News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla, Firestelluride - testing the North, Ironman

Started by Nilla, January 10, 2017, 05:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

I have played my Elkhorning from time to time, also the last week. There wasn't much new to tell, so I haven't written anything. As the number of adults grew, I expanded the settlement. It is very obvious; a settlement can support about 50% students+children. If it's getting more, the store of food gets down, if it's getting less, the store increases. At least this is valid on harsh, the way I play, without/with just a few additional mods. If it's real time aging or vanilla doesn't matter.

As I stopped, it was a period of many "unproductive". You can see, that the food storage are getting down. There has been many old age deaths lately, so more or less every couple has a house. There are many students, who soon will graduate. They would have had to stay at their parents a bit longer. I can build another 1-2 trading port. There are enough tools and Nordic coats in the stores to sell. As the number of adults again increases, I could have built some more food producers and sent more workers into the mines (I had to close some of my tool production, because I hadn't enough ore and not enough miners). I see no big crisis coming.

I have decided to make an end now. I've played 70 years, the same as the last iron game. There are more people here, but not much more; about +50%. As I've said it isn't possible to grow fast, at least not on harsh. The settlement isn't very big, only 129 inhabitants. 2 screenshots shows more or less everything. I've cut in some graphs.

Tom Sawyer

Thank you very much for your iron games @Nilla. It was nice to follow and to learn about how it works, because it was just a shot in the dark to make +100% of needed food and clothing. I will make an update with students at 10 years. Apart from that I would like to keep it this way if you don't have other suggestions. The difficulty via food is a mixed thing. It needs much more active playing and thinking about productivity and trading and that's good. But it also makes the game progress very slow as you showed. So it's an interesting option for a real challenge but only if you don't want a fast progress. The coat per 2 years instead of 4 is for me the better balance, also for a normal game. But it's to be balanced via production numbers there. I will not change the citizen.rsc in the Nordic mod itself.

Nilla

Yes, becoming a student with 10 is better than 12. Maybe you could also think about increasing the distance between the children. As it is now; you build a house for a family of 5. It takes about 4 years and the house is full. Maybe, if you build enough houses, there could be a second "batch" of children around 20 years later. I think it would be better for the game, with maybe 4 years between the children.

As you could see, it's hard but possible to give the Bannis +100% food. The +100% clothes only have an importance at the beginning, before you have any sheep. With only reindeer, it's hard (when not impossible) to give everyone clothes. Later, you don't notice so much. You need a lot of sheep and you don't get quite as many Nordic coat to export but still no problem.