tab showing the town is dead, the nomads tab when they come, the overview tab again after you accept the nomads, and the overview tab one year later that shows you have successfully recoverd your village will be required.

Good Luck!

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

mariesalias

I think you should provide the dead village. ;p

RedKetchup

is there a minimum time (in term of years) we can start to get nomads ? cause i have a town hall, a trading post and a market, thats all, no houses, no barns... only a stockpile i didnt succeeded to get rid of ... and my town is a ghost town since year3 and ... and i m running at 10x speed, i m at year 12 ... and still no nomads yet :P
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

solarscreen

Quote from: mariesalias on June 21, 2014, 12:58:49 PM
I think you should provide the dead village. ;p

Probably a good idea but with several versions of Banished being used, its hard to get a village save file everyone can load...

RedKetchup

euh.... is it really possible ? ^^

3rd time, 3rd seed i am trying :P

i think it cant be done ... cause.... the number of nomad is based ( % ) on your population :P and if you have 0 population then x% of 0 pop = 0 and nothing spawn ^^

can someone confirm ?

slink

I'm in year 17 after killing everyone off in year 6.  I have a town hall, trading post, marketplace, 12 houses, and lots of food, firewood, tools, and hide coats.  No sign yet of any nomads.

On a different note, the rowboat only shows up about every other year.  One time it came two years in a row, so I thought the nomads might come also that year, but they did not.

Also, when children are orphaned, they die immediately with no apparent cause given.  This is different from the children who froze to death, who still had a living parent.

Edit: Also, in 1.0.3 the graveyard emptied after either 7 or 8 years had elapsed.  I forgot to save in the 7th year after the 48 deaths had occurred, so I can't tell if the graveyard was empty in the 7th year.

mariesalias

Quote from: solarscreen on June 21, 2014, 02:14:53 PM
Probably a good idea but with several versions of Banished being used, its hard to get a village save file everyone can load...

Oh, I see. I must have been thinking that the versions just couldn't go down, not up.

Hmm, not sure I have the heart to kill off a population on purpose.

slink

Versions are forwardly compatible, but why stick everyone with the same file?  Then it would just be a test of the RNG, or something else beyond player control.

solarscreen

Quote from: slink on June 22, 2014, 07:33:22 AM
Versions are forwardly compatible, but why stick everyone with the same file?  Then it would just be a test of the RNG, or something else beyond player control.
I'm not sure saves are forward compatible.  None of my older villages open in 1.0.3.  I have to revert back to 1.0.0 to play them.

slink

Quote from: solarscreen on June 22, 2014, 11:41:38 AM
Quote from: slink on June 22, 2014, 07:33:22 AM
I'm not sure saves are forward compatible.  None of my older villages open in 1.0.3.  I have to revert back to 1.0.0 to play them.

That's odd, because I am currently playing Saloma under 1.0.3, which has only ever been played before today under 1.0.0.

You had to remove Banished completely and re-install it when you upgraded to 1.0.3, didn't you?  I didn't.  Something is different here.

RedKetchup

Heres my try :)

this picture shows Summer 11 : all my citizens are dead

this one shows Late Summer 11: 6 nomads requesting citizenship
still show i have 0/0/0 population before i click accept

this one shows Late Summer 11 : I clicked accept and we see on picture 4/0/2 ( 4 adults / 0 students / 2 children ) as population. 6 are homeless, 4 doesnt have a tool.

this one shows about same screenshot but with the overview TAB.

And this one shows Early Autumn 12 (1 full year completed) and we can see 4/0/4 as population, they made 2 babies (Albrie and Bobbin) :)
3 adults working as farmer, and 1 floating (was builder, gone to trader and very soon will be teacher so he can teach Mervine and Honore how to work well ^^)

Lets guess if Marvine will breed with his sister Honore or he will wait Abrie (4 years old) from the other family ^^

Bobbi

This is a sick, sick challenge  ;)
I believe I will sit this one out. Can't bring myself to deliberately kill the little pixels.

slink

@RedKetchup:  I see that nomads were accepted the very next season after everyone died.  What did you do, wait until the nomads spawned on your map before killing off your citizens?  ???

Here are my before and after pictures, demonstrating that after 17 years nothing at all has happened with all of the same buildings as RedKetchup used, and a lot more resources available to any passing nomads.  I renamed my colony Suicide, by the way, from Dunderwoodruff, for this challenge.  I consider Suicide to be a fictional novel based on the real colony of Dunderwoodruff.  Thus it does not affect the history of the real colony.

I won't try it again, though.

RedKetchup

after 2 days of trying, and made many test... thats the only way to do it. (of what i understood) after many tries on a specific seed i know exactly when they were going to spawn.
if i kill them before the spawn at the edge of the map, nothing spawn at all, even with 5 Citizen left (one of my failed test ^^) :S
cause , of what i saw, it is a % of your pop. if you have 0 then 10% of 0 = still 0 (it s around 10% plus or minus, it is random, with 55 pop, i was getting between 3 and 6 nomads)

then if you want a positive number of spawn, you need a certain positive number of Citizen(even if they were already in process of dying). so i waited the good moment and killed them.
the trick i found is : send your citenzen to death, start have snowflakes, they spawn, they die, nomad arrive, accept them, restart your village from there.

the goal is : have 0 pop, take screenshot, then have nomad at townhall, screenshot, accept them, screenshot and survive 1 year , and 1 final screenshot. thats what i did ^^
nothing says you need to pass 2-5-12-50 years between :) cause anyways, nothing will spawn, even after 500 years lol

slink

*grin*  Okay, RedKetchup wins this one, unless someone else can make that happen more quickly than year 11.  And maybe even then, if it this was race to be the first to make it happen.  The title of the challenge is ambiguous.

And the sad lesson learned is that nomads won't resurrect a totally dead town.   :'(