News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Newport - Story 12

Started by Abandoned, April 14, 2017, 04:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

I have tried to get chapter 5 and the pictures posted several times today.  I finally got the chapter and 2 of the pictures posted.  This is an attempt to post the other 4.  All 4 won't post, trying 3.  okay 2 out of 3.

kid1293

This upload problem has happened to me as well.
I even tried to reduce the size the pictures, no luck.
It appears to be certain hours of the day, not sure.

I really like the way you build your settlements @Abandoned .
It is the way of colonizing immigrants, everyone got their own piece of land.
When I build, it always become clusters of buildings.
Crowded, busy and not so good looking.

Abandoned

hi @kid1293 , I had the upload picture problem only once before and discovered that I had only renamed the screenshot instead of saving it in an acceptable format.  That wasn't the case here and strangely it is only the 3 pics taken in winter that won't post.  So I got the screenshots out of the recycling bin and reconverted them. I'll try to post the last 2 again.   I also had a problem early on trying to save as draft or posting and lost the chapter.  Since then, I type the chapter in Wordpad program then copy paste here.  Good thing this has spell check.   :)

I always reach the point in every map where it gets a little too crowded for my tastes too, your tiny mods and workplaces delay that overcrowding, and look really wonderful I might add. I dislike turning nomads away.  I also especially like houses or other building that a 2nd floor house can be added to it.  And the crop fields provide such nice open spaces and it is so nice to have a reliable seed merchant.  :)

I hope I can get the next chapter done later today.  Let's see if I can get the last 2 picture of chapter 5 posted here.

Nope, didn't work, says web page has expired.  Oh well, better luck next chapter I hope.  :)

RedKetchup

it happends to me often. and i always tried to figure out why it is happening and i dont really know.
we have an unlimited storage plan but it is like we are automatically limited but need an admin to make the limite go up further each time we hit it....
or their server harddrives are full and their need to regulary sweep some space ^^

i dunno , it was the most plausible answers to my brain questions ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

Thanks for input @RedKetchup .   I wonder if the problem would have anything to do with how many users are online at the time,  like Kid said the time of day.  There's been a lot more activity on the site lately and uploading and downloading.  I will try next chapter with pictures later or tomorrow.

Abandoned

Chapter 6

Year 9 did not go nearly as well.  It started out okay with 8 more nomads arriving.  We welcomed the new workers, a hunter, fisherman, honeyseeker, our 3rd forester, and a 2nd builder.  We needed more housing for the new families.

That spring Newport suffered its 1st tragic loss, Ofelisha from the blue bungalow died in childbirth along with the newborn.  Muhammed and Anti's girl, Chelly age 7, moved in with Landy to help out with little Gracy who was only 2 at the time.  We were all saddened by the loss and wished we had a chapel built.

We did have several more houses built as the new wheat crop glistened in the summer sun and the crop field next to it waited for the pumpkin seeds we just bought to be planted next spring.  We town founders remembered the bright orange pumpkins in the field behind the school back in Smallville.  Our new schoolhouse was built a short distance from the crop fields.

By late winter we were short of both logs and firewood.  We immediately took to the woods to help cut trees and a new tiny chopper was set up in the north.  We prayed no one would freeze this winter, we should have built that chapel.  And a hospital.

Nilla

I use a small trick at the beginning of a game, if I have an orchard seed from the start: I plant the orchard as soon as I can. After it's planted, it can be closed, and need no worker, just a little space. When it's grown, I harvest once (or sometimes a few more times, if I'm not as short on logs as I thought I would be), then I cut the trees, harvest the logs and plant it again. To be shure to have a supply on logs/fruit/nuts continuously, I plant a new orchard of this kind each year, until the first can be cut.

Another trick to manage the log crisis is to build a small trading port for building materials. Kid has one in is raw house mod.

Abandoned

@Nilla , thanks so much for the orchard tip.  I will keep that in mind. I don't usually place an orchard early in the game because I can't spare a worker, didn't know I could leave the orchard unattended after planting.

This map's starting condition had no starting seeds at all.  Choosing different mods and start conditions makes Banished even more of a strategy game for me.  Wood shortage here was totally my fault.  Well, maybe not totally, I'm using @RedKetchup minimized status box that I really like, but I didn't keep a close enough eye on the log supply because I also started too many buildings at the same time, was eager to build @kid1293  fantastic houses for sale.  On top of that, I spend way too much time gazing at the beautiful scenery thanks in part to @tanypredator New Flora and BL New Trees.  Thanks a lot guys!  LOL, seriously, thank you all for the great mods. :)

brads3

didn't you build a forester earlier in this town??? i usually find myself adding 1 after i get the start village set up. it gives a good way to add a gatherer and hunter area.

Abandoned

@brads3 the forester start condition has the forester stand built already so it is right smack in the middle of town from the beginning. These multiple starts are challenging, no seeds or livestock or stockpile this start.  I am also using Wildlife mod which increases radius, a lot of territory for the 1 forester I assigned to start.  I later built the garden shed forester and tiny chopper up north to get wood and firewood up there.  Clearing land for fields and buildings added to the log supply for a while but then I started too many building without paying attention, foresters couldn't keep up.  I add more foresters when nomads show up but they are uneducated.  Education rate bad. :(  Played a while before, things are improving, hope to get next chapter posted later.

Abandoned

Chapter 7

Spring of year 10 arrived and so did 4 more nomads followed by an outbreak of influenza.  We still had no hospital but the disease passed quickly.  We did however have a pretty little colonial chapel next to the town cemetery. 

We had another good harvest that year and again our croplands were beautiful, green cabbages, yellow squash, golden wheat, and bright orange pumpkins.  We now had a grinder and baker's oven. The townspeople took turns grinding the wheat into flour and we women baked delicious herb bread.  When Reddy the seed merchant returned in early autumn we gave him several fresh baked loaves.  He said we were his favorite customer.  Judging by the number of seeds he always had, we thought we were probably his only customer.  But no matter, he was most definitely our favorite most reliable river boatman. It was only our 10th year and we had 4 crops planted including wheat.  We just wished we could get some of our bountiful harvest back to Smallville.  We gave Reddy a jar of wild honey to go with the bread before he went on his way.

On a cold winter day, we were thrilled when a livestock merchant arrived at our tiny north port with sheep.  We only had enough trade goods for 3 of them.  He went on his way with a still warm-from-the-oven loaf of bread leaving us with visions of soft wool coats and warm woolen mitten.

By late winter our new colonial hospital was completed near the greenhouse, a convenient location but a safe distance from the center of town.  It was bigger than we needed and we hoped we would not be needing it often.

Nilla

It´s such a sweet little village! :)

Abandoned

Thank you @Nilla .  These great mods add such wonderful colors  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 8

We had just barely enough logs and firewood to see us through until spring of year 11.  We were also short of iron but our tool and clothing supply was good.  We still needed housing, we had 22 families but only 19 houses.  Newport's population was now 67, 39 adults, 7 students, and 21 young children, only 18% of us were educated.

That was one of the most beautiful springs I could remember.  Although the air was cool the sun felt warm upon one's skin, and a gentle breeze shimmer the newly opening birch leaves.  Wild roses and daffodils were already blooming and the wild bees were just beginning to emerge and all seemed right with the world.

We added a forester, hunter, and fisherman to our workforce when 11 more nomads arrived.  Vestevan the seed merchant arrived at the north port shortly before Reddy returned to our main port.  We bought no seeds this time.  Our crop fields were even more beautiful this year.  The cultured flax we bought earlier in the year got planted in time for a full harvest.  Sadly Valoridan the farmer died of a weak heart that winter.

Nilla

I would wish such a spring, too! It's soon may. This morning it snowed!  >:( :(

You have very few educated; do you somehow plan how you use them? You are short on logs and firewood. In that case, I would try to let foresters and woodcutter be educated. It's not always easy but I always try to locate uneducated, where they do as little harm as possible and educated close to blacksmiths and tailors. You can use the small chopper from Kid, it's cheap, and build one where many educated live and/or let people swap houses. I find it better to let uneducated do things like farming and fishing, where they don't destroy valuable material (like blacksmiths tailors or choppers) . The same with laborers when they collect iron and stones; uneducated get less material from each pile and less log from each tree. I always try to avoid that as far as possible.