News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Ambril and followers- Nilla´s latest modtest

Started by Nilla, May 06, 2017, 02:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

I have tested the My Precious mod and it works @Abandoned. No conflict and green in your mod list. All the stuff is flagged as textile. That means you can use the coin limit for production, it will be brought by export merchants together with nordic coins and it will be stored in the nordic bank.

I cannot say how much the purchasing power of merchants will decrease with this mod. They will bring a lot of junk like diamonds (worth 6) instead of dalers (worth 100) but maybe the amount is high enough to compensate it. You will find out. :)

Gatherer

@Abandoned I have used My Precious mod in my last town and I wish I had not. I've built 4 mines and filled them with 6-8 workers each and was producing ~50 gold nuggets per mine every year. So fas so good if only the toolsmiths would produce enough coins. But 1 gold nugget only gives 1 coin worth 12 trade value. Plus the toolsmith building is too big for only 2 workers.

For a small starter town it's not so bad. On the other hand minting coins on your own should be reserved for when you have a big and fully developed town in mid-to-late game in my opinion.

Now if there's been an update for this mod I don't know. Maybe the numbers have been fixed.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Nilla

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on May 10, 2017, 02:57:23 AM
I can make the wooden chapel standalone without function to place it in addition as you like. But was it really Nilla who is asking for a decorative version of it? ;D

Yes I was! I'm not sure, that I would use it much myself. But because I don't have the skill to build these nice towns myself, I don't lack the ability to understand people who can. ;)

At the trapper you found a bug. There is a textile flag in it which makes them follow the coins instead of materials. Your trappers were stopping when you had 200 or more coins in barns. It will be fixed in 5.1 which I will upload next days. In your current game you can increase the coin limit in your village hall. It's not in the limit tool because useless (normally).

OK, that explains the weird behaviour. I'm glad you found the reason and my game could help a bit. It did occur just as I could save a few daler. So, I did build a bank. Really not much of use, because things changed. I had to buy some more grain and vegetables and the export merchant weren't always rich enough, to buy all my stuff, so the bank normally looks like the second picture.  :(

And I don't wonder why you are "swimming" in logs. They are growing in this lake. ;)

Yes! It's not as weird as it looks. In fact quite logical, in a lake like that. I don't know, if you're familiar with, how logs were transported from the big forests to the saws and papermills at the coast 100, 200 years ago as the industrial revolution arrived to north Scandinavia. They were transported on the rivers, carried by the stream. It took time but worked well. Workers followed the logs to make sure, that everything went well; log floater, if Google is right. It was a pretty dangerous job, as far as I know. They had to balance on the logs out on the cold river. But they couldn't be everywhere, of cause the one or other log went missing, especially if the river passed a lake like this. So if you search for it, you will find a lot of logs. It's real logs, not firewood. So the log option is the right on this location.

Maybe the output is a bit high of the driftwood searcher compared to foresters, that need a lot of space. But on the other hand, my opinion is, that vanilla foresters are too unproductive, compared to other professions. Here in the North it's a bit different, because logs are more valuable. But in a normal game, with vanilla values 100 logs for one worker, is rather too low, than to high. So I think the actual production numbers are as reasonable as they can be.

I have one more question to these Driftwood collector/searcher; The menu says, that it has to be at least 2 workers. What does it mean? I thought it wouldn't work with only one. But it does. You can't change the number of workers but it work with only one. I didn't ran it long, so I don't know how much less logs are collected.

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on May 10, 2017, 06:57:49 AM
They will bring a lot of junk like diamonds
;D :D

And yes, like @Gatherer  I can remember I tried that My Precious mod, for quite some time, and the production numbers were ridiculous. It's been a while, so it might have been changed. But it's better to send the people fishing, than to the goldmines. Nicer, less dangerous work and much, much more profitable! ;)

First picture

It took some time but finally a merchant arrived to the jetty port, decently built on the river. Do you use the CC-merchants, @Discrepancy:-\

Second picture.

The bank is nice, But I'm sorry to say; this is a typical picture.  :( But I shouldn't complain too much; my trappers work again. ;) Honestly, if you play on harsh, I don't think there will not be possible to save much coins; you have to buy too much expensive food, if you want a healthy population. On mild with better farming, it would work. But on the other hand, to what use will you save a lot of coins? When you don't have to buy anything?

Abandoned

@Tom Sawyer thank you for info on compatibility, I was not sure if My Precious would work with the North, glad to here it will?

@Gatherer I have used the My Precious mod before in Mountain Mines story #8 and did find the mine production to be low (thanks for reminding me of that) but when using the production chain for jewelry or statues it was profitable.  I have the old version with the jade quarry.  However, I am thinking more in terms of the story line I have in mind than profit at this point, maybe not such a good plan for the North but we will see.

@Nilla your logging info takes me right back to the start of Smallville if you recall loggers jammed up the river trying to get logs to built a railroad downriver, some died others abandoned the town.  I am anxious to see how my next expedition does in the North, yours seems to be going quite well.  :)

Nilla

Yes @Abandoned , it's going well. I can even store a few coins in my bank. :) It is possible also on harsh climate, but I'm pushing the trade hard; 5 TP for some 300 inhabitants. That's not really an agreeable way of playing.

There's one new building, I haven't said anything about, yet. That's the small diary hut. To work well, it need a lot of milk and I only have the normal cows. (I think there are mods with cows that gives more milk but less meat.) One big pasture isn't enough to keep the diary running all the time. The production seems to be in a reasonable range, quite good, if you have enough milk and the building looks sweet together with the old houses. You can build an old fashioned "fäbod". ;)

Now I understand what a "derelict jetty building" means.  :( I saw it in the description of the Driftwood Gatherer, but didn't really understand it. My first 2 buildings of this kind stopped producing. I don't mind. They have gathered all driftwood in that area, time to move on. Seems logical to me. But you can't demolish the building. I tried and it caused a great deal of trouble, the way I had built it; people can't pass there anymore and unfortunately across the (former) Driftwood Collector was the only way, to get to a few houses, fisher.......... I can understand, that mines and quarries leave traces, that they can't be entirely removed. But a wooden building? Makes no sense to me.

First picture

Sweet little Nordic impression. Diary hut i center.

Second picture

Demolished driftwood collector (red circle). Before I built the blue marked jetty, the only way to get to the houses and fisher behind, was across the now half demolished building. That's the reason tor the trouble. Advice: Don't demolish any of the buildings, that stopped producing. Another advice to @Discrepancy: Let the building material be the last collected driftwood; please make these buildings possible to demolish. ;)  :-\

Third picture

An over-all-look at the jetty part of the settlement. The long jetty in the middle of the lake looks a bit weird, but the builders are busy, building a market on the empty spot. It takes a bit longer, than the jetties. I had plans to connect the two jetty villages, but I think I will leave this settlement.

The graph shows the content in my bank! Not bad. I also now have 300 daler in each port. I need it when a merchant arrives with a lot of grain. With all these ports, I don't have to order any food. The small jetty port is different from the other. It has the "good" CC merchants, could hold a lot of goods, more than the vanilla and the merchants bring a lot of goods. You can sell all your stuff to the high price. For the North, it takes away the meaning of the coins.

Discrepancy

Okay next update I will make them removable... my issue with this was that we could just rebuild one in the same spot... oh well, it is just a game. I could just make it upgrade into something else I suppose.

Abandoned

@Nilla did the update work on your saved game or must you restart such a nice town?  Regarding milk cows, both Kid and Red have mods of separate cows, black & white or red & white.  I am thinking Tom has included Red's NMT compatible cows in the North mod.  On test maps that kept freezing up I had kid's black & white cows.  When I saw the small dairy hut, I took out Kid's cows.  I also took out a few other mods and then test map stopped freezing and I got red & white milk cows.  So I started a new map and if beginning goes well I'll be good to go.  :)

Paeng

Quote from: Discrepancy on May 12, 2017, 02:50:39 AMOkay next update I will make them removable... my issue with this was that we could just rebuild one in the same spot...

yeah... my idea was to make the slower "searcher" into a 'derelict' house (build farther away from settlements), but maintain the "collector"... or upgrade him to a regular gatherer or such...

Having both turn derelict is a bit wasteful  ;)

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Nilla

Quote from: Paeng on May 12, 2017, 06:25:49 AM

yeah... my idea was to make the slower "searcher" indo a 'derelict' house, but maintain the "collector"... or upgrade him to a regular gatherer or such...

Having both turn derelict is a bit wasteful  ;)

First, the are both similar fast; the annual production seemed to be more or less the same. I also built one of each, shortly after eachother and they both went empty at about the same time.

Second, your suggestion seems very odd to me @Paeng . If you're searching for wood in a slow way, you can go on much longer before your lake is "overfished", but if you're doing it fast, sooner or later, there will be no more wood to find. If one of these building should be derelict, than the faster: A punishment for "overfishing".  But as I said, I find it weird, that it's not possible to demolish a building made of wood.

I can understand your concern @Discrepancy, that it's too easy to rebuild one on the same spot. But at least, it take some time and cost some materials. An upgrade? Yes maybe. If we think this way. The close driftwood is all collected, but the collector has a skill in his profession. If he gets a boat and some equipment, he could go further and find more wood. That would make sense.

I haven't tried to upgrade @Abandoned. I like this town too, but a new start makes a lot of fun. And I can guess, that there will be some problem, if I upgraded, so I will start a new one. Maybe I will load some other mods; better milkcows and maybe some other.

Paeng

Yeah well, all that realism again... LOL  ;)

I just find the idea of having an occasional ruined building in the boonies rather charming...  :)
Once you know the "mechanics", you can build them a bit out of the way...
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Nilla

What is, if someone will create a decorative ruin, just for you @Paeng? No practicle use, just looking charming!  ;) ;D

Nilla

I updated the latest version of the North to this game. It worked.......... for a while. Then it crashed, as I thought it would.

In any case I had a chance to look at the new Achievements. Well, they are no big challenge!  In fact, you only have to set one footprint of a building, to get one. But I guess/hope it's just the start. Now when you've found out how you can make it @Tom Sawyer , maybe there will come some more interesting thing.

I almost forgot; I took a look at the new looking medium barn; at least as footprint (I don´t think it got built). Very nice. :)

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Nilla on May 13, 2017, 01:07:04 AMIn fact, you only have to set one footprint of a building, to get one.

UFF! You have destroyed my day. At first glance I cannot see a way to solve this.

Nilla

Tom Sawyer

I tried something with upgrade buttons to make the icons visible after finishing the buildings but as always with the nonexistent upgrade function in Banished it doesn't really work. We need an upgrade option where nothing is demolished or at least no materials appear and block the building site. So good bye, achievement toolbar. Frustrating but I'm glad you found this problem so quickly @Nilla.