News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

BRAD'S SETTLING OF AMERICA SERIES 3: Hulberona

Started by brads3, November 26, 2019, 05:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

YEAR 19

9 workers with 6 children arrive.they were sent to  construct mines. the DS mines are projects since they require different build materials. it will take these bannies time to aquire and make items in order to build the mines. the DS mod has some different looking buildings but they are harder to build,so i want to get the bannies started on this project.

in banished the trains don't move.we wil have to use some imagination.this mine valley will produce coal and other supplies that will be needed at the train stations.  while the valley grows,the tracks can be layed across the map. to give space for the mines and needed buildings,the tracks will wind around the mountains instead of tunneling thru them. since we are so restricted on land to grow food,this will be the last group of helper for a while.unless we have a labor shortage we wont need nomads until we get tracks layed to the north east corner.

since this is an RK base map,there is no clay or other DS materials to be collected.we will have to dig for all of it. the 1st step is clay  and charcoal to make bricks. a DS clay quarry and TOM's charburner are built.

pic 1: grape orchard
pic 2: Tom's charburner
pic 3: winding tracks around mining mountains

brads3

YEAR 20 REVIEW

population 145,19 students in 3 schools.36% educated but with an edication patch mod to help train the nomad helpers. heath will improve more with the grapes.happiness shows movement to the graph in the last year but the overall and bannies show stuck at 3 stars.

there was a slight issue with the pine church causing a work strike.they got upset when it became too crowded. these bannies never have enough firewood. with logs being hauled to them and 3 cutters,they never catch up.it was that way even before the charcoal burner started working.the trade posts took some fire bundles to help.i think the wood cutters are operating under the DS mod.or the mini mod wood cutter is more powerful than i think.

every year or 2,the railroad workers extend the tracks.in 10 years,the tracks went over the bridge and started to wind around the mountains. the mine valley and trade port is established. i would have liked to have another ine or 2 by now,but we had to take time to clear land for farms. we have more than doubled our field count.

the plan to stabilize the population will save us from food problems.instead of finding land for farms, we can work on building more tracks. 5 builders with 10-15 laborers should work well even with the long distance.the mine valley can grow with graduates to supply more tools and iron.GOAL for the next 10 years is to extend the tracks around the mine mountains.we will need a copper mine. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i didn't put wells everywhere and not every house is inside a market radius. the DS hovels are outside the bad circles from the smokey processors. i did that to see how much affect it would have. i would have expected some bannies to be happier than others. it is not working that way.

the good to this mod order- no disease outbreaks,without the safety mod.only had 2 accident deaths. just1 work stike but was overcame and replayed. the bannies are working steadily and food production is stable with the education patch. so far everyone is busy and workshops are functioning.

the bad- there is no pay off from all our efforts.build a school-nothig happens,increase health-nothing happens,add a market-nothing happens,etc. the bannies showing all or nothing makes it hard to daignose any progress. normally i wouldn't have as many vendors and no churches. that much time and materials would have been spent stockpiling supplies. the bannies would have a bout a year progress farther ahead of where they are.

is the map DOOMED? with the wood cutters working slower, i have concerns that DS's depression could still cause a major strike.  with my mod order,DS would tell me to blame TOM. LOL for now all i can do is hope the strike doesn't occur and continue to try to keep the bannies happy. as the grapes get distributed to them and health improves,hopefully the bannies will feel better. 

pic 1: yr20 stats and DS info windows
pic 2: production and limits
pic 3: inventory
pic 4: citizen graph
pic 5; start camp overview
pic 6: mine valley overview

brads3

YEAR 20 and 21

we need 5 more houses. we also need to dig an RK random mine for the copper ore.we will need some glass.an EB sand pit will supply the sand.the smaller pit will fit this terrain.we couldn't locate a DS pit nearby with the curves of the river.

we added a food trader. having more trade posts will call more merchant boats and speed up our re-supply. it can send marble and some pelts.

we took in  almost 10,000 food .finally the merchants brought 300 fire bundles.

we need another tailor since ours is working slow.the mini shop uses a blacksmith to make tools or coats.he isn't idle but  output is behind. subtle changes due to the happiness. a 2nd grape orchard is cleared to increase food production. to avoid crowding the churches,a small chapel is built near the forest bridge.

the DS construction yard made 100 bricks and then switched to making glass.

pic 1: RK random mine
pic 2: food trade post
pic 3: EB sand pit
pic 4: forest chuch
pic 5: stone tailor

Nilla

No, I don´t think the map isn´t doomed. You must simply accept and adapt to the not easy understandable and flexible happiness system. (There is a reason it was supressed in original Banished). It does work on all maps I have tested but you need to work with it and change your normal way of building. I usually build compact villages around happiness buildings with production on the outside.

You are right; it´s all or nothing.

Things you can´t see with the circles may also have an influence, also bad things that happened a long time ago. You can see this when some people in the same house have 3 stars others 5.

Mostly they need 5 of 6 happiness aspects, sometimes only 4 and sometimes all 6:
1. Wells, they have small circles, so you need a lot of them.
2. North sauna or inside the circle of a hospital with happiness radius and a working doctor.
3. Inside a market circle
4. Inside a circle of a church or graveyard with happiness attraction
5. Membership of a church with a working priest
6. Inside the circle of an inn with alcohol

DS also has some monuments and some buildings that may replace these basic buildings. 

brads3

WOW,company stopped by. it has been wayy too quiet. i sometimes wonder if i a writing to noone.NILLA,i greatly appreciate your coments and advise. i miss us debating and brain storming ideas like this happiness system.

you said it is  simple to understand. that is funny. did you forget my crazy mod order? my way changes things and affects the system. this is not ust TOM's happiness but is tweaked or added with the DS health and happiness systems.

as to "al or nothing",i thought by adding some happiness effects, the happiness ould go up some. i thought when you tested that the bannies did increase stars but never reached full stars without alcohol. my main menu window always shows 3 stars.now and then i find a bannies or 2 with full stars,never do i see anyone with 3 and a half or 4 stars.this makes it difficult to tell if adding something is having any effect.

the last map i attempted the happiness on did get doomed. the bannies,due to DS' depression,stopped working. they didn't ust work slower but stopped completely. that happened to the new nomads as well as the original citizens at the same time. a depression shoud take affect after a few years. if it happens to the original bannies and nomads came 5 years later,the nomads shoud be affected 5 years later not at the sae time. that game might not be able to do that with its coding. it may be another 1 of the limitatios of banished.

your point that the church,market, or well,etc must have happiness attraction added is valid.not all buildings are modded the same. it wil take lots of experimenting to figure out which do and which won't help.

when i added wells to the start camp village,a nearby bannie went to full stars. like 1 bannies by each welland the others stayed at 3 stars,even in the same house. it was a short lived boost.so the system acts gitchy and is sporadic. the main part of start village does have a market,church,cemetary,KID hospital,and a school. there is a brewer and mead closer to the lake and more wells. i built that way as an attempt to see how much adding this or that would affect them. when the pine church got full,the bannies did go on strike. they do not like crowded churches. they actually work better with no church than a crowded 1. thankfully this was the only work strike.

the DS mine valley has different buildings. the houses were built outside the bad circles of the processors. after this church was built,the pine was turned back on without causing a strike.to help prevent crowds, more buildings are added to the forests. i built some better DS houses even.again all the work effort shows no progress.

i actually have played this map a ways ahead of the blog. i do know some things. the bannies are functioning with no strike.so i do not think the map is dommed. KID's tiny brewer is hoarding mead so not much of it gets to the mine valley.i have tried different foods and processed foods.have improved health.

i have KID's education patch above the Norseman mod. the RKEC is the main start base mod with DS industry below it.i disabled the safety mod but am not seeing many deaths.i actually wonder if that mod locked in the registry. there has been no major disease outbreaks or many accidents.  the patch has helped the nomads have some training.  since the RK would override much of the DS,i used TOM's norseman to put the happiness back in.

i do hope you stop by more often.i want to experiment with this system more and look at ideas with it. this map is challenging.we have to rely on trading to produce food as there is a lack of space with these tall mountains.this map does have several tests in 1, not just the happiness.    so far the bannies are content and not freaking out.

brads3

YEAR 22 and 23

the food trade post took in 3800 woth of food.we also picked up potato seed.we ordered pine boughs.

a blacksmith and a open kiln expand the mine village processors.the hearth works to make anvils required to build the blacksmith.the open kiln can make a huge variety of materials but it uses charcoal or coke.continuing to use charcoal will use up our firewood.i would prefer to use coal for these processors.  to make a coke oven,we need iron fittings. this is a chain similar to CC.

this is where options can pay off. the RK foundry can be used for the iron or copper. if my memory is right ,the pine kiln can make charcoal from logs.this will save us a step and conserve the firewood.will this charcoal be flagged the same and used by the DS processors?   the pine kiln does require pine boughs,so either way we are waiting on a merchant for more goods or processors to make them. 

we made about 50 bricks,50 glass30 iron fittings,10 wagon parts,and pottery from the sand.

a merchant brings 5000 food in spring.in summer, another merchant delivers 750 roots.in fall they deliver 2700 more food.

we build the RK foundry to smelt the copper ore. a DS coke furnace is built along the tracks to the south.more workers are sent to the RK mine and marble quarry.

pic 1: DS open kiln and blacksmith
pic 2: coke oven
pic 3: mine valley cemetary
pic 4: RK foundry to process copper

brads3

YEAR 24 and 25

we got a delivery of materials,fire bundles and copper.we continue to take a few thousand of food each year.
a coal bell pit is dug and construction has started on a DS Thadd family industry mine.we had most of the materials made.
we do need more lumber.the tracks extend to a mountain and we collect stone for a tunnel.we have built faster than students are graduating.

a merchant brought pine boughs so we could build the pine kiln. this will make charcoal from logs to conserve our firewood.we do show only 1 line of charcoal to the inventory,so it will be used by the DS processors.

pic 1: coal bell pit
pic 2: DS industry mine
pic 3: pine charcoal kiln
pic 4: south beekeeper
pic 5: south MV market
pic 6: rairoad tunnel

tuggistar

Hello brads3. You have very good cities.
Can i ask, you somewhere on the forum left a list of mods with all the mods megamods and all the others, but with minimal double menu icons. Can you make another list with all the mods with megamod, RK Editor Choice and all the other authors on this site? I don't get a normal list, there's a lot of mods on the list.

tuggistar

I look like you were able to run the mods The Pine Set V105, which I current and could not run at all, when i start the game all the time Crash.

brads3

i don't use the MM. i have gotten better at adding the mod order when i start maps.there should be 1 on the 1st page. i did do a thread on setting up the mod order it is a general guide.it does have most of my start or must keep mods in it. it also has an explanation as to why certain mods are added and what they do. it is in the tips and tricks pages.

not everything i try works either. the last attempt with the RKEC and DS industry failed due to depression causing a maor work strike.this mod order is tweaked some and is functioning but the happiness seems glitchy. the happiness system is the newest concept added by modders and is still being tweaked and learned by both them and us players.

as you have found,mod orders can get changed as mods are upgraded also. in order for the Pine mod to work above the RKEC,you must add the Crystal Cliffs mod with it.  you also must be careful choosing start options. some of RED's starts do not work with this order and some just disable the pine mod.medium starts work ,but the genesis has issues. some starts will crash. terrains and texture changes seem to be fine.

what has worked for me with CC is dropping back to oder versions. the old CCNF saves memory and computer power since it is a smaller file size.that  gives space for more mods too. yes the older CC will use old flags. with the my precious some stuff is set to 1.06 flags anyhow. you can use the CC journey below the RKEC and then add what other ods you want to it. creating your own mega mod so to speak.

the only doube icons should be clearing tools. if you add the new flora mod, you will have some of that. i have the new flora PATCH but not the new flora mod,the items do spawn this way like the bee hives. i do have icons from the DS IND mod that would not do anything since those items didn't load at the start. icon to clear clay but no clay appears on the map.

there are lists from the modders of what has been done that is upgraded to 1.07 flags. at the top there is a page for each modder.
http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?board=49.0

tuggistar

brads3

YEAR  26 and 27

before we make the push north with the tracks,we do want to increase the limits and stockpile supplies.a barn is added to the trade posts,1 for the foresters,and some EB carts for the fishermen.

to build the DS storage we need lime. the construction yard switches to lime for a year then back to lumber.nobody will go in the DS industry mine until we make candles.

a RK stone chapel was built for the south mine valley. we did a lot of tree clearing.  a small ale stand was built to supply mead to the miners. we had our 1st disaese outbreak. influenza kept the doctor busy in early winter.

pic 1: DS material storage
pic 2: DS industry market
pic 3: RK ale stand
pic 4: south chapel

brads3

YEAR 28  and  29

9 nomads arrived in summer of year 28,5 adults with 4 chidren. they are trappers.they will work a forest and beaver dam to the east.this will take time to set up but is needed to supply more logs.   a KID tiny gatherer and forester are built and a fur trapper shed.

the railroad tracks have been extended around the mine valley.a DS candle factory is finished.it will use firewood and beeswax.

pic 1: DS candle maker
pic 2: beaver dam
pic 3: trapper forest

brads3

YEAR 30 REVIEW

population 194,24 students, in 51 houses. half educated. health at 4 hearts,happiness still at 3 stars but there has been movement to the graph. heavey trading of marble for our food. we grow corn,lettuce,potatoes,tomatoes ,and grapes.

the mine valley has built up a lot.a marble quarry and RK random mine are fuctioning. the KID tiny mine has switched over to coal with 29% left to dig out.the tiny quarry has 19% left then all 6 workers can work in the mine valley.there are several processors that make needed buiding materials required by the DS buildings.we do have excess sand that can be made into glass or pottery and traded.we need more copper for construction of the bast furnace and tools.

since the church issue,we haven't had any problems or work strikes. everything functions ,and other than sand we don't have a huge surplus of goods.our biggest problem has been firewood shortages.it was used for charcoal.now that we have the coke furnace and pine kiln, the wood cutters keep up better.they are still producing less than normal. this could be due to the DS mod and the workers being slower.

that was a busy 10 years. the mine valley grew quickly with graduates.1 group of trappers showed up in year 28 to build the 3rd forest.the food trade post was needed to move the marble.we do have a year and half worth of food stockpiled.

we need to build houses for the railroad workers. 1 graduate should help them get to 15 laborers. half way north there is a small valley.if construction is going fast enough,hopefuly we can add helpers to farm and increase our food production there. it will be a good spot for farms to feed the 1st railraod town.it is a long stretch but i would like to get the tracks layed all the way north to the railroad town in the next 10 years.

pic 1: yr30 stats
pic 2: production
pic 3: inventory
pic 4: food graph
pic 5: citizen graph
pic 6: mine valley overview

brads3

YEAR 30

while the laborers work to clear brush and trees for the tracks,the builders work to increase our firewood and build houses for the railroad workers.slowly materials are moved for the blast furnace.the tracks from the industry mine and coke furnace are completed. the blast furnace waits for more copper.

we are ready for the long north push of the railroad tracks.

pic 1:DS industry ine track hub,
pic 2: south MV wood cutter
pic 3: railroad workers moved
pic 4:clearing brush