News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned- North Mining Town - (or NMT for short) - Story #13

Started by Abandoned, May 12, 2017, 07:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

Just if you haven't noticed; that export merchant on your picture, pays the high price for clothing but the low price for textiles (wool, hides...) The next might be different.

And forcing dwarf descendants to sew clothing; better not! No merchant would pay a good price!

Abandoned

Chapter 12

Dormani, the resource merchant, came by just before the end of the year 12.  He had nothing we needed at the time but we saw his trade values were lower for everything except our seedling.  By spring the gatherer's hut by the trapper's cabin was completed and so was the hunter's lodge by the quarry.  The reindeer however still cut through the quarry going from one grazing spot to another. We wanted to be sure our food  and tool supply was stable before we expanded our mining operations.  We were still producing more food than we used and our overall health had improved.  Our population was 81, 43 adults, 6 students, and 32 young children, 43% educated.  Wardo, Killard, and Jaquelynett who worked in the charcoal pit, bloomery, and blacksmith were all educated.

In July of year 13, 4 nomads arrived. One of them had experience as a statue carver so a carver's workshop and a house for the family of 3 was built by the jade quarry.  We hoped Ambrosendo still in the hostel would hook up with one of the single girls.

We again needed stone.  After the crops were harvested and we had more laborers, we collected more of the stone by the lighthouse.  We also built a 3rd bridge across the river to collect the stone on the other side.  A group of us went over to see just how much stone was there by the foot of the mountain and low and behold we find another half-buried stone foundation.  By the size of it I thought there may once have been a large church standing here.  We collected some of the stones and kept them separate from the rest that we had gathered.  When it began to snow, I was about to head for home but paused to watch a most delightful sight.  A small flock of black grouse disturbed by our presence, headed for the group of trees some distance from where I stood, their white tails bobbing up and down as they hurried on their way.  I was pretty cold by the time they were out of sight, they were probably as eager for spring to arrive as I was.

brads3

i like how TOM made those easter egg places all over the map. it makes the game more interesting.

Abandoned

@brads3 I'll take that as a compliment to my storytelling, the mysterious stone foundations are not part of Tom Sawyer's North.  Sorry, but I will have to keep you in suspense a few days longer.   :)

brads3

Abandoned

Chapter 13

By spring of year 14, a special workshop center was built to study the stones we had collected from the 3 stone foundations.  Websterlin would develop special tools so the sites could be restored.

In July, 2 more nomads arrived at the chapel, Kellyn and his wife Belin.  He was forester so they were used to living off my themselves.  They wouldn't mind living in the northwest forest where we thought to build a forester lodge and probably another gatherer's hut.  They went up to take a look and made another discovery. Tucked away behind the trees at the base of the north mountain range they found an old mine tunnel.  The tunnel itself had long since caved in but they found numerous mine carts just inside the entrance.  These carts must have been used to move ore along tracks from the back of the mine to the entrance.  Some of the carts were in pretty bad shape but some could still be used if for nothing else than for storage.

Two different food merchants came by this year, Ofelicia and Gladyson.  We thought their prices were a bit high, especially for fruit but that was to be expected up here in the North.  When Dormani the resource merchant returned in October we learned our furs had a trade value of 18, fur coats 66, and our jade statues were worth 80.  We could buy a lot of food with those.  And we were worried about our food surplus.  Our harvest total weren't bad but could be better and we had not spent as much time collecting wild foods as we did before. All the new houses must be lowering our surplus. 

We needed to produce more food so we started construction of a hunter's lodge and fishing pier up in the north but by spring of year 15, our surplus was the lowest it had ever been.  We began collecting wild foods as soon as they began to appear but still our food supply dropped even after Fishermo and Leandria arrived in town and began fishing and gathering in the north.  Our food supply was critically low when Izeth the food Merchant arrived, he couldn't have come at a better time.  We traded the furs, fur coats, seedlings, statues and other trade goods for all the mutton and rye that he had.  Hopefully we bought enough to tide us over until harvest time.

Tom Sawyer

@Abandoned was shopping. ;D

If you have much rye you also can think of a mill and a bakery (from NMT) to improve your food production.

Abandoned

@Tom Sawyer , I remembered how much the rye flour and bread help at the North Pole Fishing Hole.  I found NMT mills and bakery for this map when I realized I had no small creek nearby for the Tjurko Mill, then realized I needed salt for bakery.  Planted another rye field and lost part to early snow but we are still surviving and enjoying the North.  :)

Nilla

Are you sure NMT bakery need salt? It didn´t before. I haven´t used it for a long time, so Red might have changed it, along the way.

Abandoned

@Nilla , no I don't think NMT bakery was changed, I think I know what happened.  When I couldn't find a close enough spot for Tjurko I thought of Red's old bakery and since I was adding DS Blaster mod to the map I added old bakery too.  Then I found NMT had 2 mills and a bakery I decided to use those.  The old bakery must have added the need for salt. Oh well, it gave me a reason to build a salt mine. I made a no salt needed bakery note, thank you.  :)

Abandoned

Mod Note:  Red's Old Bakery mod was added to the map, it was not used but added need for salt.

Chapter 14

By spring of year 16, we had given some serious thought to extending our food production.  We built a flour mill across the river and planned to clear a field for another rye crop. That was one very nice looking flour mill.  As soon as the snow melted we began clearing a larger pasture for our milk cows.  If a seed and livestock merchant didn't show up soon, we would move the herd to this pasture.  We could then buy more cows for the original pasture by the dairy hut if we had enough dalers.  What laborers we could spare became hunters, gatherers, and fisherman.  We also added a 2nd miner to the jade quarry.

When Skylan the export merchant arrived in May, we were surprised to hear there was a group of weary travelers seeking shelter up by the lighthouse.  Skylan said he hadn't seen them at first because of the large herd of deer.  When he did see them he tried to wave them in this direction but didn't know if they saw him.  They were sure to see the signpost so hopefully they will show up in town soon.  Before he left, we made a trade.  We now had 20 dalers and 5 pennings.

The 7 weary travelers made it to town but did not stay, after they heard what we had to say.  All but 1 was middle aged.  They came from farther north and were looking for their 10 children who would be in their late 20's now.  They were miners who were barely surviving when they decided to send their children south, they stayed behind to care for the sick and elderly.  That was 10 years ago, or as one of the mothers said, 10 years, 3 months, 2 weeks, and 5 days to be exact.  We told them that we heard of a Mountain Mines town that was founded by children some years ago.  More than that we didn't know but surely they could learn more in Smallville.  We gave them food and supplies and told them to go southeast to the Smallville sign and then east over the mountains.  We wished them safe journey and luck in finding their children.

In July, 2 more travelers arrived at the chapel and decided to stay, Callison and Guadalyn.  Callison said he'd be happy to work in the new bakery but we knew, didn't we, that if we wanted to bake bread with good flavor and keeping quality we would need salt.  When Dormani the resource merchant came in November, we traded for enough salt to get the bakery up and running, we had a good supply of rye flour.  There was room next to the bakery to build a salt mine.  Would NMT ever get around to doing some serious Dwarven mining?

Tom Sawyer

To need salt is the north way of baking bread. With the old bakery on top you would get the original recipes. But you need not much. To be exactly 20 g salt to 1 kg flour. :)

brads3

guess i am not the only 1 that builds the wrong building now and then. we need better notes as to what each require or make.if the mod came with a readme file, would we read it while playing the game though? i did try to compile a list 1 time. before i finished it i saw the problem. each time we load a mod we change the list.lol   some mods even in the write ups i couldn't find all the needed info either. like old storage mods and capacities.

Abandoned

Thank @Tom Sawyer , I am making another note.

@brads3 my lists of notes is in need of rewriting and updating again but plan to wait.  This is the first time I am using Red's NMT, I only put it briefly on a test map to see what it looked like and what mods I might want to add in with it.  I like it in combination with the North.  I liked the red and white color scheme at the North Pole too thought, the choices are nice to have, whole different look to the town. 

brads3