Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

City Roads [ a little project ]

Started by RedKetchup, July 31, 2016, 02:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

City Roads [ a little project ]

Hello !

i started today a new little project i had in mind since long time (since when i was building the Medieval Town Mod)

it is about "real" city 3D roads. It is not about just texturing the ground and work as dirt/stone roads are working in game but a real 3D in pieces with certain predefined width and which will have a road in center and sidewalks each side.
The sidewalks will be set at exactly ground level but the road itself, in center, will dig a little bit into the ground. just a little bit 0,2' depth. just enough depth that if you want to cancel and delete those, you wont need to use a flatten tool to get the ground back up :) This is giving a very nice 3D effect :)

The only thing is : if you plan to add a certain "speed boost" to the road (dirt +10% or stone +15% walk speed) you will need to do it before you set the road parts on the ground because doing that process, you will "flatten" the ground back up and the road in the middle which is below ground level will disappear.
(if you do so, you will have to trash the road part (trash icon) and rebuild them.)

The cost of these road parts will be set for 1 stone per tile. For example: a 4-tile width X 1-tile height road will cost 4x1=4 stones, a 4-tile width X 4-tile height road will cost 4x4=16 stones... The building work cost will be set at 2 working units per tiles (double of the amount of stones needed)

The set will kinda work as the canal system i did but with better graphics. (with real 45 degres turns)
(i will certainly also offer a "ghost" 1 tile patch in case you want to "extend" the sidewalk a bit further into houses footprints for better look)

I dont know yet will i will do many different textures... i dont want to make that as huge as NMT was and i am considering this as just a little project.

Some screenshots will give you a better idea :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Discrepancy

:) looks really good, and such a great idea.

RedKetchup

the textures will really match each ways the road will going like in this screenshots (not like the errors the Medieval Canal had - i am getting better with time IMO)

RedKetchup

Kimbolton

I agree this is a really great idea. Really nice! :)

RedKetchup

RedKetchup

The 4-Way done :)

btw, dont worry about the little dark brown lines you can see on these screenshots. they comes from the "temporary" footprints i am using. they will have their own footprints at the end. :)

MightyCucumber

Really liking the pregress! :P Are curves planned as well further on?

RedKetchup

Quote from: MightyCucumber on July 31, 2016, 05:04:32 PM
Really liking the pregress! :P Are curves planned as well further on?

curves ? i don't know. i have no idea if it would be difficult to make perfect curves :P

but i think though i ll try diagonals

btw Dead Ends are done :)

(and probably done for tonight, i have warcraft raid tonight)

RedKetchup

Kimbolton

Quotewhats about diagonals roads ?

I like them!

RedKetchup

not sure if the side walk ghost patch will be nice or not...
but i will still offer it :P

but it goes very well with NMT :)

Kimbolton

It looks really good in those screen shots.

I have been making really poor makeshift sidewalks in my towns using two different road textures.

This is such a great improvement! :)

Can we still put in trees, streetlights and other such things with this?

RedKetchup

Nilla

Nice, especially to the NMT-houses.  Reminds me of the canalas I always loved. I also think, it's a good idea to offer the sidewalk peaces alone. The big pieces for the main roads and the small in the same style, for the narrow alleys.