Main Menu

Kid - Forest Outpost V2 fixed

Started by kid1293, February 19, 2017, 05:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid1293

A lot of coffee later.  ;D

Next will be chapel - someday  ;)

kid1293

@tanypredator had a nice church that can be used.
http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1500.msg31953#msg31953

She said this would be too big and I agree. 10000 triangles  >:(
I will try a modified smaller one.
edit - Small and large Russian wooden churches

Can we agree on no crosses?
Many people have a more secular view of the world (me included),
so a building that functions like a church but give no hint on religion.
Just ceremonial, meditative...

tanypredator

Quote from: kid1293 on May 01, 2017, 02:22:02 AM
Can we agree on no crosses?
Many people have a more secular view of the world (me included),
so a building that functions like a church but give no hint on religion.
Just ceremonial, meditative...

Is it a question to me? :) Kid1293, you do your nice buildings as you like. And, being secular too, I didn't mean necessarily orthodox church, I just thought, that such architecture style is suitable for Banished in general and your forest sets in particular.

embx61

10.000 Triangles so once in a while for one or two buildings are not that bad.

I mean poly count is important but these days the video carts, even in laptops are up to par with 10.000 poly's.

How otherwise I see lots of models with 100.000 or even more poly's loaded in game engines with no real degrade in frame rates?

We have to be careful with bushes, crops, trees, because the game plants a lot of them. but sometimes a building with 7 to 12000 poly's will be fine in banished as people will not plant 500 churches on the map I would say.
Textures are IMHO more important regarding their size then poly count (I think I even read that somewhere a while back) and I try to put all my textures for 1 building in to 1 texture (Not always possible) so the game have to make 1 call instead of 6 or 8 or even 10.

I start mostly with a 2048 x 2048 texture map. Add all my separate textures to that map while I am designing the building (I am used to that workflow and never have to make a UVW map because of this) and adjust the textures while modeling at the same time. I like to see the textures on the model while designing it instead of doing it all after the mesh is finished. After the mesh is finished and I am happy with it I save the texture to 1024x1024 or even for a small building to 512x512 and that's it. For small stuff like rawmaterial texture I end up with a 256x256 texture.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

kid1293

I was thinking of an earlier post somewhere about churches and crosses.
And I had a nice discussion with the pagan Lady QueryEverything. :)

And yes, I agree that Banished does not put too much strain on modern computers.
I have a constant 144 fps (with Vertical Sync - else I have several hundreds)
for me there is no problem with complicated meshes and lag.

The game engine seems to compress images automatically (or when compiling).
Some textures are actually better with lower resolution.

QueryEverything

Quote from: kid1293 on May 01, 2017, 03:05:38 AM
I was thinking of an earlier post somewhere about churches and crosses.
And I had a nice discussion with the pagan Lady QueryEverything. :)

And yes, I agree that Banished does not put too much strain on modern computers.
I have a constant 144 fps (with Vertical Sync - else I have several hundreds)
for me there is no problem with complicated meshes and lag.

The game engine seems to compress images automatically (or when compiling).
Some textures are actually better with lower resolution.

Thank you @kid1293 I will accept that title happily, Lady QueryEverything :D  I like it! 

I also love the log buildings, they are coming along nicely, and definitely a little wooden chapel to match with them.
If people deliberately require crosses, perhaps a little deco tool that can be added for them - but, keep the building secular, I am happy with, there are very few church based buildings in Banished without pageantry :( 

Your coffee suits you, haha, I think coffee gives modders super powers :D :D :D
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

embx61

I found that I keep regular buildings in a 800 to 1600 poly count.

Because of the build stages planes do not always work. So I design my walls for the mesh as a box.
But if the mesh is finished I copy the mesh, rename it build1 and then move back to the mesh and delete all the insides and sides of the walls boxes so they become all a plane.

Easier then using either the Shell Modifier or double all the walls on build2.

It is the round, cylinder, oval stuff what can take up some extra poly's.
My Salt works was about 1100 poly's when finished then I added the cart, some barrels and stuff and it went up to about 3000 but I not worry about it as I know the game will handle it well, even on a laptop.

Abandoned

Regarding church, for what it's worth, I vote church with cross. The cross has long been a universal symbol of good versus evil.  In today's world we need more reminders of that, not less.

QueryEverything

Quote from: embx61 on May 01, 2017, 04:57:55 AM
I found that I keep regular buildings in a 800 to 1600 poly count.

Because of the build stages planes do not always work. So I design my walls for the mesh as a box.
But if the mesh is finished I copy the mesh, rename it build1 and then move back to the mesh and delete all the insides and sides of the walls boxes so they become all a plane.

Easier then using either the Shell Modifier or double all the walls on build2.

It is the round, cylinder, oval stuff what can take up some extra poly's.
My Salt works was about 1100 poly's when finished then I added the cart, some barrels and stuff and it went up to about 3000 but I not worry about it as I know the game will handle it well, even on a laptop.

From the little I understand about mesh development, the more curves, the higher the build count (polys etc), as you need to keep the smooth curve, which means lots of little angles to get it to that point, I'm guessing you would know that though :)

And a one off, or at the least, a static building will definitely have less impact on a game, than a dynamic one.
Try explaining that to a young 10yr old who couldn't understand why minecraft wouldn't load fast enough :)  But, once the server had been explored, and the blocks 'settled' then the lag disappeared.
It's still a habit though regardless that I always "pause" as I move around the Banished map, even a small one with very little on it, and all the ground cleared of all produce. :D

*pokes husband
See, I do pay attention to your job, occasionally ...  hahaha ;)
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

embx61

My big church have crosses too.
If someone is offended by that I just say: "You don't have to download and play with my mod" and that is the end of it.

O, and I am more atheist then most atheist's. LOL
I am not religious at all, born in the Netherlands and almost every church there have a cross or crosses.
For me it is just part of the church, no more, no less.

But what I cannot stand is that so called political correctness what more and more creeps into our lives and I should therefore feel obligated to design churches without a cross(es).

Not going to happen.

Don't get me wrong. If some want to design churches without a cross. Fine with me, I even play the mod but I design them with a cross.

embx61

Yes @QueryEverything

A cylinder have as I make one in Max 16 sides 5 Height Segments and 1 Cap Segment standard.

That is 198 poly's.

But in most occasions you don't need the 5 high  and get away with 1
That makes 64 poly's

Then the 16 sides can  be make less too as Banished is sort of far away view and no real close ups.

I Mostly end up with about 8 sides and that makes 32 poly's.
Then you have a round looking post.

Now a rectangle post
4 sides, 1 top and 1 bottom is 12 poly's so 20 less.
Now if you do some calculation or are just smart you noticed that 4 sides, 1 top and 1 bottom for the rectangle is 6 poly's.
But game engines need triangles in the meshes and so 3d modeling software convert any rectangle face into 2 triangles and that gives 12 poly's.

Now 1 post is all okay but imagine you make a fence and players add 100's of them in the game it will add up between the round and rectangle one.
Still not bad though. But a barrel need some height segments because of it's form so you can easily end up with about 60 to 100 poly's for 1 barrel.
If it is a empty barrel you need to do the inside too like a tube what can double it.

If my meshes are done I mostly go over them and delete for example all the bottom faces from Foundations, posts which are on ground level, or below because nobody sees them anyway.
A post in the middle of a wall I can delete the bottom face and the face what faces the house as well as it goes through the wall plane and nobody can look inside the house if it is a closed house and that way, what is called optimizing, polygons can be saved.

Welding vertices is also a good way in reducing poly's and vertices.

Abandoned

regarding churches, well said @embx61 .  I myself am not a church goer anymore, too much hypocrisy inside for my liking, but love to see from outside, especially steeple and cross in the distance. They need church bells.  I have a cast iron plaque in my garden with a poem.  It says: the kiss of the sun for pardon, the song of a bird for mirth, one is closer to gods heart in a garden, than anywhere else on earth.  I have tried to find name of poem author unsuccessfully.   Regarding political correctness, if they want countries, schools, and churches, etc run without God's help, .. a fine job they are doing!   I often wonder what they are celebrating and spending so much money on at Christmas and Easter, Saint Valentine's and Saint Patrick's Day. ?

thank you for making churches and chapels with crosses  :)

kid1293

Hmm...   (No,not heroes of might and magic)

I planning a Russian church.
Am I putting an orthodox cross on it?

My view is that churches are universal and not depending on religion.
Many religious practice have the belief that churches are for all.

Some might argue that since we live here it should be a simple cross.
Here? I don't know if there are any japanese shinto followers among us.

So out of respect for people all over the world and not to defile a russian church
I wanted a church without cross or other attributes. ( Does that 'onion' on top of the roof count? )

@tanypredator said it was for the architecture. That it would fit the forest theme.
I agree. I'm will do my best to make something out of that picture.

And no, I am not cross with anyone. We all have different thoughts on almost everything and
if I have to explain myself I will try.

TheOtherMicheal

Quote from: Abandoned on May 01, 2017, 05:02:52 AM
Regarding church, for what it's worth, I vote church with cross. The cross has long been a universal symbol of good versus evil.  In today's world we need more reminders of that, not less.
From an entirely Christian point of view this would be correct, however, I'm willing to wager that people who follow Judaism and Islam see their own holy signs as a universal sign of good versus evil rather than the Christian cross. I'm not trying to start any sort of argument or derail the thread, I'm merely trying to point out that the notion of the cross being "universally" seen as a symbol of good is only accurate from one point of view, i.e. the Christian point of view.