News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Aesthetics

Started by A Nonny Moose, November 04, 2014, 10:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Nonny Moose

It is inevitable that there will be some spaces left in the grid when allocating properties.  There needs to be some filler lots for them, and I suggest flower beds and parks.

The smallest grid square in this game is fairly large compared to some, and so why not have a few single square flower beds, perhaps even seasonal, to replace the grass?

At the same time, a selection of these which might even include paths could be used to form parks to fill in areas that would otherwise be grass.

I am not a mod making type, but something like these might find acceptance and expand the possibilities for nicer looking towns.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

slink

The barrier that we have all encountered is that flowers will be blooming in the snow, unless we make them very small deciduous trees.

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on November 04, 2014, 10:45:55 AM
The barrier that we have all encountered is that flowers will be blooming in the snow, unless we make them very small deciduous trees.

Have you figured out what mechanism makes the trees deciduous?

A Nonny Moose

Some flowers do bloom in the snow [crocus|snow drop]+.

irrelevant

Quote from: rkelly17 on November 04, 2014, 10:51:56 AM

Have you figured out what mechanism makes the trees deciduous?
Something to do with the petioles?  ;)

slink

The mechanism by which trees are made deciduous appears to involve animation.  This is not obvious from the FBX file, but there is a file in the fig tree example named FigTreeAnims, which contains the following.  Unfortunately I do not yet understand making animation frames.  That is in Chapter 34 starting on page 827.  While I am by no means tied to the table of contents, particularly with ersatz computer manuals, that is at the moment beyond what I have explored at the moment.   ;D

AnimationGroup resource
{
Animation _animations
[
{
String _meshName = "Models\FigTreeMesh.rsc"; String _sourceName = "Models\FigTree.fbx";
String _name = "Fall";
int _startFrame = 0;
int _endFrame = 60;
float _rate = 15.000000;
bool _looping = fale;
}
{
String _meshName = "Models\FigTreeMesh.rsc"; String _sourceName = "Models\FigTree.fbx";
String _name = "Sink";
int _startFrame = 60;
int _endFrame = 150;
float _rate = 15.000000;
bool _looping = false;
}
{
String _name = "Remove";
int _startFrame = 0;
int _endFrame = 150;
float _rate = 15.000000;
bool _looping = false;
}
]
}

slink

Okay, that animation is for the tree falling when it is cut, or dies of old age.

Here is the texture (skin) for the model.

That's why there are no spring or autumn colors.   :'(  But wait, there is a little color in the autumn.   >:(  The example would appear to be incomplete?

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on November 04, 2014, 01:36:37 PM
That's why there are no spring or autumn colors.   :'(  But wait, there is a little color in the autumn.   >:(  The example would appear to be incomplete?

It's too bad you can't get at the files and .fbx for the oak and birch and they go through several colors--esp. the birch which is light green in Spring, green in Summer, yellow in Fall and bare in Winter. It would seem that the same mechanism could make a flower bed bare in Winter, green in Spring and colorful in Summer, if only it were accessible.  :'(

slink

Quote from: rkelly17 on November 05, 2014, 07:25:30 AM
Quote from: slink on November 04, 2014, 01:36:37 PM

It's too bad you can't get at the files and .fbx for the oak and birch and they go through several colors--esp. the birch which is light green in Spring, green in Summer, yellow in Fall and bare in Winter. It would seem that the same mechanism could make a flower bed bare in Winter, green in Spring and colorful in Summer, if only it were accessible.  :'(

Very, very true.   :(

A Nonny Moose

Seems we'll need a 60 gallon drum to put the worms in that were in that tiny can I opened.

mariesalias

I wish it were possible to 'draw' out flower beds/shrubs/hedges like a road.

tomplum68

but could you make a "small deciduous tree" that looked like a flower bed?  1 wood and 5 labor?

A Nonny Moose

I'd settle for a rose of Sharon or a rhododendron.  Both are trees.  Or how about an ornamental crab apple.

tomplum68

flowering trees, magnolia, dogwood, I like where this is going

A Nonny Moose

For that matter, I'd even settle for maple, oak, spruce, and pine trees as singles.