News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla - Wickley - Only 6 Houses (and a Boardinghouse)

Started by Nilla, December 23, 2014, 11:44:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

I made a little "Banished-vacation again. But yesterday I started a new game. And I cannot help it, I have to share it with you.  :-\

If you read my latest blog, you know that I tried to keep a constant population in my slow Doolin. It worked well, as long as I kept an eye on the game. But as soon as I let it run without attendance ............ this famous sinus-population-graph...............  :(

I really didn't understand what happened. Of cause I know of the "natural population fluctuation" in Banished, but I thought I could get around it. ???

In order to understand more what happens, I decided to start a really small game. In fact I will build NO houses. Just start an easy game with 6 initial houses. I will build a boardinghouse and I have no problems to throw people out of their homes, if necessary.  :-[

1 picture
Starting conditions. I have built a lot in just one year. :)

2 picture
Everything is built. Look into the houses! There will be no more children. What is to be done?

3 picture
This is what I did!

4 picture
And this is the result. A lot of new families.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Nilla on December 23, 2014, 11:44:04 AM
I made a little "Banished-vacation again. But yesterday I started a new game. And I cannot help it, I have to share it with you.  :-\

keep doing ! always awesome :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Boarding houses are fun! @Nilla, so glad to see you back, I was just thinking of you.

Are you limited to just the one boarding house as well, or will you build them as needed to free up the houses to pair up breeders?  ;D

Nilla

I think one boarding house will be enough. There might be some homeless people for a period of time but I have also decided to keep the settlement small.

Boardinghouses are interesting. I have never really studied them before. Believe it or not; I am learning some new things. D

Nilla

I will show you some more pictures from my wee settlement. And also tell you, what I learned about the boardinghouses.

I thought that families seldom have children if they live in boardinghouses. I am sure I have read it somewhere. I have seen babies born in boardinghouses but not many so I had no reason to doubt this. But I have no big experience. I seldom build any. If I need homes for nomads or new couples, I usually build houses. But in this game it is different because I will build no houses.

I am now absolutely sure that there are no difference if a family lives in a normal house or in a boardinghouse: Children will be born.

First picture
10 children, 5 babies born in the boardinghouse

Second picture
More children; in normal houses and in the boardinghouse

Third picture
Here we are again; no more babies let's "shuffle" !

Forth picture
Hmm :-\, 23 homeless, have to change tactic

Nilla

I hope you all had a nice Christmas. We had! We even had some snow :)

I have been playing this small settlement a bit longer. I think I understand now why my initial thoughts about building a settlement with a constant population didn't work, as soon as I let it run without attendance. I'll try to explain it later.

Anyhow; after the first years of a big population-growth, I have slowed it down. I will not use the boardinghouse much, just in "emergency situations"; if too few children are born. With 6 houses there will be a population of about 20.

First picture, year 25
This is an emergency situation. Only 1 child and no more children will be born, unless two people of different gender dies.

I let the game run, more or less the whole day yesterday, with a bit attendance now and then. I only had to interfere, when the gender of the population was unbalanced; deaths and births. Sometimes several old ladies (or gentlemen) occupied houses for years and years, so there was no room for young couples. Sometimes there were a lot of young men, but only few young women. In these cases the women had to move out earlier, so they had could have more children, to keep the population balanced. I am quite sure this is the reason that you can not have a constant population, without doing anything. Even in a larger population there will never be the same number of males and females all the time. You can achieve it, but you have to work with it. (it =a constant population)

Second picture year 84 (I didn't build anything, so there is not much to show in between)
When I thought everything was under control, I heard this bong, bong, bong,................

Third picture year 99
Wasn't too bad. It is all rebuilt

Fourth picture year 106
But the next one wasn't far away

Fifth picture year 106
Is it possible to rebuild it now??

Nilla

Believe it or not: The settlement survived.

The only survivors were 3 single women (25, 36, 50 years old), one couple, woman 36 years old. Normally there will be one child and the settlement dies. But look what happened: The couple separated and two of the three women in age to give birth, became each one child, a boy and a girl. Forrey really fulfilled his duty! ;D. But I wonder; what is wrong with Arabela?

It took some time to rebuild all. There wasn't enough stones left on the small map, so I had to build a quarry. (Didn´t want to be disturbed by the merchant arriving). But the boy and the girl that was born after the tornado, Warney and Eliannon became 5 children, boys and girls. So I could go on and run the settlement, with only little attendance for another half a century.

Now it is enough. I have learned:
Children are born to families in boardinghouses, same as in normal houses.
You can have a more or less constant population, but not without attendance. As soon as there is unbalance between males and females, old or young, the population will start to increase/decrease and the graph will go towards the well known sinus curve.

1 picture year 106
After the tornado, hope of survival

2. picture year 115
The recovery goes on

3. pictyre year 165
Now it's enough!

irrelevant

I really am surprised you were able to recover from that with just the one young man. He really stepped up, or something.  ;)