News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Irrelevant: Beanblossom - no markets

Started by irrelevant, September 14, 2015, 07:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

I'm not sure where this idea started from, it reminds me of something @Nilla would do.  ;) I want to explore what a town with no markets whatsoever looks like, what you have to do to make it work, and how its development is hampered. I tried a half-dozen random seeds before I got one that seemed worth exploring. Got a bunch of mods enabled, we'll see how many of them get used.

Terrain leveler, right away, to place the hunting cabin  ;D

You know me, buncha food right away. First year, one house; next year, two.

irrelevant

Year 3

I forgot about NMT!  :o :-[  I tore down the vanilla hunter's cabin and replaced it with a duplex NMT hunter.  ;)

irrelevant

Year 6

Should have built the chestnut orchard sooner, need cheap protein so I can put more venison in the TP. I should have a fisher as well.  >:(

irrelevant

My plan going forward is a series of small villages, all basically self-sufficient with forest circles, a wheat field or two, chestnut orchard, maybe a fisher, woodcutter, school, smith, tailor, and a trading post.

Away from the river will need to be different, obviously. I haven't decided yet what to do about iron, I'm tempted just to make the inland smiths walk to the river to get it. That will obviously impact tool production, but each smith will be producing for just a relatively small pop.

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on September 14, 2015, 07:02:18 PM
I'm not sure where this idea started from, it reminds me of something @Nilla would do.  ;)

You are so right.  ;D I've done this already, but only with mods. With the NMT markets it's easy. They are in fact markets, so I suppose you will not build any of them either. I made it with the specialized barns from @slink, too. That was also no big problem. But if you use none of them, it could be interesting. In any case; I wish you much luck, I will follow your efforts with interest.

irrelevant

@Nilla yes, I will not use any markets of any kind. It really forces a different way of planning and building.

Pangaea

Interesting idea. Wonder how it will go after 1000 years :D

What's the difference between the storage barn and the medieval normal barn?

You guys seem to get up trade posts and farms and such very early. I like to pretend they're stuck out in the wilderness at first, and need to build up the village a bit first. Built a TP in year 15 or so, and the first few farms around year 10. Food is rougher to get by, but I like it that way in the beginning :)

Good luck, will be interesting to see how it develops without any markets.

irrelevant

Quote from: Pangaea on September 15, 2015, 07:42:07 AM
Interesting idea. Wonder how it will go after 1000 years :D
Lol, not going to do that again! :o

What's the difference between the storage barn and the medieval normal barn?
Storage Barn is ugly, Medieval Storage Barn is pretty. It's from a @RedKetchup mod "Irrelevant Small Barns v1.0c" that has four really nice barns of different sizes. That particular one is exactly the same size and capacity as a regular barn (nope, the modded barn holds 10k), the others are 4x4, 3x3, and 2x2. http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=941.45 , see reply #49

You guys seem to get up trade posts and farms and such very early. I like to pretend they're stuck out in the wilderness at first, and need to build up the village a bit first. Built a TP in year 15 or so, and the first few farms around year 10. Food is rougher to get by, but I like it that way in the beginning :)
I figure that for this town, no markets will be challenge enough.  ;)

Good luck, will be interesting to see how it develops without any markets.
Thanks!

irrelevant

Year 13

Stone is the problem here. Merchants are bringing 33 here, 66 there.

Got some sheep.  :D And plum seeds, so there's another orchard going up.

The original crew just died off, mostly, so expansion is on hold for a bit.

xyris

I think those early years are the most fun.   :)

irrelevant

@xyris boy they sure are! Every decision seems portentous.

Year 20 - lots more micromanagement. You have to be careful not to let any of the barns fill up with inedibles. I've been fake-demolishing a barn or two every couple of years, just to keep things spread around. The original barn seems to be a particular favorite to get food from, while the NMT barns on either side of it tend to fill up.

Turning off farms, something I never do. Running gatherers' huts and foresters with 1-2 workers instead of 4. Making smaller farms of sub-optimal size, just to have some wheat and some squash both produced in the same area, or just to have some wheat production, to go along with roots and onions, without filling up the barns.

Nilla

I have an advice for you, if you have problems with full barns:

Don´t produce so much. You read my last blog. They can live with very little. And you don´t have to be quite as extreme as I was. I would suggest 100 food for for each inhabitant 1 coat, 1 tool. If you want to have much of anything than firewood. It doesn´t fill the barns.

I would also be careful with hunters and pastures, just as you say; not letting the barns be full of inedibles. But I can´t see any problems of that at the moment. You don´t have too much of anything of those things.

irrelevant

Yes, I started shutting down producers last night. Things are turned down pretty low. It's slow to show an effect in the barns, because there are so few consumers!

I can cut back some more though.

Pangaea

Maybe you've done this already, but you can also use the trade posts as temporary storage, for instance for tools or coats if you have heaps of those laying* around.

*is this correct? I'm not a native speaker, and always get a bit confused by lay/lie and the tenses.

irrelevant

Yes, I'm doing that to an extent, with thousands of venison and mushrooms; but I actually do intend to trade those items.

Lie/lay is probably the toughest pair of verbs in English.

"To lay" is active; transitive, requires a direct object. I lay the book on the table (present), I laid the book on the table (past), I have laid the book on the table (perfect tense), I am laying the book on the table, he lays the book on the table.

"To lie" is passive; intransitive, has no direct object. I lie on the floor (present), I lay on the floor (past), I have lain on the floor (perfect tense), I am lying on the floor, he lies on the floor.

-except-

"To lie, " as in to tell an untruth, also intransitive, but has a regular conjugation: I lie, I lied, I have lied, I'm lying, he lies.

So, back to your question, it would be more correct to say, "if you have heaps of those lying around." But the way you said it, everyone knows what you mean, and even native English-speakers will get that one wrong probably more often than they get it right.