News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Sigtuna - Anders and Ella

Started by Tom Sawyer, May 29, 2017, 04:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

I also noticed that with the vanilla smithy the style was already broken. A proper smedja is the next object to make as well as a workplace to make clothes. There will be more such things in the future story because the mod has not a complete set to replace all vanilla buildings.

Gathering firewood, wild food and herb buttons are clearing tools. The hunting and fishing tools are workplaces and changed in look and feel to be more a tool than an object. Just try it @Necora. I also will look at your mods and see what I can add to my map here. It's difficult because it will not get along with beta mods if they contain new flags and UI changes. And I like to pick separate buildings to round my setting. If you like to load the red cottages in your game you can load it here (new update with AO): RedCottage.pkm

@Karlieb For this mod list problem some players have elegant solutions with different folders for different mod settings. But I don't know exactly.

The "galleries" are just small pictures with links to big pictures. You have to upload the files to any web space @Nilla. Writing the post it looks like:

[url=www...picture.jpg][img]www...thumbnail.jpg[/img][/url]

Tom Sawyer

Chapter 3 - New Friends

The third year went by in my village and it started with a real catastrophe! I'm not sure what was happened exactly. Maybe daddy did not care about the fire or the Nordic gods were mad with me because I built a christian chapel. We will never know but the smithy was burning in January. Luckily nobody was hurt and no resources lost. Life must go on.

My couple had no chance to extinguish this fire. Too far from the river. So the first measure was to build a well close to their house. Spring came a bit later this year and I sent both to the field for sowing as fast as possible.

In July a couple of nomads wanted to join us and my people really needed some good news after the shock in winter. Ansom (39) and Shellen (34) are not the youngest anymore and I hope she will be pregnant soon. At least the work will go much faster now. Btw, you might have noticed the wild rose bushes near my house. If you want them in your Nordic game too then you can load the NordicWildRose.pkm (tanypredator and myself). It has to go on top in your mod list.

For the newcomers a second house was needed and another project I wanted this year was a trading dock. The shortest way to the river leads through the stone field in the north-east and in September it was finished. I want to start trading next year, probably with logs. I gave the mini trader a Nordic footprint and reduced the capacity to 1600 (100 per tile). Together with the limit of only one worker it gives me a realistic feeling to have a very small dock and a reason to build a bigger trade port later.

I was a bit too busy with the trading dock and forgot about harvest season. Frost came in September and my bannies had to hurry. With 4 workers they did not lost something but it was really close. Important because there are now 5 hungry people this winter.

Sun goes down and my villagers to sleep. It was a hard year. ;)

Tom Sawyer

Chapter 4 - Contact

Today I played two years of my adventure and would like to tell you. My people had overcome the disaster of the last year and started to rebuild the blacksmith. The trading dock was finished and got some storage locations for a working logistic when the first merchant will arrive...

In march my villagers had their first contact with the outside world and I was very lucky with this trade. The merchant wanted to buy my 100 logs for the best price and I already was a rich guy.^^ After dismissing a resource merchant I could sell another 100 logs in year 5. With 24 daler I'm almost able to buy the first seeds. My farmers want barley or rye. I was also lucky with hunting. Next to the trading dock I could face a group of deer and they had no chance in this rocky terrain.

In December my couple had to suffer the next catastrophe. Little Jenny (my first child) was lost in the woods and a snowstorm made it impossible to find him. In game I was wondering how this could happened because there was plenty food in his house and also in barns around. That makes me sad. :(

But I have to tell a bit more. Motivated by the first nice trade I started a bigger logging project in the surrounding forests. I place some storage yards here and there and mark spots of trees to cut down. Not at the edge of the woods, more in the middle to make place for natural reseeding from all sides. This way I will not need any foresters a long time.

In Summer of year 5 I was going on a mushroom foray and happened to see a lone girl traveling in a valley. Probably she was banished from another village. I hope she will find the way to my settlement. Another couple of nomads arrived this summer and now I have a team of 8 workers and 3 children. Nice! :)

brads3

those starvation deaths seem to happen when bannies walk a long ways. i hve no idea why though. i have seen them walk by barns full of food and stay hungry. i try to spread markets out here and there more now,but i  am not sure it matters. if you have a lonely nomad,you might want to be careful. the other towns keep kicking a crazed teacher out who has lost her mind.
   i actually do some select cutting trees. i have to be careful not to cut my maples or apple trees when i do. i use it to weed pines out for NECORA'S foresters.

QueryEverything

@Tom Sawyer I have found that sometimes the teleport for the nomads is off a little, and either when they 'arrive' there is a map glitch, and they spawn in a far corner of the map OR they displace existing Bannies, and those few end up in the far corners of the map.

I now either at the start of the map, build a bridge over each stream and river, OR use a terraform tool and just land bridge it until I have the manpower to replace that with bridges.  I don't see it as cheating, it's a bug in the game itself, so I'm just 'forward thinking'.

Just after I accept nomads I will click through any 'warning' icons in the UI, and see where they all are. 

I had 4 homeless people last map, then I accepted nomads, just as a house had finished building, so then I still had 4 homeless, I ignored it because, well, I figured that the homeless were still the 4, and the new Bannies had moved into the house etc, but then I got the Starvation death notice.  So, I started from the previous save and followed it through and found that the original 4 homeless did move into their new house, but it was the new 4 Bannies that were caught up in the North West corner, and couldn't get across the creek, so I made a landbridge and got them back down.

The other thing to look for, if you know you have tools, but there is a tool warning, click on the warning and find the Bannie. 

It doesn't happen as much now as I do the ground work straight away, but every now and then they will spawn in an odd location I hadn't anticipated. 

I am enjoying your story, thank you :D

Ps:  Thank you for the little downloads you have been scattering through your story too :)
A question for you @tanypredator the wild rose, is that included in Tany's New Flora mod, and if not - will it conflict?  Thank you :D
(I use the NF, with the New Flora / Flax compatibility with Necora's mods, so I'm hoping that it will slip right in, if it's already not included in Tany's New Flora. :D
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Nilla

Poor little Jenny!  :'( Hm, it's been a long time since I had this bug. I thought it was fixed in some early patch. @QueryEverything, it has nothing to do with nomads, Jenny was no nomad. (Even if the thing that you describe might happen as well on some maps). Here, someone just go out in the forest to idle and doesn't find his way back.

I have a theory how to prevent this. I have no idea, if my theory is right but maybe at least something to think about. Do you have any idling locations, @Tom Sawyer? If there is an idling location, I think the person who wants to idle goes there. If there's none, he goes into the forest and might get lost. You have a well and a church. The vanilla versions both have a "happines radius". If I know you right, you might have taken them away, because they have no impact of the happines. How it is at the Mini trading port, I don't know. Maybe you ought to concider "happines radius" on some of these buildings. I don't think people idle more, if there are such locations. Besides, I think it's nice to see how sometimes people gather around these small idling locations; a well or a small market. They are "natural" meeting places for gossip.  Or if they sometimes go to a port, just to see if some, exciting merchant with news or interesting goods is coming. If it does nothing to the happiness, at least it's a simulation for human behaviour.

If I remember it right, these strange "get lost" bugs are connected to the map and if it has happened once, it's likely to happen again. So if you have no idling location, I think you should build one soon. I would suggest a very small graveyard. I seldom build any but if I on a rare occasion play "real time aging" I do. You will not have any old time deaths in a long time, but these few accidental deaths that will occur, unless you're very lucky, will have an impact on the happines for a long time. (and this doesn't seem to be a very lucky game; one fire and one death in 4 years ??? )

Tom Sawyer

Don't say such things @Nilla. My village is not cursed please. :o

I have an idle point and that's the chapel. If my people have no work I know where to find them. At the mini trading dock I never noticed them walking around but it's far away. My wooden well doesn't have an idle point because I found it rather odd to let them walk there. It's just a well.

So I don't know how it can be connected to Jennys death. With the behavior of children I'm not sure too but often I see them playing where adults are working or at workplaces at all. The time he got lost I placed a hunting spot a bit far away to get some deer. Kids should get a "play location" to not get lost somewhere.

With the crazy teacher you can be right @brads3.^^ But I don't mind. I have no school yet, so she can calm down in my village and do another job. I take them all. Male, female, young, old, fat, thin, educated, uneducated, normal or crazy. ;D

And the girl in the valley I found before nomads arrived. They always stand in front of the chapel when the message pops up. If nomads are spawned anywhere on the map and cannot reach the town I guess the nomad attractor of your mod is not working properly @QueryEverything.

Nilla

I hope, too it's not a curse. So my theory was wrong. I have seen too, that children often play close to working adults. It must have been extremely bad luck, I often build in remote places, see children there but haven't lost a one this way for a long time.

I don't think, that the nomads not being able to reach the settlement has anything (or must have anything) to do with the nomad attractor. It can occur in vanilla Banished as well. My (unproven) theory is, that it depends on the map. Nomads occur some place at the edge of the map, where they also disappear, if you reject them. The program chooses a spot from where the nomads can reach the "attractor". If the map doesn't have such a spot, these problems might occur.

Tom Sawyer

Chapter 5 - Ore and More

Two more years went by and my people wanted to have a proper place to meet and talk about future development. So they built a hall at the east end of their new village. Now I have a better overview of resources and can show some statistics. Thanks bannies!

Another task was to define an area for graveyards next to the chapel. It was a good advice by @Nilla and I will follow it. As you can see, the death of little Jenny had a massive impact on the happiness of his mom and she will probably not recover from this depression. An early cemetery would have avoid this. Reasonable or not but banny brains are working this way. If a free place in a cemetery then alright with dying of their children.

I was not satisfied with the wall of the original cemetery and have removed the fencing including building requirement. Now I can expand this cemetery easily and will place my fences individually. Or probably I will let it be a fence less burying place. All these little changes and adaptions of other mods I will release in a balancing update after my walkthrough here.

I got a new couple every year and with now 12 workers things go much faster. I still micromanage almost all jobs. My fisherman at the trading dock is the only full time worker. In April I send farmers to the fields, in summer I send all other guys to the forest for berries and mushrooms. In the harvest season I increase the amount of farmers if they have problems there and in winter they are in the forest again to gather firewood. It is already not enough fuel for my 6 houses and so a woodcutter has to works sometimes. The same with blacksmithing and charcoal burning. Hunting season is only if a herd of reindeer is crossing my settlement or if some newcomers need parkas. So it is much to do the whole year and doesn't become boring.

Toolmaking requires some attention because I'm short in iron ore. It is already a problem because there is very little bog iron in my region. In spring of year 6 I started a field trip up north to a small spot. But it will only help for 3 or 4 years and if I don't plan for the future I will run into a tool crisis. I was close to buy steel tools from a merchant but did not want to waste my money for expensive tools and refused. I need my few coins for seeds and livestock.

As you can see in the picture there are large swampy areas in the east and south-east at the other side of the river. Where birches grow there is also bog iron. I want to reach these deposits because the next mining location is far away. I already built a stone bridge (Mr. Flopsy). This model looks amazing and is a nice addition to every banished adventure.

In the statistics you can see my population growing by nomads. The education level drops down and is now 17%. It will be more or less 0 and a school would not help. That's the challenge with a couple start and real time aging but I don't mind. My food graph looks good and it seems it can be managed.

brads3

good to see modders take time to play.

kid1293

Very easy to follow. Thanks a lot!

Tom Sawyer

Chapter 6 - On Fire   

Reading the headline probably you are looking forward to see my sweet village burning. Sorry, you will only see my bannies on fire and I see fire (Red Ketchup). ;D

In year 8 my people had a midsummer celebration with a large camp fire. It looks amazing in game. Another nice item of this mod are the torches. Probably a few lanterns would be more realistic here but look at the house of my village chiefs. I really like it in combination with the rustic cabins. The only problem I had is the sound of the camp fire. It sounds as if my houses would burn and also after turning off the fire it was omnipresent in my village and kinda stressful. Maybe the area where the sound appears can be reduced.

Another fire is now burning in a new item I made for my diligent people. It's a Rökkur and I found it in the Sagudden Friluftsmuseum. In this smoking shed you can preserve fish and Ranson the lone fisherman (yes, he had trouble with his wife) is now smoking. It turns fish into smoked fish with increasing food by 25% to simulate the advantage of preserving. You can try it in your own game with the SmokingShed.pkm.

After all this fire and smoke I needed a rest and made a hike to the creek far away from my settlement. Nature is still untouched here and you can find wild rose bushes and observe black grouses or just listen to the rippling of the water.

Back to business I sent my workers on a raid to the other side of the river. You remember, I already built a bridge there. A lot of resources were to gather and my bannies could not get enough. I also decided to build a proper trading post to attract more merchants. I finally want seeds and livestock as well as bricks and tiles to start my own production. I was not lucky with the resource merchants and so I gave an order to get the initial building materials soon.

In year 10 the summer was very warm and I had the best potato yield ever. My poor bannies have to find some more potato recipes to no become bored by this stuff. I hope I can get some seeds before they will make a revolt because of this. After these first 10 years I have now 18 adults and they made a lot of hungry children. I still can manage it but will see how long it works with my uneducated people. I also want to create a new item for my next episode. See you!

brads3

nice story TOM. can the grouse be changed to look like turkeys? does the smokehouse do just fish or does it do deer as well?

Abandoned

Nice story @Tom Sawyer plus new items added, thank you so much.  Love the smoking shed for smoke fish.  Looking forward to next episode .  :)

Tom Sawyer

@brads3 I guess turkey would need changes of the mesh to make a long neck or so. Probably not so easy like the grouse. And the smoking shed only process fish by a fisherman in this version but venison would be nice too and I think also realistic. Would need another profession then. How is that in English, a smoker?^^