News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Galensgranny- Unity

Started by galensgranny, February 27, 2019, 09:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

galensgranny

Necessary Buildings

By the end of the second day, we had two wooden watch towers built along the river.  The guards reported that so far, there was no sign of any other people or ships.  (Since it never gets dark here, no ships could sneak up under the cover of darkness.)  Even so, we still were worried about being found, so it was decided to not build near the shore of the river and to have the buildings blend in with the forest to help avoid detection.

We have informal groups being directed to gather food and stone, hunt, and cut down trees, but now we need formal organization and assigned jobs.  One of the first work places was a gatherer's hut, with storage.  Even though we had people out hunting the variety of animals in this land, our hunter's needed a central station from which they would coordinate efforts and store meat, fur, leather and the down from the grouse. That was worked on at the same time as the gatherer's hut.

http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/8279_02_03_19_2_17_44.jpeg

[Kid's Fairy Tale start has grouse, and the hunters quickly pluck out all the down and place it little pots, or likely they are baskets.  Some tailors will make warm coats from leather and down.  The grouse is called "game" when stored. I find it amusing to see those little feather filled pots.  :) ]

Our foresters based themselves at a large shade tree that they called The Mother Tree, around which the logs would be placed as well as any stone and iron ore they collected that was in their way; they had no need of a building.  Our herbalist didn't need a separate building either, since the herbs could be stored with the food in the gatherer's shed, but a designated spot was set up for people to get advice about healing herbs to help stay in good health.

We had some tools with us, but we would be in need of more soon- the same with clothing and firewood. Work was started on a tailor building and blacksmith/toolmaker.  Firewood is always needed, but for now, we have enough from what we brought with us, from our small chopper, and from collecting fallen branches.

http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/8279_02_03_19_2_40_34.jpeg

[The Mother Tree is a forester, from Kid's "Fairy Tale" mod, but he also has a stand-alone "Mother Tree" mod.  On the left is a Kid's Small Town blacksmith, from Kid's "Rowhouses Business V2.3" mod.  The blacksmith can make wooden and stone tools, as well as the usual iron and steel tools.  Next to the blacksmith is the tailor, from Kid's "Old Town V 1.03" mod (but it is also in V 1.02 ).  It can use fur and down to make warm coats. Kid's flat top tailor storage shed is against the tailor building and is from Kid's "Yard Cover" mod.

The gatherer building across from the tailor and the hunter building behind the Mother Tree are from Kid's "Tiny V2.01" mod.  The buildings store food with the gatherer's building also storing herbs. The hunter building also stores leather, fur and down.  Kid has a V2.02 out, which I suppose is basically the same.  The stacked baskets with red and green items in them are an herbalist from Kid's "Forest Outpost" mod.  The wooden bench in front of the herbalist is from Discrepancy.  The dirt road is from Discrepancy's "DS Roads".]

galensgranny

Big Worries

I was collecting fallen branches for use in our campfire, when in a small clearing not far from our camp, I came upon a group of bears.  Two of them reared up and looked at me.  I froze while my heart was racing.  What to do- run, scream for help, drop down and play dead?  All I had was a dried out branch.  Just then, by the greatest luck, a group of hunters came by, armed with bow and arrows.  They proceeded to shoot at the bears while I ran back to camp.

http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/8279_02_03_19_7_47_15.jpegRe: Galensgranny- Unity
[Bears are included in Kid's "Fairy Tale" mod.  The fallen branches that can be collected as firewood are in RedKetchup's "Editor's Choice" mod.  There is also a stand-alone mod Kid made based on RedKetchup's branch gathering, called New Flora Edit.  Kid posted the zip download in a post in the thread, "Abandoned - Aspenglow - Story 35 " at   http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=2725.msg55904#msg55904]

Breathlessly, I told the group what had happened.   "How many bears?" asked Jonniel.  "At least six!" I exclaimed. 

"Wow, that will provide us with food to last a while, and furs for warm clothing for the upcoming winter, which we currently lack," he replied. 

"What's wrong with you!" yelled Gust, glaring at Jonniel.  "Krystene could have been killed!"

"Oh, I didn't mean to sound uncaring.  I saw the group of hunters following behind Krystene, so I figured she would be safe," Jonniel explained. 

"I might not have been OK and I did not know the hunters were there!" I said sharply as I walked away.
It was decided were not safe out in the open, and the three tents sure wouldn't offer protection.  So, most of us went to work breaking and gathering stone to build a strong building anyone could enter for safety. The young children were sent up into the two watch towers we had built, in case more bears were around.  When working at gathering, it was agreed to go out in groups of no less than three.  It wasn't only bears that were worrisome.  We still were not sure if our enemies would be searching for us.

All efforts went to building a stone tower as quickly as possible.  Stone was good choice since there was a lot of it around, and it was fireproof- now we would be safe in the event of a forest fire, wild animal threat, or enemy human attack.  We stationed a guard at the top to oversee the area, and sound an alarm in case any danger was spotted in the forest.  Being such a secure building, we also used it to store our town records.

http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/8279_03_03_19_10_13_06.jpegRe: Galensgranny- Unity
[The tower is actually a modified kind of town hall that only lists the inventory.  It is from Kid's "Old Town" mod and is called the Overseer.  It comes in a wood option.  The Bannies like it as they all gathered around.]

There was small scare when some noise was heard, like large animals walking through the brush.  "Oh no, oh no, not again," I mumbled nervously.  People started running to the tower. But it was not more bears, just some of those large gray deer like animals.  They tended to be afraid of us, in spite of their massive size. 

http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/8279_03_03_19_10_36_09.jpegRe: Galensgranny- Unity
[These whitish deer are the elk.  They come with Kid's "Fairy Tale" start.]

galensgranny

Attack

The screams alarmed everyone.  Six-year old Anni came running, yelling in a panicked voice, "Help!  They are killing Momma!"  Every one grabbed a tool or stick and ran towards the screams.  Did our enemies find us, and want to do us in?  Or was it the bears?  We saw Lorethann lying on the ground, with two bears looming over her.  The bears ran off, unnerved by the approaching crowd of people yelling and waving their arms.  Some hunters followed behind the bears.  Lorethann , was bleeding on her arm from large gashes made by bear claws.

[Little Anni running away while two bears menace Lorethann.]

The two other people who had been working in the area with Lorethann building a fishing dock (following our rule of no one being alone in the forest) were fine.  "We heard the shrill whistle from one of the guards, signaling that bears were around," said one of them. "But, before we knew it the bears were there."

Since this type of bear doesn't eat people, as far as we knew, it was advised that we sing, whistle or make some other loud noises when out in the woods so as to not startle any bears.  The thinking was that the bear mauled Lorethann due to having been upset from her unexpected presence.

galensgranny

Bears Change Plans

While many of us were gathered around a campfire, in close proximity to the stone tower for safety, Fren, one of the gatherers asked, "This big stone safety tower is fine for our forest worker center, but what about the gatherers out in the woods?"  "And we herbalists out picking herbs," added Linwoodie. "Which one of us will be next to get attacked, like Lorethann? "  More people called out about needing secure homes, and bear proof places to store our food. 

http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/8279_08_03_19_2_40_52.jpeg

[This bench by Discrepancy has a few different positions using the F Key, unlike other benches with just one or two positions.  If you want benches circling around a campfire or something else, this is the bench to use.  There is a version with a back.  It is from Discrepancy's mod "DS Thompson Trade Merchants".  The campfire roasts venison and is Discrepancy's "Campfire". ]

"Everyone, quiet down," yelled Brydon, our newly elected leader.  He continued in a quieter voice, once the crowd was silent, "This bear situation has changed things. There are so many of them, and they travel in groups unlike the bears where we are from. We need to focus on safety and security, using more stone for building than we planned.  Homes in this forest area will need to be smaller and simpler than what we are accustomed to, so we can get a few homes built quickly."

Brydon directed the builders to construct small stone storage sheds in various places in the forest where the food could be stored securely while gathering and hunting.  Workers could go into the stone sheds for safety from the bears.

http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/8279_08_03_19_2_42_27.jpeg
[I always place a few of Kid's "Workplace" mod sheds in the outer edges of wooded areas, so workers have a nearby place to drop off food and get back to work quickly.  This stone version is from Kid's "Granny Neighborhood".]

Most of the laborers were assigned to break the large boulders into workable sizes.  Our original supply of tools was not quite enough now, and many of the tools were getting dull from breaking the rocks.  Maurie, the blacksmith said, "I don't have iron to make more pickaxes, so I am going to need a smelting furnace built. It will take some time to process the iron ore." 

"There are many iron parts and items on the ship, including the anchor," Reynald remarked.  "We don't have the means to repair the ship, so we may as well take parts we could use for building."  Workers searched the shipwreck and not only did they collect iron items, they also brought back some wood, firewood, and rum.

http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/8279_08_03_19_9_07_58.jpeg

[The worker at Kid's Shipwreck, from his "Pirates" mod, found 32 firewood, 10 iron,  3 Rum Barrels,  and 6 logs from the beginning of the game (early spring) through early summer.]

galensgranny

Living up High

Anyone who did not have an assigned job started on a food distribution center and houses. We would mostly build towards the large clearing at the edge of the forest, where there would be better line of sight.  This was a change from our original idea to try to stay hidden in the forest, but our first homes would be near the forest work sites, and made safe from bears.

"I want to be up high," I told Gust.  "Let's build a tree house, then," he replied.

"I want one too," Linwoodie said.  "Not me," Jonniel stated, "Bears can climb trees- then I'd be stuck."

"What!?  They can climb trees?" I asked anxiously. "Don't worry," said Gust, "Those large bears won't be climbing trees.  But we will find a way to keep us safe."

Since Gust was working as a forester, we built our tree house near the Mother Tree.  The ladder access was from under the house and was enclosed to prevent a bear from climbing up and into our house- in case they can climb ladders. Linwoodie also had a tree house built, and fenced in the yard.  Three other families made a tower house, also with entrances surrounded with a fence.  This should be enough to allow safe entering and leaving the houses in case bears were around.

http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/8279_11_03_19_11_43_26.jpeg
[The tree house was made by using the second story roofed house from Kid's "Workplace Village" stacked houses.  On its own, it is suspended in the air. I placed two of Necora's large deco white pine trees to "hold up" the house.  Those were the best trees I found for this purpose without branches sticking out oddly from the house.  The pretend enclosed ladder is the small shed from Kid's "Workplace" mod.  Bench is from Black Liquid's "MegaMod Deco Pack".  Of all the deco benches available by various modders, this was the only one that was the size and ability I found to position as I wanted.]

http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/8279_11_03_19_11_16_48.jpeg
[Linwoodie's tree house on the right is House 3 from Kid's "Tree House" mod, seen during the spring; in winter there are no leaves.  The fence is a ghosted fence from Black Liquid's Mega Mod Deco Pack- a ghosted fence was needed because it was placed on part of the non-buildable footprint of the tree house.

The three family tower house is from Kid's "Kid Workplace Village " mod.  It can be made one level up to four levels and there are a few color variations available. The fencing is Discrepancy's Brushwood fence that has no spaces between the wood, from "DS Fences and Decorations" mod.]

http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/8279_11_03_19_11_17_40.jpeg
[Another view of the high houses.  I used Kid's small storage from his "Workplace" mod to seem like a fancier entrance into the tower house.  The square stone-bordered flower beds on other side of the small storage are from Red Ketchup's "Garden Walls", and so is the round stone bordered garden bed surrounding the tree on the right. Small bushes in the square beds are from  Kid's "Decorative Plants" mod- it was made before the current Banished Version 107, but works fine.  The flowers in the round bed are from Kid's "Ghost Flowers" mod.]

Jinxiewinxie

I adore your story so far and am looking forward to reading more =) The realistic touches (good sightlines, can bears traverse a ladder?) add such depth!

Abandoned

@galensgranny The stacked houses you are using are from Kid Workplace Village mod v1.13.  Kid Workplace v2.03 has no buildings and original Kid Workplace v1 does not have stacked houses.  Kid Workplace Village includes Kid Workplace v2.03 - they should not be used together.

galensgranny

Thanks, 1 and Jinxie.  It was fun trying to make another tree house and add various bits and pieces to buildings to embellish them. I used to pay more attention to the "big picture" with just selecting and arranging buildings, but this time I am also focusing a lot on details.  There are so many decorative items that I had not used much, so this time I will.

@Abandoned, thanks for the correct mod name for the stacked houses.  It turns out I have both Workplace Village and Workplace loaded.  I will disable the Workplace mod and hope it won't matter to my saved game.

galensgranny

Why Did This Happen?

While we worked, there was a lot of discussion about our traumatic ordeal.  The bears were one thing, just being bears living where they lived before we came along.  But that those we thought of as neighbors turning savagely against us, chasing us off with violence, was shocking and very distressing. Sure, there had been tensions on and off over the years, but we thought that things would smooth over. We are stronger and faster, able to carry heavy loads without the aid of carts, and we don't need to sleep much so that we are able to work more hours. But, we always tried to be modest and downplay our physical superiority. Still, the difference was obvious and it created some jealousy.

[Carrying a load of stone is as easy as holding a basket of herbs.]

After the protests about how we got hired first for most jobs and how we wound up earning more in overtime, we agreed to wear weighted barrel suits to slow us down.  We also agreed to never work more hours than the others and tried to not do as much as we actually were able.  But, that didn't help with the building resentment against us.

[Wearing the barrel suit.]

The employers were upset that we no longer worked as well as we used to.  Next came the complaints that we were always at the tavern drinking and idling around.  Well, they didn't want us to work much, so why not spend our time at the tavern?  Besides, we were happy when at the tavern, and happy workers work better.  We are not a bunch of drunks; we have a high tolerance to the effects of alcohol, such that we even allow our children to drink liquor.  Not all our drinks are alcoholic, anyway.

Talk about taverns got us motivated to start construction on a tavern.  Of course, we didn't have time yet to make a proper tavern, since houses and more work sites were needed first.  But, Llewelly, who was a brewer at our former home, agreed to make a batch of berry cider that should be ready soon enough. He still had his barrel suit, since that is what he was wearing during our rush to escape.  He had already repaired it back into to a large leak proof barrel, which he would now use to brew the cider.

[Kid's "Night Cap" is a mini tavern that both brews and serves drinks, perfect for small areas.  It is included in Kid's "Bed and Breakfast" mod.  The three stacked barrels next to it are alcohol storage, from Embx61's  "EB Small Storage" mod.]

galensgranny

I am glad my story gave you a laugh, 1.  :)   

Abandoned

:D  I just couldn't resist this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SfyObUd5e8

There are a few pop up ads on here.  I can remove this if you want me to @galensgranny

Jinxiewinxie

I imagine the tailor was able to use less quality fabrics if all the pants were getting covered up with barrels anyway XD

Nilla

galensgranny

The video song is fine being here, @Abandoned.  In fact, my Bannies have been singing it!  :)

Abandoned

:) That song came to mind as soon as I saw bannie in the barrel  :D