News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - North Port Fort & Hot Springs Resort - Story 38

Started by Abandoned, February 28, 2019, 10:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Chapter 5

The harvest that year was not bad even though some of the potatoes were lost again to an early snowfall.  The farmers were eager to get an early start planting the following spring and were happy to see the bears walking right on by.  Later that year, the adults were happy to see an elk herd nearby, they needed hides badly for coats.  There was a nice supply of wool but the workshop was not equipped for using the wool and there was not a spare worker for a new tailor shop.  In spring of year 6 the settlements population was 27, 11 adults, 4 students, and 12 children.  I was happy because I would soon be starting school.

I was even happier that spring of year 6 when a big houseboat arrived with 20 people who wanted to stay.  There were 16 adults and 4 children.  Some of the adults were not much older than me but there were 2 girls my age, Billary and Diamona.  There were already other children here that were my age but they were boys.  The houseboat people came from Riverboat Junction, sent here to help in any way they could to protect the river boatmen and their cargo.

They set to work right away helping with fishing, hunting, and gathering wild foods and firewood so their arrival wouldn't cause shortages.  They decided they would settle and protect the area near the trading post, some of them would stay on the houseboat until they had built enough itty bitty houses for everyone.  They had only just begun building the houses when the river boatman, Belina, arrived.  He had leather and wild oats to trade.  A group of bears on the other side of the river had been following him, most were scared off but one crossed over to this side before being scared and running off.  He ran right into my new friend, Diamona, who was playing by the road.

kid1293

:) Suddenly the game has got a bear-infestation!

They sure look awesome!

Abandoned

I take a lot of screenshots of the bears  ;D  I best empty my recycling bin soon.  ;D

Nilla

You and @galensgranny must settle in a part of the world with friendly bears, like in my bear story, if you looked at it. The bear was more a pet and everyone's darling! ;)

Abandoned

@Nilla  ;D ya, it is getting a bit crowded in this part of the world.  I saw bears in your story  :) Love the bears but in bannie world pet bears should be on dinner plate  ;D

Abandoned

Chapter 6

As it turned out, the bear was more scared then my friend, Diamona.  She made it safely back home to one of the new bitty house.  My other new friend, Billary, lived in the one that was built across from the headquarters.  The people from the houseboat said if they were going to help they had to know all about the people here and the production and supplies.  They would keep records in the headquarters building.  We would have free access to all the information and a say in everything that was done, they were here to join us not to take over. 

After studying the records they had compiled they suggested we prepare another crop field, we could grow more potatoes until the trader brought grain seeds.  We should build a tailor shop where the wool could be used for wool or warm coats.  We could trade for more leather if we needed to. The trading post and river boatmen needed protection and so did the townspeople.  The adults were undecided about wanting a high wall built around their houses but agreed a place of protection nearby to go to if need be would be a good thing.  Building a fort by the trading post began.

Fort walls began going up on the north and on the river side and a storage unit was built into the wall on the west side by the road to the farms.  They called it a depot.  A fort tool maker for basic iron and steel tools was built into the wall near the stockpile.  Surplus tools could quickly be transferred to the trading post.  A few more houses were needed inside the walls, some of their people were still living on the houseboat.

Jinxiewinxie

The houseboats are so neat though, I could understand if they didn't want to move out haha =)

Abandoned

:)

Chapter 7

Work on the fort continued over the winter months but it was slow going because of the snow and cold.  The builders were hoping to have the other walls completed before the bears began to move in early spring, but a guard tower was built first.  Elnorah, the hunter, said it was cold and windy up on the tower but she had a clear view of the riverbank and the whole area across the river.  A butcher block was set up along the wall below the guard tower.  We would have bear steaks or sausages.  The bear furs would be made into warm coats by the fort coat maker set up further along the wall.

When the general goods merchant came to port he said that so far this year he'd only seen a few bears upriver.  He would try to bring us wild oats and leather when he returned.  Bears were spotted west of the fort by laborers who were gathering branches and wild foods.  They hurried back to the safety of the fort.  A guard tower was built along the west wall not far from the gate.  More trees would be cut so the hunter would have a better view and better aim at imposing danger on that side of the fort.   By early autumn of year 7 North Port Fort was completed.

The crop harvest was good despite the autumn frost.  Our food supply was very good, thanks in part to the hunter and guard towers.  They reduced the size of the bear packs and stopped a charging group of wild boars that came unexpectedly out of the hills in the southwest.  We had a nice supply of meat, leather, and furs before winter really set in again.

Abandoned

Chapter 8

The bears were back and on the move again in early spring and a herd of elk was sighted across the river.  We had no venison and the leather had all been used for warm coats.  I had a new coat for going to school.  If the elk would not come to us because of the bears, we would go to them.  A bridge was built across the river near the trading post.  There was a lot of trees, stone, and iron on that side of the river and a big mountain.

In late spring 10 migrants arrived on foot at the port.  They'd had enough of the cold and snow and the bears. It was all they could do to feed themselves and their children, they could not also cut trees and gather stone and iron or make tools or clothes.  It was all too much for them.  They planned to go farther south but decided to say with us.  When Belina, the riverboat merchant, returned with our leather and wild oats in early summer, he confirmed that that was the case with many families in this area now.  If we could help supply those items it would be a great help to many people.  He was in a hurry to leave when the bears appeared too close to the port.  He would spread the word we were in the market for grain seeds and suggested we build a trading post suitable for storing the seeds when they came.  We built a seed trader and more houses inside the fort, and another log cabin by the crop fields.

That winter 2 barges came down the small river looking for logs and wild foods.  We had laborers on that side of the river who were willing to help, we built 2 small piers for the barges.  We had extra laborers until it would be time to plant the crops.  They  brought the materials needed to build a tunnel through the mountain.  We wanted to see what was on the other side.

galensgranny

It is good you made the fort.  There are so many bears around! 

Abandoned

:) yes, a lot of bears.  I chose the start condition with the bears not only to test that start condition but to have bears on the map with the Wooden Fort update.  The new guard tower is not a regular hunter but produces meat from bear & boar plus fur & leather whether the animals are on the map or not. 

Abandoned

Chapter 9

When the tunnel was finished 2 of the men did some scouting and returned to say they discovered 2 small lakes shrouded in mist caused by the warm water in those lakes.  The area around those lakes seemed to be much warmer too.  Shortly after the scouts returned, Gardo the seed merchant arrived.  He said he would try to find wheat seeds to bring along on his next trip.  He told us that the 2 lakes across the river were hot springs and an underground heat source is what kept those lakes warm and kept the rivers here in the north from freezing.  Maybe the wood elves would know what was causing the heat underground, they knew a lot of stuff about the earth and the animals.  He also said that in the winter river boatmen and hunting parties were known to camp around those 2 small lakes, there were more elk than bears over there.  He'd try to get us those seeds.

In early spring of year 9, we saw several herds of elks across the river and set up a hunting tower not far from the tunnel, and not far from that hunting tower we built a forester station.  Extra logs would go to the log barge.  On this side of the river a lone baby elk was spotted close to the fort wall.  I looked for its parents but did not see them anywhere, I didn't think they just went away and left it here.  The tower guard said the parents were probably killed by bears, he would make sure none came close to the baby.  I wanted to bring it inside the fort to keep it safe but my parents wouldn't let me.  It stayed near the fort though, going back and forth along the wall for some time.

By early summer we were low on firewood, no branches had been gathered for awhile.  A one-man forester was set up west of the fort within sight and range of the guard tower, and a wood cutter began chopping firewood by the stock pile inside the fort walls.  Along the west wall  a brewers barrel was set up and as soon as there were enough berries ale could be made.  There might be ale sooner than we thought because Gardo returned to port with our wheat seeds.  Next spring 2 of the crop fields would grow wheat.

Abandoned

Chapter 10

Once the harvest of year 9 was complete we had more help to gather branches and wild foods before the snow got too deep.  More time was spend across the river, exploring the area and gathering resources.  A road was built through the tunnel and out on the other side between the 2 small lakes.  Nothing more could be done until spring.

Two children missed starting school before a second school was built.  Several children living inside the fort would reach school age soon so a spot near the west wall was chosen for the new school.  We needed more housing, we had 30 families but only 22 homes.  Two log cabins were built across the river.  The hunter and foresters said they worked outside the fort walls, they may as well live outside them.  Some of the laborers and builders agreed, saying they rather live closer to where they worked,  so construction of stone houses across the river near the hot springs began.

In late spring a houseboat with 18 migrants arrived at our port.  The boat owners picked up several other families along the way who were also heading south.  The boat was overcrowded and they were totally out of supplies.  They would gladly remain here with us and help in anyway they could.  They would settle across the river near the springs, the settlement would be called Hot Springs.  By autumn a market and more stone houses were built not far from the tunnel.  A gatherer's workstation was set up in one of the backyards.  The population of the original farm settlement, North Port Fort, and Hot Springs combined was 91 in autumn of year 10.

Abandoned

Chapter 11

In spring of year 11 the baby elk returned, she was all grown up and had a baby of her own.  She and her baby stayed near the fort wall like she herself had done.  Belina the boatman also returned in spring, he had sweet potatoes that were a real treat.  When he returned later in the year he brought sweet potato seeds.  A trade was made not knowing how well they would grow here in the cold north.  The 2 barges with logs and supplies left that spring, they were grateful for the help and were sure their small settlements would now survive.

Building continued in Hot Springs.  More houses were built around one of the small lakes and a hostel by the other.  A market food stall began baking potatoes which were very popular.  A Hot Springs Town Hall was built nearby, and like the Fort Headquarters, it too would keep record totals for all 3 settlements.  We still needed more housing.

Word spread among the boatmen that North Port not only was a good place to make the turnaround on their routes but that Hot Springs provide a short respite from the cold and a hot meal, both were very welcome especially for boatmen coming from and going to the northwest.   A Market BBQ was being built by the springs, it would serve fish and chips.  A fishing pier was built in a prime spot where the main river turned south, we did not want to run out of fish.  The BBQ grill was completed by the end of the year.

kid1293

Nice!  :) :)

One thing comes to mind. Is it disturbing to have several textures on the same f-key?
I mean - to step through them to find the right one?