News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Builders commuting halfway across the map

Started by irrelevant, August 03, 2014, 06:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

I've noticed that when your population gets over 1000-1500, construction projects can get bogged down because of insane builder assignments. If you have a project(s) that just are going nowhere, open the project's panel and check on the builders. Chances they are nowhere near the site, and more likely than not are getting something to eat, since they have to walk all the way across the map in order to take two whacks at their project.

Now that I think about it, this is probably not related to population as much as it is to the fact that when your town reaches a certain size, you will always have construction projects underway. If your number of builders never reaches zero, you always will be using the same builders for every project, no matter where it is located. The pool of builders needs to be reshuffled periodically.

What I've been doing that seems to work, is to pause the game, set the number of builders to zero, and to put the troublesome project(s) on pause. Unpause the game and let it run for a few seconds, long enough for the ex-builders-now-laborers to get new assignments. Then you unpause your projects and re-set the number of builders to whatever number you need. Your new builders should all be reasonably near their projects.

You have to fire all the builders to insure that you replace the ones who are giving you migraines.

slink

Good tip.  Have you found any way to force local builders to be used for road work?

rkelly17

I try to let the number of builders run down to zero at least every couple of game-years, but sometimes even that doesn't completely solve the problem. Then I turn it down to zero until all the foundations are laid and bring it up to the necessary number. Not sure how effective that actually is, but I feel better.  ;) In the last years of Antre my problem was that I would build farms and all the people living in the farm houses would stay builders. The farmers would be commuting long distances which led to minimal yields.

As to builders working on roads, they seem to go for the oldest road first wherever that is. At times when I want to pave a fair bit of road with stone I'll assign 16 or so builders and not put up any buildings. It is amazing how many show up, take one swing and go home. No idea how to get them to focus.  ::)

irrelevant

Quote from: slink on August 04, 2014, 07:04:42 AM
Good tip.  Have you found any way to force local builders to be used for road work?
Quote from: rkelly17 on August 04, 2014, 07:13:27 AM
In the last years of Antre my problem was that I would build farms and all the people living in the farm houses would stay builders. The farmers would be commuting long distances which led to minimal yields.

As to builders working on roads, they seem to go for the oldest road first wherever that is. At times when I want to pave a fair bit of road with stone I'll assign 16 or so builders and not put up any buildings. It is amazing how many show up, take one swing and go home. No idea how to get them to focus.  ::)
I think that firing all the builders and then rehiring the appropriate number as described in my OP would take care of these issues as well. For the roads though, you may need to have a nearby active construction project in order to get local builders.

The way to test this would be to plan some roads, have no other projects active, then do the fire-rehire thing, maybe just one or two builders. See if you get local builders for the roads.

slink

Quote from: irrelevant on August 04, 2014, 07:49:49 AM
The way to test this would be to plan some roads, have no other projects active, then do the fire-rehire thing, maybe just one or two builders. See if you get local builders for the roads.

You don't, in my experience.

Paeng

Quote from: rkelly17 on August 04, 2014, 07:13:27 AMI try to let the number of builders run down to zero at least every couple of game-years

Actually that has become a habit with me - I only 'hire' builders once the foundations are up, and continually 'fire' them as they finish the building(s) they were assigned to... So once a site has been completely built, I'm down to zero Builders 'automatically'.

As for 'forcing' them to do roadwork - I find that quite impossible... I usually wait for a period when no other constructions are scheduled... then I assign a handful of builders and let them roam... once I return from whatever other things I had been attending to, I find that they worked off a good number of road patches... I think it takes so long because we often 'zone' just small, often dis-joined areas of roads or plazas, and they need to run around to pick up stones all the time, too... and the stone piles are not always right next to the stretch of road where you need them.

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

slink

Construction of stone roads is insanely fragmented because of the requirement for stone, but the construction of dirt roads is what I had in mind.  The game apparently does not recognize any builder requirement for road work, yet it has builder requirements for farms and orchards in which builders have no involvement.  It is not the rate at which the dirt roads are built which dismays me.  It is the assignment of builders created at random which needs fixing.

RavenSteele

I've always kept my builders at 0 until construction projects are needed, with the exception of roads.  If I have roads to be built, I always have at least one more builder than is required.  Doing this seems to have one (or more if needed) of my builders to always focus on building roads and they do it pretty efficiently.  Also like stated in the OP, this shuffles the builders (based on updated path assignments), though I've noticed I have to wait at least one season for the shuffle to finalize.  Until then the paths seem to update every few seconds as my laborers change jobs and move to different houses.  But after a season they usually stop and everything works great!