News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

BRAD'S SETTLING OF AMERICA SERIES 3: Chunkerview

Started by brads3, April 14, 2019, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

YEAR 18

an RK blacksmith was completed near the west wharehouses.it will make stone tools for now.the RH fort blacksmith makes rough tools when he has iron ore.it can smelt iron if we need it. together they will keep tools supplied.as we run low on 1 material the other will continue to  make tools.
          a colonial school was built to help educate the farm workers.

the nomad family that arrives will work to start a pine forest.thou it will give us more items to the inventory,it does need tested with this mod order.the pine mod does have a variety of items you can make for trading.the maple forest has started producing some maple sap,so i don't see any mod issues.

2 small animals pens from Necora's Crystal Cliffs mod were built.these needed domestic animals as a building material. they do need to be fed corn.ou can trade for the animals or use the CC stable barn to produce them. the small animal pens are handy for fort areas. they work well with the tight space.we have a variety of options from a couple modders.KID made the cow and chicken shed and sheep shed.JINX made the rabbit hutch. Necora made the goat or sheep pen and rabbit or chicken pen.i'll get these producing and then we can compare the outputs.

pic 1; RK BS
pic 2;colonial school
pic 3; pine forest
pic 4;necora's small animal pens

Jinxiewinxie

I'm interested to see how the Rabbit Hutch's output compares to Necora's pens =)

brads3

the rabbit hutch is much higher than the other small pens. Necora's pens are actually real low considering they need to be fed grain. rabbits do breed fast ,so i dont think your outputs are overly high.

i was going to mention on your page about the file size. i wish it was much smaller.it takes a lot of memory for whats in it. since i am not a modder, i don't know why or where the memory is being used. i realize you are learning so hopefully you find a way to bring the file size down. it is really huge compared to other mods.

Jinxiewinxie

Its from the HUGE amount of decorative rabbits. Each one is sort of resource intensive and there's tons of options (adult rabbits sitting/standing and then each one of those has long ear version or normal, then each of those has one of 6 different patterns..) so that comes to a crazy number of rabbit models included.

Do you think it'd be beneficial to only have like.. one rabbit.. with 6 variants of the fur pattern? I could release a new version that doesn't have all the crazy rabbits included and it'd be much smaller.

brads3

would that get the file size down to 5,000-15,000? the modders have ways of bringing graphics costs down a lot.

Jinxiewinxie

By removing all the deco (including the fenceless version of the hutch and the fences, hay piles, etc.) it brings the filesize of the .pkm from 142,000 KB to 26,000 KB =)

Want me to package it up without all the extras for you?

brads3

i don't want to give up the extra hutch thou.  :)

Jinxiewinxie

Hmm well the extra hutch is meant to go with all the extra deco (like fences to put around it, more rabbits to make it bigger, etc.) =/ I think maybe the filesize can be annoying for loading up but I don't think it should impact your gameplay itself very much.

brads3

YEAR 19

during the winter,we sold leather coats for coins.the coins trade in a lot faster than they trade out for the potatoes.it will boost the food but does take some micro-managing.one oat field in the fort was switched to corn.we have barley to keep the bannies supplied with grain.

i should take time to explain the trading with this mod order setup.  with so many mods,there are a lot of merchant boats. most carry items that are processed.thou it should be random,it appears to be more quirky and troublesome than that.

many of these mods add items to the inventory,generally those are processed items.a small % of these are food or tools.other than the pine mod and RK,few will add new food or tools.add to this that there are more flags now than the 1.06.there is less chance of a merchant bringing food or any specific good that you need.same with seeds,there is lots of tropical seeds.as i added the trade livestock,less normal livestock is brought.

the trade posts add to the dilema. not all will accept all items to trade out.not all boats take all items either.the trade "patch" mods do not fix everything.other than RED's that stops crashes from 1.06 merchants,i have not seen any that help much.more boats do arrive as the population grows or more items are stocked in the TP's.not all boats will take orders for all items. some boats will have 3 order sheets to the order menu. it wil have an alphabetical list and part way down the alphabet will start over.

players have to remember that more mods will add to the chaos.we have options for different trade posts. farm trader,livestock,seed,buiding material,etc. there is a realistic quality to it. if you went down to the corner and stopped the next truck,what are the odds it was hauling exactly what you want? even if you picked a beer truck, the odds are it would have the wrong brand. if you stopped a grocery truck,it would not have steaks but have cereal instead. same thing with the bannies. a boat woud be carrying what it picked up from the towns before yours.

the trade horses getting stuck did mess up the plan for this map.the livestock TP would have helped bring animals faster.the RR food trades will help increase food. the wool is slow enough to keep the  input of coins from being overpowering.we can ship coats if we need to boost the food.

a CC merchant arrived at the CC dock TP. he has a order list of CC items,then KID,EB,pine mod. RK goods are mixed thru those 4 lists.all are either tools,textiles, or processed goods.no food.a 2nd boat did bring some iron just before spring.we took 30 for 60 copper ores.

the bannies finished another pasture.they started a market plaza in the colonial village but will need to smelt iron to complete it.while they gathered food,they collected more iron ore and stone.

trade horses trade at 250 ,same as the domestic animals.we have 600 corn to start feeding the animal pens.1 is chickens and the other is sheep.

pic 1; yr 19 merchant,
pic 2: 2nd pasture along river

brads3

YEAR 20 REVEIW

that 10yrs seemed to be more work than the 1st decade.wd did overcome a coupe issues.the trade horses are working even thou they won't move to the pasture.that mod will be moved up in the mod order and retested.

we did expand out of the fort.a double wharehouse area,pastures,colonial farms,and 2 forests have been started. trading has improved with the railroad textile for food trades.several small animal sheds were added to the fort.to keep them fed,we grow 3 grains.we have 3 functioning schools and 2 churches completed. 

population has grown to 116,46 children.there are 31 houses.education level holds above 40%.the 28 nomads helped to almost triple the population.the last few years,we had some luck with the weather.earlier springs and warmer summers. even so there is less food stored than we would like.the bannies continue to gather each fall and winter.they also collect more stone and iron ore.

if we can maintain the food for another 5-10 yrs,graduates will begin to expand the small villages and add more farms.before then we should get a rock quarry and mine dug.we are stable and the plan is working.

pic 1; yr 20 stats
pic 2; production
pic 3; inventory
pic 4: food graph

brads3

YEAR 20

the churches wll be challenging.some are quite flexible and fit with a variety of towns.several come with their own mod sets.a mine  production area wil be zoned 50 tiles west of the wharehouse district.that will keep it centered for several more towns.

the 3 adult nomads  have 2 children with them.1 couple will move north to help with floating the logs in for the sawmill.the other plans a RK apiary to help increase food.the bannies need to collect more thatch to build it.

we traded for longhorn cattle.they will go in the 2nd pasture west of the river.we traded for 1000 lettuce and 100 maple syrup at the CC dock.a market plaza was finished for the colonial village.

pic 1: colonial market plaza
pic 2: yr 20 trade
pic 3: longhorn pasture

Jinxiewinxie

Quote from: brads3 on April 29, 2019, 01:08:50 PM
i don't want to give up the extra hutch thou.  :)

You've inspired me to track down different ways to make my Rabbit Hutch mod smaller and I've been able to decrease it from 142k KB to just 41KB so far. I can make it even smaller by removing some of the excess deco rabbits. I'm trying to work out which ones are worth keeping and once I'm done, I'll have a new version available for ya =)

brads3

brads3

YEAR 21

the 6 nomads decide to stay. 1 couple will move to the forests and trap game.the others will help our laborers clear land for more pastures. they will also clear land for market plaza and mines.more workers should help get things done faster and give time to collect more food and materials.

we have an issue.we are having trouble finding thatch to finish the apiary.i left space outside the fort walls for regrowth.that area has flowers.there seems to be no regrowth of the thatch.i checked other areas and the thatch seems to have died off.the issue isn't my mo order and RED is aware and was workiing on a solution.since thatch is used for some construstion and firewood,i will need to build a thatch hut at some point.

the apiary can't be built.since we need the food,a KID's fruit house greenhouse will replace the apiary.that will get more food to the west side of the river.we have worked to improve the food production,but it is still a concern.with the nordic climate,weather does have more affect.i like the temperatures of the nordic except the summer. i wish the summers were warmer and all the other seasons stayed the same.it sounds minor but above 70 makes a big difference to the crops.

corn feeds Necora's pens.wool is sold for coins,120 at a time.the coins are then traded for potatoes.oats are fed to the CC stable producing domestic animals.they trade at 250 each for livestock.the bannies will eat some of the corn and oats.plus we  have eggs,milk,and rabbit.this system is working well.where Necora's pens cost  food,the trades make up for it.   there is a dairy barn with Necora's set that i did not build.

pic 1 yr 21 trade
pic 2:pine mod trapperthis will bring in more game,furs,and pelts
pic 3:KID fruit house,
pic 4:pen outputs. the 2 small animal pens are fed corn,the stable is fed oats

brads3

YEAR 22

as they extend the road west,more houses and KID greenhouses are built.an industrial market plaza is cleared and more barns added. more lumber is cut and iron is smelted.

it is a cool rainy summer. crops are down near 75%.we traded for 1000 veggy soup and 1000 beans.even with all the gathering and trades, production fell by 1500 food.

pic 1: clearing for the industrial plazaa 7x7 greenhouse was completed.
pic 2:yr 22 trade