News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

THE NORTH 6

Started by Tom Sawyer, December 09, 2017, 01:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

I did not hear about a limited number of mods handled by the game but who knows. Maybe it overflows at 256 mods if not someone proved it with even more.

Just come here to mention a small patch I made for fixing marketplaces not able to store salt in the North. Thanks to @donwolfkonecny for this found! Download right from the talk of salt not working properly.. :)

darnokthemage

Any teasers on when the new update is done?

darnokthemage

Hi Tom, i have seen other mod on this with custom Skins for the bannies, have you though about implementing this to the north mod?

Tom Sawyer

I don't have a teaser @darnokthemage. Was digging into some basic things to maybe get a new framework for my content but last week I worked a bit on Banished again and while testing models, I kept the winter citizens enabled. They look more variegated than vanilla and charming with a Nordic touch. It's not easy to deal with this unwrapped citizen texture file and I could not make it better. So I recommend this one to add for a new citizen look when playing the North and if @1 wants, I would like to include the texture into next version.

Tom Sawyer

I only tried the winter set so far and I find it perfect for the Nordic scenario. I would not want it more specific since they have to wear it from Medieval to 19th century here. And the way you made it works with all buildings, in my opinion. Also with the old Norse style I make for version 7 and as far as I know they had such colorful wool or linen clothing rather than the warlike leather gears from TV shows.^^

How would you like the nomads when arriving in the North? This would be the only different set we can include in one mod. Some more changing connected with gameplay would be great but I think that's not possible without original citizen fbx file.

darnokthemage

Edited the Bannie to make it more "scandinavian, it is based on the 1500s Dacke, but it looks ambigious enough to be pretty much everywhere from the 900s to the 1800s, as Swedish peasants for example clothed pretty much the same from the 1500s to the 1800s (in conservative areas). It looks enough viking to be that, but also enough 1800s to be that. Imagine i based it on is attached.

I think we should base the people on real depictions, instead of the fantasy "generic man with white shirt" or the "generic woman with skirt and white blouse and weird leather jerkin.

Tom Sawyer

I didn't know these two are Finnish actors. I also enjoyed the series but not so much because of the man faces. ;D

Your nomad styles are very suitable I think. Good if they come in simple clothing without the applications of your winter set and then change to proper style (taking clothes from storage). I also like the darker variant you sent me and the whole summer set. I will test it in game. That's too bad we cannot change their texture by seasons or in a timeline. The only logic we could include are different nomad styles attracted by different buildings like old Norse people by a temple or ting stead and others by a church. But players would probably hardly notice such a feature.

darnokthemage

Is it possible to make different clothes have different skins? So for example parkas would look like parkas?

darnokthemage

They are still good tho! I think we have to ask mr sawyer first for his opinion on the matter.

NK

@Tom Sawyer Just wondering if you would be able to release the assets you've finished as individual mods for testing instead of us having to wait for the next North update. I've been especially wanting to try out those frame houses for a while now, as the current residences aren't ideal for denser settlements that demand narrower building lots. Also nice work on the bigger smokehouse, it's much more practical than having to micromanage several tiny ones...although I would still like to keep the smaller one just as a nice space filler.   

Tom Sawyer

Thanks for your feedback on the new smokehouse. The small shed I don't want to take away and it will keep the micromanaged way as an alternative. I will look at the frame houses, there were still things to do. Last days I came back to the trading post and want to finish it.

I missed to write a link here, so if someone likes to smoke in the lazy way.. banishedventures.com/smokehouse  :)

gabor

I was also using the new smokehouse, and; apart from the already-meantioned weirdness of having a negative amount of meat for a while; it was working very nice.

Tom Sawyer

Thanks @gabor, I think it can go into next version with this function. Last days I went through my models polishing and optimizing. I got some new knowledge about graphics in general after looking into other frameworks and it also helps for Banished modding now. :)

Nilla

We are looking forward to seeing the result of your new knowledge!  :)

Tom Sawyer

Unfortunately it does not result in something spectacular, more slightly better performance and easier handling of the expanding mod source but always good to improve that too.