News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Trouble with forum

Started by a50, February 08, 2020, 12:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuggistar

For theonlywanderer
I only use PC for gaming. And pagefile is more than relevant to me, and close the topic. This forum is not about this, but about MODS about Banished. Mods banished are downloaded in memory and pagefile for this is very suitable. For the speed in the PC that gives RAM, I mostly do not mind if RAM was.

For modern PC pagefile is not particularly necessary, but for old PC it is very useful, I know it without you. In pagefile for this I understand enough.
And there's nothing to argue with who has a better PC. If yours suits you PC then okay, I'm fine with mine. I just don't need any more, that's all.

tuggistar

For a50
If you like Civ IV with Mods then you probably know about the biggest mods of all for Civ IV, this is Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Caveman2Cosmos v.40. It is now almost entirely Russified, Just for clarification.

a50

@theonlywanderer and all:

I thought things were going alright.  I am playing an Adam & Eve game.  The couple's first and only child got to be 4 and then I started having trouble.  These are some of the things that happened.

1.  The game became unresponsive (frozen).  I could scroll, but that was it.  So I restarted.
2.  I was looking at some of the build options, and the game just crashed.
3.  I could only scroll the screen left and up.  It barely would move in the other directions, so I restarted.
4.  In the Options tab, I lowered the settings for the bottom three buttons (I think it was shadowing, reflections, and weather effects).  The trees sure looked bad after that, but the child aged to 5 years old.  Then, I wanted to check some build advice on the web and as soon as I hit Alt-Tab, the game crashed.

I did get a chance to look at the Memory Usage under Windows Task Manager one time, and it was around 5.5 gig.

Does anyone have any ideas why this game is not working for me?  It's so frustrating to feel like the next item I build will be my last.  :)

galensgranny

List all the mods you are using.  Maybe there are some that don't do well together.  Here is the list of the mods in MegaMod 8.  If you have some of them separate, disable them so you don't have both at the same time.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z6GM75QJKhjnSwZK4L4jPDZyYzcuzp6Z/view

Note that MegaMod 8 includes Colonial Charter. 

Earlier you said you renamed a file.  If you didn't name it back exactly as it was supposed to be, delete it and redownload it.  Never rename any game files.

I make sure to clear my computer cache often and restart my computer at least every two days.  That seems to help with some things sometimes, especially if I have been on the internet a lot.  I have no idea if that helps anything with Banished, but it seems to help my loading times at least.

galensgranny

Another thing that might make some general problems is Windows Update.  Everything was going slow on my computer the other day, in the game and just in general.   It turns out Windows had an update ready.  Every time Windows has an update ready, it slows my computer down.  After I downloaded that Windows update and restarted my computer, my Banished game was not so slow.   That probably would not make Banished crash, but if Windows is trying to make you run an update, it does make things not go so well in general.

a50

@galensgranny

Thanks so much for your suggestions!  I only run Windows 7, so there are no updates for that anymore.

The only mods I am running are Cathedral and MegaMod 8.  I cleaned the registry for Banished as suggested earlier in this thread.

Nothing is renamed at this point.  I only tried that once.  (Instead of removing MegaMod 7 from WinData, I just renamed it.  I think it was causing problems, but now it's not in the mod folder).

I am going to clear the computer cache and restart the computer right now and see if it helps.

galensgranny

I have Windows 7 and there was a new update around two days ago, even though supposedly there wouldn't be any anymore.  It was some kind of security update.   So check in your computer under Windows Updates and see.

galensgranny

Also, if you have a cat, sometimes they step on the keyboard and make weird things happen with how the keyboard works.  So if you left the computer for a bit while the game was running, your cat, if you have one, might have stepped on keys making some changes.   It's happened to me.  Maybe that had something to do with why you could only scroll in some directions, since the game lets you reassign key controls.

a50

@galensgranny

LOL!  I wish I had a cat.  But that's another story.  :)  Anyway, I cleared the cache and restarted the computer.  It updated for several minutes actually, so that might be the Windows 7 update you are referring to.  I restarted the game and got to play for several minutes -- up to the point of "Adam & Eve" having three children and the first two moving off to their own home.  After maybe 5 more years (the second couple still didn't have children), the game crashed and I was just looking at the screen.

I am so perplexed.  Nothing like this happened with MM7, but I just don't want to go back to it. 

a50

Wow!  I just discovered something....  I restarted the game and went back to the point I was at when it crashed before.  I found out I was hovering over a particular button.  I tried it a second time (hovering over the same button) and the game crashed again!  I can't tell you the name of the button, because the game crashes before it name appears.  However, I can describe its location and maybe someone can tell me what it is and why it would be causing a problem.

Of course, this is MegaMod 8.  Go under the Trading button.  As you go down the choices from left to right, the button that is causing the problem is immediately to the right of the Bootlegger.  Also, the last button (all the way to the right of the choices) causes a crash. 

Maybe we are getting closer to figuring out the problem....

galensgranny

I don't use MegaMod so I can't test anything in it.  I was just hoping that your scrolling problem was due to a cat stepping on keys and changing what they control in the game, since that happened to me.

Could it be that you have a bad download?  Otherwise, I have no more ideas.

a50

@galensgranny

Thanks so much for your help!  I do think we are getting closer since certain buttons are causing a crash.

a50

So far, I have found five buttons that make my game crash just when my mouse starts to hover over them:

Storage, Markets, and Trade / Trade Buildings / the 8th button (just after Bootlegger)
Storage, Markets, and Trade / Trade Buildings / the last button (just after Tiny Food Trader)
Storage, Markets, and Trade / Market Buildings / second line of buttons, the button between Materials Market and Minerals Market
Resource Production / Ores and Minerals; Mines & Quarries / the 12th button (between Precious Mine and Placer Mine)
Refined Resources / Tools and Forge / the 10th button (just after Crest Family Blacksmith)

Vimes

Even tho I predicted the outcome I still tried what you had found with those "button" issues.
Started a new game with MegaMod, which I do not use, and it started fine and accessed and built all those building that you noted you had issues accessing.
I'm not playing it anymore as I use the full RKEC mod.

As I mentioned way back on page one of this thread....If you play pure vanilla with a cleaned registry file what is the game like then...?

If that is stable then go back to the previous version of the MM and test that for a period to see if that is ok.

If stable then change to something more recent, as a test, the full RKEC mod only and go through the process of enabling, exiting and restarting a new game with that one mod.

See if that runs.

I believe that in the case of the RKEC mod RedKetchup released various light flavours for those experiencing issues with his full version of the mod due to their hardware limitations. There is the Light and Ultra Light version.

Tom Sawyer

Certain buttons that crash the game when mouse over sounds like an old game version trying to show tooltips with more than 3 building materials. Make sure you have Banished 1.0.7.