Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Railway - part 4 - Forevermore - Story 63

Started by Abandoned, November 21, 2020, 10:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Letter 25  Early Winter Year 25

Dear Weary Traveler,

I have good news to report this year.  There was no outbreak of the unknown disease early this year.  By early summer the 3 freight cars were loaded with 2,500 toys for Santa and another with foods for Hometown.  The engine's coal car was loaded and the train was ready to go.  We were confident the small crew would not be carrying the disease from one town to the next.  The train was on its way in summer with plenty of time to reach Hometown before Christmas Eve.

Then it was time to fill our 3 sleighs with toys for Santa to pick up here.  The coal that remained in the coal bin could be used to heat houses and the miners could bring up iron until more coal was needed.  We would continue to build more houses.  Our schools were filled to capacity again, we built another Tiny red school.  Our food surplus was still lower than I would like so another farmyard and animal shed were built near the new school.

There are still quite a few last-minute letters to Santa to take care of so I better get to it.  I'll write again soon.

Abandoned

Letter 26  Winter, Year 26

Greeting Weary Traveler,

That last batch of letters to Santa made me sad and blue.  There were several letters from children who said all they wanted for Christmas was to have their mother, father, or sibling brought back.  It was shortly after that a 3rd ghost was sighted by Scrooge's crypt, the dreams, except for mine,  began to change again.  First was Christmas past and then there was Christmas present, but now there were dreams of what we feared was Christmas yet to come.  The dreams were all of empty chairs at the kitchen table or in front of the fireplace.   The cleric tried to convince people that the dreams were not visions of what will be, but it was difficult to carry on as usual or to think of the Christmas yet to come. 

When the weather warmed in early spring, several more trees were trimmed around town and more wreaths and street lights began to appear.  We had to concentrate on improving our food supply and building more house. Forevermore had 102 families but only 72 homes.  A Tiny house and another animal shed was built by the new school,  another Tiny house and farmyard by the cranberry bog, and a 3rd Tiny house and turkey farm was built near the others.  Two house that would soon have 2nd stories added were built by the new wheat field that was cleared and ready to plant.

The outbreak of the unknown disease that began with only 2 patients in spring suddenly exploded to 36 in late spring and our hospitals were overflowing.  We lost the tailor and a laborer.  Neither family were among those that had had the dream.  Because of all the illnesses work was again behind, only 2 of the 3 sleighs were filled with Santa's toys.  There were more dreams of Christmas yet to come, something had to be done.

Stay well, weary traveler.

Abandoned

Letter 27  Early Winter, Year 27

Dear Weary Traveler,

Yes, something had to be done about the dreams, even the smallest illness caused panic and stress.  The least sneeze or sniffle had folks rushing their loved ones to the doctor or herbalist.  We began building yet another hospital.  The cleric had an idea that sounded like a good one to me.  He said perhaps old Ebenezer's spirit was still not at rest, the Holy Book says it will be very difficult for a rich man to get into heaven. The ghosts disappeared for a short time whenever he went to the graveyard to pray, he suggested we build a large chapel there.  It may help these restless spirits to rest in peace.

We began clearing the land and extending the road.  We would need a lot of stone.  Another candle shop was build at the end of the road and street lights were already installed and being lit. The builders continued working through the summer heat and poring rain.  They took time out during another small outbreak to build another Tiny chapel by the new Tiny Hospital where people could pray for those that were ill and for the families who were missing loved ones.  There were no new losses this year and by early winter the large chapel was complete.  The interior was aglow with soft candlelight.  Miraculously, the cold graveyard mist and the 3 ghosts disappeared and all the dreams of Christmas past, present, and Christmas yet to come have stopped.  My dreams stopped as well.

Sorry, I must go, I'll write again another time.

Abandoned

Letter 28  Early Winter, Year 28

Greeting Weary Traveler,

Good news, by the end of last year all 3 of our sleighs were filled with toys for Santa.  More wood could be used for firewood now, our supply was very low.  We built a Tiny chopping block by the orchard stockpile and folks who were now sleeping better without the dreams had more energy to gather branches.  Folks were out and about more now with their children who were playing with their sleds and building snowmen all around town.  They were playing in the parks and visiting the reindeer.  The children could hardly wait until Santa would come.  Families were going out to have a drink of Julmust or hot chocolate and there was the sound of children's laughter and friendly greetings being called. 

There was only 1 minor outbreak in late spring that was soon over.  Our food supply improved and a few more houses were built that summer.  It snowed early again in autumn and the mansion children built a snowman in their own yard.  The mist was gone and the ghosts have not returned.  The dreams remained gone as well.  I must admit I rather miss the dreams I was having, they were a pleasant escape from reality and I was with someone that I loved.  After Christmas when I have more time, I'll write and tell you all about them. It's almost Christmas and there's a lot to be done.  I best get some sleep.

Stay well, weary traveler.

Abandoned

Letter 29  Late Winter, Year 29

Dear Weary Traveler,

The last time the mail elf came, I gave him my  letter to you along with the last of the sorted mail and lists for Santa to check twice.  I told the elf that the sleighs were ready for pick-up and was told they should be moved to the trading post.  We had enlarged the landing area and added lights.  Santa would need a milk and cookie snack between pick-ups.

Our holiday plum cakes were very popular, we did not want to stop production in order to bake the cookies for Santa.  A 2nd Christmas Baker was build as well as another Tiny Shed.  Our plum trees were doing well, as was the orange and nuts orchards.  Our jam shop was always busy and providing jars of jams for the gift shops.  Our wheat fields provided the grain for the mill which in turn kept the bakeries supplies with flour.  The hedgerows provided chestnuts for roasting by the park where folks were gathering after stopping to pick-up Christmas song booklets or visiting the chapel.  More houses were being built and young couples looked forward to having their own places by Christmas.  Outbreaks of the unknown disease were now small and few and far between.  All was going well. 

In late summer we were surprised by the call of FIRE!  A Tiny house was aflame.  Luckily it was close to one of our few wells, but still the house was a total loss.  At least no one was hurt.  It was one of the older houses and would have to be rebuilt.  Forevermore had 95 homes for 118 families.  Our population was 325 citizens, 194 adults, 53 students, and 78 young children. 

I must go, there is a lot to do.  Stay well, weary traveler.

Abandoned

Letter 30   Spring, Year 30

Dear Weary Traveler,

I hope you are sitting down, I have horrific news to tell.  It was early morning of the first warm day of early spring, workers were already outside, and children were on their way to school or already there.  I'd just gotten word of another outbreak of the unknown disease and was on my way downstairs when I heard what I at first joyfully thought was the work train returning.  And then I realized it was the wind, not just the wind, a whirlwind, a tornado, and it was so close.  I ran into the classroom and grabbed the hands of the 2 youngest school children and screamed for the others to follow as we dashed outside and up the street.  I dragged the 2 children with me under Santa's sleigh where we coward until the storm past.

The twister touched down just over this side of the hills by the orchards, it traveled up the orchard road then turned towards town destroying everything and everyone in its path.  Santa's Mail, Holiday Inn, and the 2-story house were totally destroyed.  I made it out with the children just in time.  The tornado hit and destroyed 3 of our 4 schools - sob -  only 2 of the 53 students survived - sob - the 2 children whose hands I was holding - sob.   In minutes Forevermore's population went from 325 to 85, from 118 families to 44.  Scrooge's mansion was destroyed and the family was gone.  The ghost of Christmas yet to come had not been wrong.

I'll write when I can, sob.

angainor88

Oh no, that tornado went right through the center of town :(

Abandoned

yes, devastating from one side of town to the other.  It stalled on that hill by the cemetery and looked as if it was turning to go back again but it dissipated

Abandoned

Letter 31  Early Winter, Year 30

Dear Weary Traveler,

Those first days and weeks after the tornado are a blur.  I, like many others, was in shock.  I remember being given mulled wine and food.  I was staying in one of the undamaged Holiday Inns.  When I pulled myself together and went out to tour the damage, I found our graveyards full and graves everywhere.  It was mind numbing.  I saw one building totally destroyed and the one next to it untouched.  The tiny tailor and textile market were gone, we were short of coats.  The work force was all but non-existent, and what there was was badly distributed. Gatherers were gathering food we didn't need but no one was caring for the animals in the sheds and farmyards.  The reindeer escaped unharmed but returned.  I needed builders to repair and rebuild necessary building.

I immediately shut down everything that was not necessary and reallocated workers.  The momentous task of rebuilding began.  The Tiny chapel and Carol Booklet shop were rebuilt.  Most houses would be rebuilt later as needed but the builders insisted that the Tiny town hall and my Santa's Mail home be rebuilt right away.  I moved back in mid summer.  There were no student for the classroom now.

We made a lot of progress by early winter but there was so very much more left to do before Christmas Eve.  I best get back to work.  Stay well, Weary Traveler and have a Merry Christmas.

kid1293

Abandoned

yes, sad  :(  I started counting as I placed deco crosses but I stopped, decided that 240 crosses would be too much  :(

Abandoned

Letter 32 page 1  Winter, Year 31

Dear Weary Traveler, 

The year began with another outbreak of the unknown disease.  Our 3 hospitals were intact but we had no doctors, there were 3 patients before I found someone to fill in.  In spring, I was surprised and very happy to welcome 23 elves and their 7 children from the North Pole.  They came as soon as they could after finishing their work for Santa.  They saw our 3 sleighs of toys waiting for pick-up when they arrived.  Thankfully the tornado spared all 3 and we moved then to the trading post landing area, no child would be disappointed on Christmas morning.  There were several builders in the group, a tailor, and  a doctor.  The 3 patients recovered quickly and rebuilding continued.  It was time to turn my attention to Christmas Eve.

One of the new arrivals quickly copied and updated records from Scrooge's Counting House and transferred them to the rebuilt tiny town hall.  I carefully went over the food inventory.  I would have the Christmas Eve buffet set up on the first floor of the rebuilt Holiday Inn 2 doors away from Santa's Mail.  It was closer to the big chapel where we would have a candlelit memorial service on Christmas Eve.  The candle shops were busy making candles.  Two of the builders were making tables for the buffet and beds for the rooms upstairs for anyone who did not want to go home alone after the service. The children were gathered together to make decorations for the buffet hall, it was starting to look quite festive and it was nice to hear the children laughing again.

We had plenty of cheese, sausage, and smoke fish in storage.  There was a nice assortment of vegetables too.  The baker was again baking bread.  We had enough gingerbread cookies for the buffet and for Santa's milk and cookies snack.  There were only a few plum cakes and pieces of sugar plum candies.  The plum orchard was severely damaged but may still produce enough for more cakes and candies.  The damaged Christmas baker was rebuilt along with the spice houses.  The Julmust brewer was undamaged but had no sugar.  Christmas Spirits was rebuilt but had no grapes for the mulled wine.  The sugar and grape houses were rebuilt.

I am so proud of the people of Forevermore and what they have accomplished despite all the additional heartbreak since the tornado touched down.  There's been 15 newborns, our population has grown to 134, 89 adults, 6 students, and 39 young children.  The adults have worked hard. What needed to be rebuilt has been rebuilt or is being worked on, and the other damaged buildings are now being removed so as not to be a constant reminder of that day.  Everyone in our Tiny town is in some way helping prepare for Christmas this year. 

And now it's the day before Christmas, weary traveler, and everything is going according to plan.

Note: Check back later today for page 2 of this letter.

Abandoned

Letter 32 page 2  Winter, Year 32

It began snowing early today, weary traveler,  a beautiful fluffy Christmas snow.  The street candles were lit early as folks made their way to the Holiday Inn buffet. It was a festive affair despite the tears over memories of Christmases past.  There was love and joy over being together, and fun and laughter with the children this Christmas present.  There was peace and hope for Christmases yet to come as we made our way to the Chapel that silent night.  Only the whisper of the wind could be heard.

The chapel was aglow with soft candlelight.  We each held a lit candle as the list of names of those we lost was read.  The Christmas song that was sung reminded us that our loved ones were not really gone, they would remain in our hearts forevermore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLvN0HqSkcU

Merry Christmas, Weary Traveler

kid1293

Abandoned