Previous topic - Next topic

Discrepancy

Thanks for voting in the poll.

Quote from: DesoPL on October 09, 2016, 12:29:54 AM
Dock buildings confirmed?  ???
What kind of buildings would you like?
A house?, Storage?

Quote from: Paeng on October 09, 2016, 06:15:33 AM
Good about adding another direction corner... I'd also suggest a corner piece - right angle (90°), but with a (diagonal) miter-cut... ;)
Very nice idea, I did also think of this.

Also about the jetty pieces - is everyone happy with the cost? or should it be lowered to be more inline with CC?
for example, this is the difference there is now:
DSSV 1x1 = 3 Log + 8 Work
CC 1x1 = 2 Log + 0 Work
DSSV 2x1 = 5 Log + 13 Work
CC 2x1 = 4 Log + 0 Work

*some may have noticed I do like using the Fibonacci sequence in the cost of my buildings...

brads3

i never noticed the cost difference and i play with both DS and Cc.i would recommend mayb dropping the cost closer to CC thou.how bout split the difference?? on the building idea: will it be possable to build them on land also?? just lose the stilts. CC is that way.i can build a wharehouse or dock house on shore. i would like a dock patio with umbrella chairs. say a 3x3 with 2 sides having railings so they could b built end to end. that way players could expand it. also a gathering type building that acts as a city hall. so u can pull up game stats with it. but not a city hall building style. something different. also is it possable to have more than 1 city hall ?? i have the rowhouse mod and use the city hall as an office in mine or production towns. but only can have 1 of each CH so far.
   if u are keeping with the dock theme u will want a reed collector/gathering space. how bout a piece witha pool to catch frogs/turtles and a place for clams,crayfish,etc? TOM is working on a crayfish tavern in his NORTH mod. mayb a catfish bar or restaraunt. how bout an old fashioned rickety looking moonshine still? mayb a foutain pool with a duck or swan.
    ohh to give u ideas,case you never played with CC, there are survival coats from reeds and feathers.

elemental

Quote from: Discrepancy on October 09, 2016, 03:11:57 PM
*some may have noticed I do like using the Fibonacci sequence in the cost of my buildings...

Hadn't noticed, but I did notice the P&H had I think it was 89 work to build. It struck me as odd/unusual. Personally I'm not fussed with how much work or resources something takes to build. If anything, some buildings (not yours specifically) could easily have higher build requirements.

Nilla

:D  ;D   :o Geeks! ;)

I didn't notice, but I love the idea!

Keep it the way it is. It's your personal thing. Even if CC is a big and popular mod, it would be a shame, if it would be the standard, to which every other modder adapt. Make it the way you feel right.

DesoPL

Thanks for voting in the poll.

Quote from: DesoPL on October 09, 2016, 12:29:54 AM
Dock buildings confirmed?  ???
What kind of buildings would you like?
A house?, Storage?

Quote from: Paeng on October 09, 2016, 06:15:33 AM
Good about adding another direction corner... I'd also suggest a corner piece - right angle (90°), but with a (diagonal) miter-cut... ;)
Very nice idea, I did also think of this.

Also about the jetty pieces - is everyone happy with the cost? or should it be lowered to be more inline with CC?
for example, this is the difference there is now:
DSSV 1x1 = 3 Log + 8 Work
CC 1x1 = 2 Log + 0 Work
DSSV 2x1 = 5 Log + 13 Work
CC 2x1 = 4 Log + 0 Work

I would like housing, storage and eventually some production buildings ya know making tools, alcohol etc.

Paeng

Quote from: Discrepancy on October 09, 2016, 03:11:57 PMis everyone happy with the cost?

To be honest, cost never bothers me - it costs what is costs, if I want the item, I'll build it no matter what...

The only thing that annoys me (not with your items, but generally speaking) is when work-time gets jacked up artificially, so it takes ages to build a fence section or such... as long as work-time stays reasonable, I'm happy  ;)

* Naturally, "World Wonders" are a different case...
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

gerns

Discrepancy

Despite all the comments above, I am going to lower the work time slightly on each piece. Because as it is now, it takes a lot longer to build my jetties across a river than a normal bridge.

Re:
Fibonacci sequence = geeky.... I'm not so sure  ;)  it is like phi, the golden ratio, it is a universal constant. Today it is seen as geeky, but it shows up regularly in nature and is part of an older human knowledge of sacred geometry.  ???

Nilla

I hope you were not offended by me calling you a geek. I didn't mean anything bad. To me a geek is a person, who has a special interest in something, that not everyone cares about. It's a good thing. I'm pretty geeky myself! ;)

Discrepancy

Quote from: Nilla on October 13, 2016, 05:00:52 AM
I hope you were not offended by me calling you a geek. I didn't mean anything bad. To me a geek is a person, who has a special interest in something, that not everyone cares about. It's a good thing. I'm pretty geeky myself! ;)

No not at all :)
I do have my geeky tendencies. We all do.

Discrepancy

Finally got some more of the bridge and jetty pieces added into the game for the next release.
Below is a new modular bridge, what you see is made up of two 6x2 'ramp' pieces, and three 1x2 extension pieces linking the top. The bannies travel it safely, and using both sides :)

Further downstream you can see a small capacity 4x4 food/edibles trader, he will take most goods in exchange for foods. It can be built fully on water/lakes or on  the edge of the bank.

... ohh and there will be diagonals of these... just some minor adjustments as a few of the pieces aren't lining up :)

Discrepancy

Diagonal bridges are still causing issues, this time I can definitely confirm that these are stopping the travel of merchants.

@RedKetchup, how does the travel path of your canal system work? I vaguely remember reading something how you staggered the path of citizens over your bridges? was this to allow boats travel to your trading posts?
like this:?
__
_#
#_
_#
#_
__

I want to lower the output of the DSSV Firewood Yards. Do others feel they are too powerful?
float_ workTime = 4.0;  -- most production buildings have this, is this the time spent actually at work during a year? has anyone tried lowering/raising this?
int _workRequired, is not in the Woodchoppers template file, so really I should be able to add this, with a value of 2 and it should be lower production?

@Tom Sawyer, have you lowered the vanilla wood choppers production values in The North? or is it the firewood production quantities that are different?

Tom Sawyer

The quantity of firewood is increased to create = 5 from 4. The cutter yard is unchanged but my single wood chopper got a penalty of 50% to keep the cutter yard in game with a higher productivity. I made this via worktime = 6 instead of 4. If workrequired is not defined the game use 1. The yard with workrequired = 2 would work like: chop chop chop chop - go to next use point - chop chop chop chop: firewood.

I would not change your firewood yard. It's a building with costs and not just a simple workplace like this action tool and should work like the vanilla yard. And I think that chopping wood should not be strongly limited via work time.

Your diagonal bridge looks great. This is a really useful thing for lakes and some river constellations where a straight bridge is often annoying or impossible to build. I hope you find a way to make it work for the merchants. Why not all tiles on "_"? For what do you need the "#"? And do merchants use these path bits? I don't know much about bridges.

Discrepancy

Made some changes, and it now seems I get merchants with the 6x1 diagonal bridges.
The 6x1 diagonal is actually sitting on 6x6:
String _pathBitmap =
"_#####
#_####
##_###
###_##
####_#
#####_";

So when both touch at the tip it is not meeting at all sides.

But the 6x1 Drawbridge definitely seems to be stopping boat travel, as well as the diagonal 6x2 piece.
I'm really not sure @Tom Sawyer why the boats can't travel through it.

elemental

I hope you can get these bridges to work but even if you can't, that doesn't mean they can't be useful. They can still be used in places where they won't block boat traffic, for example in the middle of a lake, connecting little dock/island communities. So please don't cut them out entirely, just put a warning on them.