News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

New products suggestion

Started by Banana, November 28, 2018, 07:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banana

I have some interesting product suggestion for the vanilla.

You can make chicken produce chicken, egg, and feather. And feather could be used to make feather clothing. And advanced clothing could be made from leather, wool, and feather.

Switching between sand and clay is too annoying, you can just have a new trade called "brick and glass maker" that work near the lake and they would turn: coal + advanced clothings + steel tools into -> "modern building supplies", which is a single item in the inventory and we will imagine that it compose of : brick, glass, steel tools and advanced clothing.

You can add high tech homes that are made of : modern building supplies + lumber + stone, basically it is a home that is made of lumber, stone, brick, glass, steel, and wool, leather and feather are used to insulation the home.

I think having the mine make iron and coal is too annoying. So u can have the mine make a single item called: "ore and coal", and "ore and coal" + log would make steel tool, or u can name it "steel tool or steel products".

When iron and coal becomes a single item, u can use the slot that opens up on lumber to control lumber quantity

Switching between fruits at Brewery is too annoying. Instead of having different kinds of fruit, every orchard would make the same item called general fruit. And brewery would turn general fruit into ale.

theonlywanderer

There are already many mods for advanced clothing, tools, building supplies and all of that.

I would suggest the latest Colonial Charter: Journey.   It has all kinds of new production lines and buildings.  It's a full makeover.

If that's not enough, try Mega Mod 8.01, which includes Journey and has so much more stuff it's just crazy!

Banana

The existing mods for advanced items are too complicated and require too much micro-control. I'm trying to simply things a bit.

Paeng

Quote from: Banana on November 28, 2018, 10:56:28 PMThe existing mods for advanced items are too complicated and require too much micro-control.

Well, in parts I'm with you on this one - I also find many things kinda bloated, specially in the food sector. You must see though that many of these things just happened while new mods were developed, and because people craved for variety  :)

My idea was always to introduce new food, fruit, grain etc. only with an accompanying new model and distribution chain, I never saw much sense in having 100 different fruit and 100 different veggies without the corresponding outlets.

But they have been introduced into the game and now go through all mods, so it would be very hard to separate the superfluous items again...

Quote from: Banana on November 28, 2018, 07:18:38 PMI think having the mine make iron and coal is too annoying.

Well, it annoys me also when I need to switch from ore to coal and back all the time... but at least there are by now a lot of different models for the mines, in varying sizes, too, so you can build two different mines and be rid of that "problem".

There are many different types of players, with many different likes and dislikes, and the modders try hard to build bridges to all of them... so I feel you need to accept some bloat  :)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

brads3

there is a multi mine that puts out a variety of items.it is the old vanila mine but gives iron,stone,and coal without changing it.REDs random mine quarry does gove random amounts of ores,stone,coal, plus salt.

the idea of a tavern being set to fruit and make ales has good and bad points. it is not possable due to the way the game was coded,a developer flaw.however if it did use all fruit without us controlling it,it would run us out of food.the bannies can drink alcohol fast so the limit woudn't stop them.now they can only use 1 type of fruit up.the other way they could empty the barns.  it does make some of the workplace meus quite long though.CC does have a lot of them that way.

have you tried the RK CHOICE? it is much simpler and not overwhelming.

theonlywanderer

I'm not a fan of simplifying anything, I actually prefer more variety.   The more different buildings the better, it makes filling up a town much better.    I like production chains where you need this to make that and that to make this and on and on.   If you want simple, don't use mods and stick with vanilla.

I am a huge fan of upgrades!   I like to see building start out making basic level things and maybe 1 employee and having to upgrade it later so 2 can work there and make next level items.   Upgrade again to make even better items.  Ie...  the shop can only make rough tools and 1 employee.  Upgrade can make steel and iron tools also.  Upgrade again can now have 2 employees and can make bronze and carbon tools.

I also love upgrades for homes.  Like the wooden home in CCJ can be upgraded to stone, to country house, to improved country house...       RK's NMT can be upgraded as well.    Better houses and upgrades should always need next level (refined) items like lumber, glass, bricks, etc... to build.

Since we have the debug option, it's easy to kick back relax and just build whatever you want.  We all need to get that out of our system every now and then, right?    So when we get that urge to play another legit round, the game needs to reflect the challenge we are looking for.    I've done really hard starts and I'm actually tired of the grind waiting for enough people to actually do anything so I tend to start easy mode these days.   What I enjoy is being forced to setup production lines in order to build the stuff I want.   Instead of being a grind, it's more about building your town out on a new map so that it's efficient.  Every map is a new puzzle and where are you going to put the sawmill this time, where should the town market be, the butchers and bakers, the clothier and blacksmith.   This is why I like the valley maps that have hills and mountains.  Forces you to think outside the standard flat area model where anything go anywhere.  You have to build around mountains, use tunnels and bridges.    It makes you have to work things out to be efficient, you can't just throw everything in a square and call it good.

Bottom line,  I would like to see the modders continue to up the challenge and requirements to build their stuff.   If we want it easy, use debug.   Like I said... not afraid to admit I use it when I want to goof off.    Then I go back and play another legit round when I feel like it.   There are no rules here, it's all about entertainment, right?

Gatherer

I agree in part that it is nice to have different options to upgrade. There is also a part I don't like though. New items mean more and more items added to merchants. Without special orders that cost more it is getting longer and longer to get needed materials if one does not want to produce them. And it also creates problems for storage. Some of the new flags are already clogged with many different items.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

theonlywanderer

Special ordering is far more like reality, though.   Traders just happening along with everything you need is highly unlikely in a real situation.    The way around not getting what you want is to build more ports.  If you built your town around trading for industry items, build more industry ports.   Same for textiles or food ports.   The more you build the more often they come and the greater chance to get what you want.   And if you want specific items continuously, you just focus one port on telling every trader to only bring those items.   You will then have some ports bringing random and other ports bringing exactly what you want.

I do this exact thing with an industry port bringing logs.   I use charcoal instead of firewood to fuel all my towns and use charcoal to trade for more logs as well.   I use one industry port to set every trader for that port to only bring logs and soon that is what only gets delivered to that specific port.  I auto trade charcoal for 500 logs every time and this keeps me in enough supply to fuel massive towns and all the trading I want.   Just build more stacks burners as needed to keep the charcoal supply up.

Now, my town goals may differ from others, that's the beauty of the game, right?    I like to eventually make self sustaining towns other then the log issue because it always seems that I can't produce enough logs to keep up even with 5 forest areas.   I typically build every port available in Megamod because I like the looks.  Also, if something dire were to happen due to my overbuilding (which I often do), I have ways to get extra food and materials quickly by trading.

Another good feature of ports is being able to put 9999 for any particular item you don't use.   Just let your bannies keep putting that resource in the port and keep it out of circulation.  You have a resource that can be traded for stuff you do want.  Fertilizer has been fixed since MM8 if I understand correctly, but currently there can be a massive quantity of it build up so I just set my ports at 9999 to collect every bit of it and trade it off.  It's a resource I don't use so it's a perfect trade item that builds up constantly.   Allows me to back off on the charcoal production a bit since less is being traded.

Gatherer

I used to build self-sustaining villages in the past but now I try to buy about 15-20% of yearly food demand.

Quote from: theonlywanderer on December 01, 2018, 11:57:02 AM
Fertilizer has been fixed since MM8 if I understand correctly, but currently there can be a massive quantity of it build up so I just set my ports at 9999 to collect every bit of it and trade it off.  It's a resource I don't use so it's a perfect trade item that builds up constantly.   Allows me to back off on the charcoal production a bit since less is being traded.

In my current town I do the same with flowers and excess fodder-thatch.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Banana

This is OP. I just wanna say that the goal of the game is to efficiently allocate the natural resource on your map. Such as creating a balance between the amount of farming space and tree planting space, or creating a balance between the number of cattle field and sheep field and chicken field, or between the amount of crop field and orchard field.

The goal of the game is not to create fancy items such as silver spoons, beef jerky, smoked bacon, picked veggie, fish and chips, fruit jam, cheese bread, sweet cookie, fruit cake etc.
1) Because the game doesn't have the ability for u to control the limit of so many items.
2) If u start making complex items, it's too much micromanagement. Because u have one brain, and u cannot control hundreds of bannies. If ur making ale from apple, and if apple runs out u wouldn't know it and wouldn't change to another fruit.

theonlywanderer

The goal of the game is whatever the player chooses it to be.  Create whatever challenge they want.    Most people around here have played it enough, that they can achieve whatever they want.    If you are talking strictly vanilla, well I don't even care what the original goal was, it's boring.  There was a big list of in game achievements, never paid attention to them.  Vanilla is a snooze fest!!  I tried to go back and play vanilla and it drove me nuts because there is nothing there to really do other then repeat the same stuff over and over until you fill the map up.   It's interesting in it's simplicity, but just too boring to keep playing.   Bring in mods and now you have all kinds of things to build up areas of the map focused on different things instead of all the same, you have lots of variety.   I don't know who was the first to do multi level housing, but it really changed up the game big time, you could have more houses in a smaller space.  It made smaller maps possible, which creates a greater challenge.   People have added docks, dock professions, dock markets, and dock housing to spread out over the water, something completely missed by the original game designer.  This was another feature that completely revamped the ideas of what can be done for new challenges on smaller maps.

I can grow a massive population rather quickly, right up until the game starts turning to crap and slowing down to the point where I can't stand it anymore and move on to another map.   I use the no smoke mod, which helps a lot, but things eventually still slow down to where it's just beyond annoying, typically around 1,000.   I have a good PC also, which makes no sense why this little dinky game keeps crapping out.    I don't know how anyone has achieved 5,000/6,000 population with the kind of lag this game has, they must have insane patience.

I then started playing more using debug just to build out a map for the fun of it.   I mix it up with legit games here and there to keep things changing.

Abandoned

@Banana you are correct, the game was created not only as a survival game but also a strategy game.  It was and still is a beautiful game and enjoyable in its basic simplicity.  It is nice to hear good things about the game and that you are enjoying it.  :)

kid1293

Hi @Banana . I just chime in to say you have a point. The game has gone way over it's original intentions.
For fun, for a one-time map, it can be nice to have variation but to have this excess all the time is not fun.

I have made some not so good judgement and added to this spamming in my mods but I have always
been thinking about the simplicity of the game. Some find it shallow and want hundreds of mods to cover
for the shortcomings of the game. It is a challenge to 'invent' something new for the game.

I don't think the game was meant as a mega-city builder.

theonlywanderer

I believe the original intent of the game is long gone and no longer matters.   Why should it?  Again, the game is whatever you make of it, like most other open world style games, which banished fits in the genre.   It's an open world for you to decide the challenge.  Do you make a self sufficient town, trading town, do you farm, raise animals, build higher end stuff to trade for necessities?  It's up to each player to determine their challenge.

Let's also remember that mods are optional, they are not forced onto anyone.   I would assume this to be rather obvious, am I right?

And once somebody adds any mods at all, they really shouldn't talk about the choices in mods other people use, it's a bit hypocritical if you ask me.   I prefer mods and more mods and even more mods with more upgrades, more and better production lines...  keep it going.   If you don't like that stuff, don't install them, but it's clear the modders enjoy the challenge of making stuff the players will enjoy, otherwise it's kind of pointless to mod, right?      There are plenty of mods I don't use, and that doesn't make them good or bad, just not my style.     To each their own would be the motto of Banished and the mods that get developed. 

Again... don't like them, don't use them, they are not forced on to anyone.   This whole "Purity of the game" attitude is just silly.

If anyone took offense at me calling the vanilla game boring, I don't see why.  It's not your game, you didn't develop it and my opinion has nothing to do with you.    I enjoy the game just fine now that the mods exist and despite the initial flaws still in the root of the game.

theonlywanderer

To get back to your original post, Banana....

I know there are solo mods that do similar to what you ask.  I am not an expert on where all the solo mods are since I prefer to use MegaMod 8.01 that includes a mix mash of many mods.

I would still suggest you use a master mod for the time being and simply use what you want and ignore the rest.

Colonial Charter Journey on it's on is amazing.  It has the features you are asking for.  Use those and ignore the rest.

Red Ketchup has his own "editors choice" and it's really cool.  I recently completed a map using just EC and worked out great, it's a nice addition that you may find isn't overly intrusive.

Many of the modders have various mods that do what you ask, I just can't help with their location.