News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant - Rickettsville, a vegetarian experiment

Started by irrelevant, June 30, 2014, 05:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

It's going to take sometime to get to Awesome. ;)

Screen 1 - Late Spring 23, first move across the river. BTW, these two houses were far outside the circle of the market in the shot. The folks who moved in nevertheless went there for supplies for their new homes. There was no place else for them to go.

Screen 2 - Winter 23, decided the original forest node is stifling me. Going to turn it into a market/port complex.

irrelevant

Wow, somehow 5 years have passed. How lifelike  ;)

Screen 1 - Early Summer 28 - the original forest node has been erased. I went in and clearcut with laborers, then put down farms as a sort of mulch, to prevent anything from popping back up.

Screen 2 - the development across the river is going slowly. The realities of logistics trump the dreams of glory, every time. But it's coming along, with two fully-functioning forest nodes.

Screen 3 - Nomadsville is nearly unrecognizable. It finally is being developed into a balanced community to produce food, coats, tools, firewood and ale for trade to fund further expansion across the river.

Screen 4 - this area has never taken off, never had enough folks to put down there. I have recognized this reality, and prepared it for the next inevitable batch of nomads, with everything laid out and construction materials at hand.

Screen 5 - I never fully appreciated the power of a group of nomads until I put about 20 of them into this boarding house, and watched as they built this chapel from clear ground in less than one season. I'm ready for the next batch of arrivals.

Screen 6 - this is the Promised Land awaiting their arrival.

Screen 7 - I demolished the boarding house that was cluttering up Open Door Square. I think it is very attractive now.

RedKetchup

oh nomads can be powerful ! and useful ! but.... you amaze me ! how do you get so few farmers work force with all these crops ? instead of 32 ? i am always getting like 200 farmers lol with less space covered lol
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

One farmer per farm. The yields do suffer somewhat. I do micromanagement come harvest, when a field is fully harvested I take the farmer and put him at whichever nearby farm has made the least progress. By the time harvest has ended I have reassigned over half the farmers, some fields have 3 or 4 farmers working. Then when it's done, I put everything back.

Where the yield really suffers is on the front end, in Spring. They don't get fully planted before summer hits. But I get more food this way than I would with those same 16 farmers on 8 fields.

edit: to clarify, I do have 32 farmers, but 16 of them are working orchards. Those farms are farmed by 16 farmers. Mostly they don't get 840, although some do. Mainly they are in the 630-800 range.

RedKetchup

wow.

i just did -1 minus farmer every crop. i didnt saved alot but meh. they will have to do with it, and if they dont get food... their fault ^^

irrelevant

irrelevant

Screen 1 - Autumn 29, the nomads get busy building at Nomad Gap.

Screen 2 - Late Autumn 29, nomads bringing construction materials for the market.

Screen 3 - Late Autumn 29, planning the nomad forest nodes.

Screen 4 - Spring 30, all 48 nomads have moved out of the boarding houses and into the houses here.

Screen 5 - Spring 30, instead of the 16 farms with 16 farmers that I've been going with the past several years, this spring there are 27 farms with 54 farmers.

RedKetchup

irrelevant

Winter 32. Expansion eastwards along and across the river.

Screen 1 - Eastbank, the future of Rickettsville

Screen 2 - Old Forest Farms.

irrelevant

Spring 33 - This old forest node is definitely in the way.

rkelly17

@irrelevant, am I correct that most of your fields are 15X8 or so? How many farmers do you use per field?

irrelevant

Early Winter 33 - What forest node?  ;)

@rkelly17  Yes, they mostly are 15x8s with 2 farmers each. I feel like the oblong shape oriented east-west is planted faster and harvested faster than the square 11x11s are. Just a feeling with no science to back it up.

But if I have to choose between a smaller oblong field and a square one that is closer to 121 tiles, I'll go with square 121.

irrelevant

Late Spring 35 - New farms at Nomads Market in production. You can see 60 nomads crossing the Long Bridge on their way to the Town Hall. Had to turn them down, sadly. Way behind on housing as it is.

irrelevant

Going to buy some wheat seeds next chance I get; I'm curious to do a large scale comparison between wheat and corn as far as growing season is concerned. I think my current town is ideal for doing that, replace half the corn crop with wheat for a couple of years.

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on July 07, 2014, 09:55:54 PM
Going to buy some wheat seeds next chance I get; I'm curious to do a large scale comparison between wheat and corn as far as growing season is concerned. I think my current town is ideal for doing that, replace half the corn crop with wheat for a couple of years.

Be sure and post your results. I'm always wondering which is the best choice for grain. If I remember correctly, awhile back @slink posted a town that grew almost entirely corn and beans either here or on the SRS forum. Maybe she could chime in with her experience.