Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Poll : New Crops package

Started by RedKetchup, August 28, 2014, 02:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

graphite

Hey Bobbie,

normally its a lot of this ;)

Will make new thread explaining Blackwood Soon.

cheers

rkelly17

Don't get me wrong, I love artichokes and eat them as often as I can. Our daughter has been working to get them to grow in our less-then-artichoke-friendly Southern Ontario climate for several years and finally succeeded this year. One so far! But artichokes in Banished?!?  ??? Seriously? Personally I'd rather see crops that fit into the game world. Of course, that's just me--people can create whatever mods they want. Now if someone came up with a Mediterranean climate mod, then we're talking not only artichokes but citrus and all sorts of good things.

slink

I'd like flax, for making linen and perhaps linsey-woolsey.

rkelly17

I just got another idea: peanuts. They do grow some on the North side of Lake Erie, so you could fit them into a mild climate game--maybe set them so they are more susceptible to frost. They'd fit in as protein.

Far out idea: tobacco as a "cash crop." I'm not sure how this could be done. Could a "flag" be set so that citizens don't use it but merchants accept it in trade for a fairly high price? Alternatively, you could have it available for use and be quite valuable in trade, but the citizens' health takes a one-heart hit if you grow it. Again, several counties in Southern Ontario along the North side of Lake Erie were big tobacco growing regions, so it fits the climate on mild. With a tropical climate mod you could use sugar in the same way.

A Nonny Moose

Tobacco is not a good choice for subsistence farmers since it can generally only be trade goods.  It is not a food crop but a pure luxury and as such would be eschewed by people scraping a living off the land.

On the other hand, peanuts, especially as a nitrogen fixing crop, are not only edible but relatively easy to grow.

You know, it would be easy to have an agronomy offshoot of this game.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

graphite

I considered tobacco, but have decided that hemp would be a better alternative.

Hemp: +pos to happiness:
New textile chain: textile mill: tailor:
New industry: rope maker; ship builder:trade

Nilla

QuoteI'd like flax, for making linen .

Me too, beautiful blue color and and a new value to the game, also other colorful crops and vegetables.

And maybe ray, to add a bit of a new aspect to the game (normally you saw it in autumn, at least here in Scandinavia)

kee

Could we have wintering seeds and multi-year crops? Wintering seeds: cultivars of rye and wheat (and rapeseed) that are bred to be sown in autumn and reaped the following summer. Would make for farmers working the fields until early winter, but will give more per haa than spring crops.

Aspargus are typically harvested for some 8+ years, and harvested early in spring- you'd see the farmers harvest while the field consists of small shoots, then work it as the plants grow bigger during summer. Not a highyielding crop, but oh, so tasty.

And as stated elsewhere I'd like a winter feed mechanic in game, for this we need leys

Leys were typically harvested as hay severeal times during the growing season, often dried on racks that would make for some good graphics ingame if handled well
Kim Erik

graphite

hey kee,

there are lots of crops already in the pipeline, and any that are suggested and are not in the current pipeline are entered into a database for further referencing and consideration. Thanks for your feedback and suggestions, there always appreciated ;)

and have a look here: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=385.0 [members only link]

rkelly17

Would it be possible to have two categories of new crops with packages set up to fit one category or the other? I'm thinking category 1, crops that fit the current climate model, and category 2, tropical/Mediterranean climate crops. Personally I'd like to use climate-appropriate crops, so wouldn't have much use for a pack that mixed types.

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on August 31, 2014, 07:53:44 AM
Tobacco is not a good choice for subsistence farmers since it can generally only be trade goods.  It is not a food crop but a pure luxury and as such would be eschewed by people scraping a living off the land.

Good point. Some of us already grow a specific fruit only for ale production and sell all the ale, so the fruit is in effect a cash crop. But, speaking for myself, I only do this after a certain point in the game when just having enough to eat is no longer a big problem. Expert modders, is it possible to have a crop that only becomes available after a certain population is reached? That would balance the subsistence/cash crop farming so that pure cash crops only come into play after the settlement has advanced beyond mere survival. One would still have to keep an eye on food production to make sure enough is being grown or purchased.

RedKetchup

i ......... dunno ^^ it needs further research. i know it exists some kind of data like that, the trading post use it with the merchants to define how much goods they will held. so ... maybe.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

If nothing else, you could just make the seeds prohibitively expensive.

graphite

Quote from: rkelly17 on September 02, 2014, 07:23:13 AM
Would it be possible to have two categories of new crops with packages set up to fit one category or the other? I'm thinking category 1, crops that fit the current climate model, and category 2, tropical/Mediterranean climate crops. Personally I'd like to use climate-appropriate crops, so wouldn't have much use for a pack that mixed types.

Yes ;) this could be done.

In Blackwood Mods, I'll go through the process of how vegetation will be handled, in the Development Thread ;) [WoB members only]

slink

I'm in favor of the peanuts, too.  I did not realize they grew so far north.

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on September 03, 2014, 05:24:43 AM
I'm in favor of the peanuts, too.  I did not realize they grew so far north.

The north shore of Lake Erie is known around here as "the Banana Belt," though this ol' California boy can tell you that is a significant exaggeration.  ;)