News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Game Freezing Problem

Started by Abandoned, May 12, 2017, 06:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

I am looking for some thoughts on this problem and what would cause it. I know minor conflicts overwrite and depend on load order.  Major conflicts will crash to desktop.  I have had the problem of the game just stopping, nothing moves, mouse won't move, nothing but ctrl/alt/del.  There was a well problem that was fixes.  I had the problem trying cc with anything more than simple start condition and more than a few mods added to it.  Same with currant test map.   So I am wonder if others have had similar freeze ups and if the problem is mod related or video card related.

kid1293

I have no real knowledge about that 'freeze' but I have had it
several times. I am testing a lot of (halfdone) code.
I have a good graphics card so the problem is in the code, I think.

Paeng

A total freeze, where nothing but a reboot helps? I've had that maybe 2 or 3 times in as many years... not sure about the cause   :-\
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Oenanthe

I used to have problems where the game seemed to freeze for no apparent reason, then I realised the cat kept putting a paw on the space bar.

Abandoned

@Oenanthe oh, I can relate to that, I had one kitty that would paw at the mouse, the one I have now is not a laptop so is in the clear. 

Thanks for replies, maybe will never know or there'll be more thoughts or ideas.  I took several mods out of currant map so I will see what happens.  Hopefully nothing.

Necora

If you tab out do you get an error or an xxx has stopped working? I've had a freeze a few times, usually when testing things, and when I tab out there is an error hiding in the background that for some reason doesn't pop up it just sits there.

Abandoned

@Necora when I ctrl/alt/del it goes to task master to end program, nothing else unfreezes it.  Once I did get a strange error message box I had never seen before.  I am really glad this game has an auto save.  :)

QueryEverything

@Abandoned I had a game freeze, and not really a crash, but just freeze, and spent many hours looking into it.
In my most recent case it was the mod "Pesky Produce" and for some reason whenever a Bannie would go to the orchard to start work, the game would 'freeze' to white "Not Responding" state. 

I have found when these sort of crashes happen, it's when a Bannie is working on something new, either going to a new job, or starting a build job etc. 

The time before "Pesky Produce" it was when the Bannies were attempting to use a new tool (which the mod was in Beta and was expected it would happen), and when attempting to build a new production building, and there was a wrong line of code - and it was sorted out too.

My advice (if you will have it) is to:
- load the map again, and pause it straight away (if you hadn't done so prior to the save)
- freeze all building projects (if you have any, by making sure you have frozen all the building sites, it means that the Laborers won't access them either.),
- set all the production lines to 0 workers, and see what happens. 

If the game doesn't crash, start slowly setting builders back to work, if they complete, then start slowly setting the rest of the workforce back to work.  See if you can narrow the fault down from there.

If it still crashes whilst Bannies are 0 on everything, then it may be a corrupt map. 
Save the map, exit the game, delete the Autosav file, load the game, load the map, freeze all buildings, and continue the above walkthru until you can find a trigger.

The April Pesky saga can be found here:  http://blackliquidsoftware.com/index.php?/topic/420-maritimes-edition/&do=findComment&comment=6946

Good luck on finding the bug you have, I hope it doesn't take as long as it did for me.
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Abandoned

thanks for reply @QueryEverything . I rarely have enough builders to work on multiple building projects at the same time.  I am thinking problem is either related to game version 1.0.6 and some mods 1.0.7 with new flags & limits, had freeze with stone house town hall, or in the case of cc, too much for video card. I could only play cc with minimum number of mods and only simple map starts.  The last freeze happened when placing a free to build deco item. I wonder if it has something to do with the frame rate because it's happened after moving across the map and click something and freeze. Who knows?  I always delete that auto save file after a problem but I've had few problems till recently.  I had some trial and error choosing mods for new map, so I am hoping the problem won't reoccur.  I have to remember to save more often just in case.  :)

I tried pesky produce a while back with no problem.

RedKetchup

mods 1.0.7 on a 1.0.6 without any new Custom0-9 flags are absolutely no problem !!!!
mods 1.0.7 on a 1.0.6  with any new Custom0-9 flags are absolutely HUGE problem !!!!
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

QueryEverything

Quote from: Abandoned on May 12, 2017, 09:13:29 PM
thanks for reply @QueryEverything . I rarely have enough builders to work on multiple building projects at the same time.  I am thinking problem is either related to game version 1.0.6 and some mods 1.0.7 with new flags & limits, had freeze with stone house town hall, or in the case of cc, too much for video card. I could only play cc with minimum number of mods and only simple map starts.  The last freeze happened when placing a free to build deco item. I wonder if it has something to do with the frame rate because it's happened after moving across the map and click something and freeze. Who knows?  I always delete that auto save file after a problem but I've had few problems till recently.  I had some trial and error choosing mods for new map, so I am hoping the problem won't reoccur.  I have to remember to save more often just in case.  :)

I tried pesky produce a while back with no problem.
Pesky shouldn't be a problem for you anyway as you don't run Banished 1.07, not sure exactly why it's not bugging out, but I'm ok not using it anymore.

Oh, the moving fast then clicking something is a crash that a few people have had previously, but it's not always the case with you?  That's not the only reason for the crash?
You have the problem with the deco item as well.   

Does the crash happen even with the mod is disabled, where the tree is from, and is it only on this particular map?
If the answer is yes to either, I would seriously consider setting everything to 0, pause all builds, set all Bannies to Laborers, wait a few mins then slowly start them working again, food items first so no starving, and see where the crashes happen then.

It could just be a memory lag issue, or there could be a bug with a mod. 

Quote from: RedKetchup on May 12, 2017, 11:51:47 PM
mods 1.0.7 on a 1.0.6 without any new Custom0-9 flags are absolutely no problem !!!!
mods 1.0.7 on a 1.0.6  with any new Custom0-9 flags are absolutely HUGE problem !!!!
+1 Red :)
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Abandoned

@RedKetchup on Newport Map I had several 1.0.7 mods with the new flags but nothing that was producing the new flag items, I had no problem with the map except the town hall which would have the new limits listed.  I loaded a previous save and did not try to build the town hall and I had no further problem the whole map.  I try to choose only mods that are new flag ready and not actually using the new flags.

@QueryEverything I am pretty sure cc was just too much for this video card. I only had a few of their own mods, and then could only use simple terrain starts and did have some lag when snow or rain later in the map.  New mods here are getting pretty big and relying on using other mods with them, might be getting too big for some of us.  cc was the only small map with lag problem I've had.  Sure hope they continue breaking it into modular.

I don't know if I would use pesky produce again either, I think there would be a conflict with any mod that spawns items.  I remember disabling a lot of red warning mods just to try it. (before new community toolbar reds).

Regarding currant map start attempts, choose mods used before with no problem and compatible with the North. ( Yes, starting new map I deactivate all mods and exit, choose mods, okayed, then exit again.  Rarely have I added a mod to a game in progress.) Back to currant, checked all red conflicts again removed some 107s retried, repeat. Finally got no problem in first year so good to go.  Then tied to put deco rowboat from North v5 on the river and it froze.  Reloaded and did not try to build rowboat again yet.  Will try again and see what happens, maybe @Nilla or someone using the North could try it and see what happens. The rowboat is with the North deco items under the house icon.

Other than that there seems to be no problem yet and no lag.  So we shall see. Thanks, query   

RedKetchup

but also in 1.0.6 there is some bugs around with townhalls that has been fixed in the beta 1.0.7. dont forget that, you arent bug fixed :P
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Tom Sawyer

Indeed. And this deco rowboat is a work in progress @Abandoned. It slipped through my fingers while baking version 5.1. It has not to be there and is removed in the current download. Sorry!

Good luck with your current story. "NMT" is a nice idea. ;D

Abandoned

@RedKetchup oh, I did forget about that bug fix, thanks for reminding me?  Tiny town hall I am using here is still 1.0.6

@Tom Sawyer no need to apologize, I am relieve it was the rowboat and not a more serious problem with map or mod.  I have played to year 5 with no other problem.  Now I must catch up with the story.

I hope you both enjoy the story as much as I am enjoying using these 2 mods, The North and Medieval Town together.

I think it is our great modders who deserve the gold star achievement awards.  :)