News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Pink Water

Started by Paeng, May 16, 2017, 05:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

I think there may be a minor error in the coding used to create the water of the game.

When I place a canal piece on a river the water matches perfectly, however when i place a piece on the land the water in the canal  is a silvery colour.

Similarly if you place a piece partly on a river and the land you get both colours appearing.

calli74

I switched to DX9 then I get a silvery colour, with DX 11 I get the pink. I've been trying to test tonight while it's too hot to sleep to see if I could find a graphic setting on my driver software that would make it work but apart from getting the silver with DX9 which looks better but still not quite right, nothing else helped.

brads3

hmmmm sounds like our last president. everything was umm rainbow colored.

Bartender

Quote from: Glenn on May 17, 2017, 06:45:46 PM
I think there may be a minor error in the coding used to create the water of the game.

I'm afraid it's not that simple, as the bug only occurs on certain systems. It's essentially a certain combination of code, hardware and possibly DirectX that's at fault here, Which is a very tough nut to crack. What complicates matters even further is that I can't reproduce the bug on my own pc, which means that trying to fix it is going to be a complete shot in the dark.

Quote from: calli74 on May 17, 2017, 07:15:01 PM
I switched to DX9 then I get a silvery colour, with DX 11 I get the pink. I've been trying to test tonight while it's too hot to sleep to see if I could find a graphic setting on my driver software that would make it work but apart from getting the silver with DX9 which looks better but still not quite right, nothing else helped.

Thanks for sharing, this is valuable information. There are some parts of the code that work differently depending on which DirectX version is used, so that might be where I need to search. Could you perhaps share a screenshot of the silver water with me? Just so I can see what it looks like. I'm also interested in seeing how the ground looks when the canal is removed again; is it also pink/silvery or is it the regular blue?

calli74

Here is a screen shot for you, with one part demolished and where the gate is and it touches the real water, there you can see how the water should look, the rest is silvery or pink with DX11, this shot is with DX9c

brads3

looks like it has to do with areas that don't have water normally. is there a way to make a mod that will add the new water to the entire map so when the canals are used it would look normal? or just stretch the water texture in the game to full map size? might be the easiest solution.

elemental

Quote from: brads3 on May 18, 2017, 12:47:57 PM
looks like it has to do with areas that don't have water normally. is there a way to make a mod that will add the new water to the entire map so when the canals are used it would look normal? or just stretch the water texture in the game to full map size? might be the easiest solution.

Now that would be good. Sounds like it might be difficult to achieve, but who knows...

RedKetchup

not really. on the entire map the water will flow in ONE direction, entirely. thats nobody wants. streams should go as you want turn here turn there.
with 1 covering the map, the entire map will be one way from point 0,0 to 1024,1024 ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

ancientmuse

I've got the pink water problem too, and I notice that it only goes pink on the land areas but not the spots where it's linked to the regular water areas.

System:

AMD Phenom II x6 Core Processor
16 GB ram
Win 7 o/s

Graphics Card:

AMD Radeon HD 6900

calli74

I guess we better send all these naughty AMD cards to stand in the corner. Maybe I will get an nvidia next time. My husband just got a shiny new computer, so now it's my turn for upgrades, but will have to wait a while. My specs are
AMD FX 6300
8gb ram
AMD 7700
Windows 10 home.

Bartender

Thanks for the information everyone! I'm starting to get some ideas as to what the problem is. The next step would be finding a solution.

There's a few hypotheses I have so far. I've added some questions that I have for each, answers to any of those would be a great help in figuring out this problem!

1. It appears that the problem only occurs on systems with AMD graphic cards.
- Is there anyone with an AMD card that does not have this problem?
- Is there anyone with a card that is not an AMD that has this problem?

2. using DX9 consistently gives the water a white (silvery) colour, dx11 consistently gives magenta (pink).
- Is there anyone who has the problem, but the behaviour is different than I described here?

3. The problem appears to be related to the semi-transparent nature of the water texture.
- I've read somewhere that the problem did not occur for the irrigation system made by embx, can anyone confirm this?
- Are reflections and underwater textures (parts of the walls in the canals) still visible?

Paeng

1) can't say, integrated graphics (Intel HD 3000); i5 2430M (2.4GHz), ACPI 64-based PC

2) yes, confirmed - silver on dx9c, pink on dx11

3) yes, Embx Irrigation looks the same on dx9 or 11, same with Necora terraforming items

* Though not quite sure what you mean by this - here a screenshot (attached) -

Quote from: Bartender on May 19, 2017, 04:08:43 AM- Are reflections and underwater textures (parts of the walls in the canals) still visible?

Hth  :)

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Discrepancy

I can confirm it must be AMD...

AMD FX-6300 6-core 3.5GHz processor
16gb ram
Win10

RedKetchup

tommorow i ll give you a test.pkm to try :)
i want to test something. when i mean tomm.... it is i am not gone to bed yet, so after the bed and 4-5 coffee after ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Necora

AMD A10-8700P Radeon R6, 10 Compute Cores, 12GB RAM, 64 bit windows 10.

I get the silver on DX 9c and the Pink on DX 11.

Although, on DX 9C if I zoom out as far as possible it looks better. Also, having shadows turned on or off makes no difference, but having reflect everything turned on seems to make the reflections of the walls and trees look OK but not the rest.