News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

3D models

Started by Pangaea, October 11, 2014, 04:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slink

And somewhere I read that some of those are ripped from Guild 2.  I have Guild 2 and the graphics seem to be in cmf files, nif files, and some spt files.  None of these will 3ds MAX import.

The problem with using the wrong skins on the houses is that the windows and doors are painted on, so that they don't show up in an appropriate location if you use the wrong skin.  The skins are made by something called Unwrap, which basically is the opposite of what that sounds like to me.  It causes the model to take its various skin pieces from designated parts of a single png file, as if the single file was wrapped around the model like some kind of re-used gift wrapping.  Without any idea what these png files look like, we can't change the skins except by more or less randomly changing spots and seeing where it shows up in the game.

Edit:  Well, I did find a program to convert nif files.  Apparently the brewery is based on a Guild 2 model.  It doesn't have the skins with it this way, though.

RedKetchup

you can also add a box of 1x1 with 0,2 depth and put it in front of it, (half inside, and half front of it) and painting it with your own door texture. but it will require to :

have their own name_of_png.rsc and name_of_pngTexture.rsc leading to this new png.
you will have also to name it in your 3ds as same name of your png minus the .png like i shown you in the screenshot.
and you will have to export it to .OBJ and reload it 'as a single mesh' option (which mean to redo your pointlist ^^)

and redo your build01, 02 ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on October 11, 2014, 07:53:45 PM
Ah, Name of the Rose, wasn't Sean Connery just delicious in that?   :-*

Well, of course. Isn't he always? But I had a colleague who showed students that movie so they could "get the flavour of the Middle Ages." GAG!  >:(

As to the houses, aging and weathering. This gets connected to my other hobby (model railroading) where I am known as "Dr. Dirt" for my efforts at making freight cars look "well used." Nothing in real life is free from the effects of being out in the elements--that's why models that look "brand new" stand out and don't look right. If you look at the wood houses, barns, etc. in Banished they all look aged--not new. The wood has faded and some has even started to splinter a bit. The roofs all sag. It would look better if there were an assortment of options for levels of weathering, since, as @Paeng says, different owners take different levels of care and structures are of different ages.

In our area there are stone farms houses which look like some of the Banished stone houses, so that's not a game-breaker for me. Maybe the problem is in the coloring of the ground stone--too uniform. Look around at the rocks that are on the ground and in fields--not all the same color. In our part of the world rocks in fields are often small and rounded (glacial moraines from the last Ice Age) and in a myriad of colors. Farmers would often clear their fields of stones and then build houses from them. Generally gray, but very mottled. That would be a nice look.

It may also be that the dark color of stone houses comes from the slate roof, not from the stone. Maybe some moss or lichen on the roof would help. Or some shake/shingle or copper roofs on stone houses. We have a couple of stone houses and larger buildings around here where the owner or builder used colored shingles to make designs on the roof. A number of Victorian churches have this. One fellow had a Canadian flag on his roof for years until the house sold and the new owners put on a new roof.

RedKetchup

but i dont see a brewery in guild2, how it s called ?

slink

Joinery.  Apparently there is a lot more glue in their furniture than wood, judging by the large pot out back of the joinery.  I thought that looked like a brewing vat, so I made it into a brewery.  It is uploaded as "jojinery", which is probably a typo.

rkelly17

Quote from: RedKetchup on October 12, 2014, 04:21:02 AM
i ll get back on houses after i will finish all the monastery/book done.

but to end about these 3d models .... most of them are coming from www.medievalworlds.com this is what its written on the jgp.

Too bad these cost real money. There are a couple of country parish churches that would look really nice in Banished.

Pangaea

Yes, it's unfortunate. Had another look over at turbosquid too. So many models that would fit reasonably well, but limit it to free, and there isn't much left that looks good. Probably has the problem that RedKetchup mentioned somewhere too, that they are just like a tinderbox, completely empty inside.

As for the stone houses, the main problem is probably that the roofs are so dark -- that's what we are mainly looking at from above after all. The same houses with a lighter coloured roof would help a lot, but lighter walls would too. Would be nice to keep some variety though, so that not all houses are like current stonehouses or new much lighter ones, but that we could "F" through different designs, also colour-wise.

slink

As best as I could determine, from one day's working with it, the "F" key requires an entire other model.  Not that this is a problem, but it isn't as easy as packaging up six different skins.  I thought I would try that with my markets, but it didn't work that way.  I went with the one skin, for now.

Paeng

Quote from: Pangaea on October 12, 2014, 11:11:15 AMSo many models that would fit reasonably well, but limit it to free, and there isn't much left that looks good.

I guess it just needs more digging around - e.g. I rather quickly found this:

Free 3D Models and 3D Tutorials
http://animium.com/2014/02/medieval-tavern-3d-model

Medieval Tavern or Stone house 3d model.
    Highly detailed mid-poly 3d model with high resolution textures.
    Textures – Diffuse and Normal maps at 1024 x 1024 pixels and above.
    Model is textured with Multi sub Object material with 9 ids.
    Easy to work with your own textures.
Included 3ds max and obj formats.

* And no, I'm not harping on the medieval theme... or this particular model... just trying to help out with a little 'research'!  ;)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

slink

Wow!  Five stories and a rooftop terrace.  That's some house.   ;D

Paeng

RedKetchup

lol the house model is not even cute, and dont fit in banished at all. unless you delete or burrow ALL the basement under the ground :P and redo a new door at the new ground level.

^^ it will resist every tsunami lol but with fall on the ground at first earthquake ^^

Pangaea

It's a cool-looking model, and amusingly I had the same thought as RedKetchup, that it might fit if the 'basement' was removed.

All these pictures could be more used for inspiration, though, not necessarily direct import. Some pretty neat stuff in there. All those farm-stands, a couple of barn designs, and the building with a barrel hanging outside it could perhaps be a tavern. A horse would be great too, although I guess we can't mod them into workhorses.

Paeng

Thanks Pangaea... yeah, the things shown in this thread are not meant to be ordered and bought, or imported 1:1 into Banished or anything like that... it was just to point out that with some searching one can find free and still good-looking models out there.

But mainly they were meant to serve as inspiration, to give some ideas - and maybe to even teach a few things, e.g. about textures and treatments and such... at least for those who are willing to take a closer look.

purringcat