News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant: Oolitic: as hard as I can make it

Started by irrelevant, November 06, 2015, 07:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Oolitic is on a small mountain map, harsh climate, hard start. I'm going for Mountain Men, Isolationist, and One with Nature, with no schools, smiths, tailors, or markets. I have no idea if this even is possible, but we'll see. ;)

At least I'll have plenty of iron to build a quarry. :)

Going to need extra choppers, foresters, gatherers, and fishers, Normally I would double up on hunters, but the leather would clog up the barns.

irrelevant

Now that was interesting. You can see there was a deer kill down in the lower left center (circled in red). But the only hunter cabin is in the lower right center. I guess Ollis switched over from laborer to hunter after he delivered stone to the cemetery under construction there just below the deer kill.

Nilla

WOW, this one will be tough! Interesting! Looking forward to see how it will work.

As you know from my last game, without schools, trading ports and farming; that part works quite well. I don't think the lack of markets will hurt much in this game. The lack of clothing isn't very bad in a normal game. With a harsh climate hurts a bit more, but I think it's still manageable. Short distances between houses and working places are more important than usual, because they will go home more often in winter to get warm. What I don't know is the influence of no tools. As I remember you tried this in one of your games and the productivity wasn't as bad as you might think.

So yes, I think it will work, if you go on slow and careful.

irrelevant

@Nilla Slow and careful is the plan. None of the conditions by itself is really that hard, but all of them together....

Already regretting the hunter somewhat. Summer 5 and I have 58 leather in storage. It's just going to keep accumulating. But a hunter is such a good food producer. Not sure whether I'll build more.

If I don't I'm going to need some well-sited fishers to compensate.

irrelevant

Uneducated, tool-less fishers are really awful.

irrelevant

Year 10 - pop 46

Got the quarry up, at least there now will be a trickle of stone.

Takes 18 whacks to fell a tree or turn a rock into stone/iron. Twelve whacks to turn a log to firewood, 15 to advance a construction project one notch. I think about 200 whacks in the quarry to get one stone.

Anyone know how many it takes if the worker has a tool?

tomnobles

You know, Ive watched several times, but never counted. Seems like 5 or six.

Edit:  six -  four to fell it and two to make logs.   :)

Nilla

It's always nice to ask you questions, @irrelevant. Every time I see something, that I probably had done in a slightly different way, you have an answer that makes perfect sense. Here we go again:

The homes you build at the quarry; why don't you build them as close to the entrance of the quarry as possible? I mean, with no clothing, the people will have to get home to get warm several times during the winter and the productivity is miserable with uneducated anyway.

I thought about what you would do with the leather, too. Extra leather barns? I suppose it's the only thing to do, if you want to keep your hunter(s) and not changing your mind about tailor/trading port.

irrelevant

@Nilla in general I like to build small structures like houses and small stockpiles along rivers and streams, and backed up against hills, and save the spaces closer to the center for larger structures like hunters, foresters, herbalists, and gatherers. I was thinking of putting a hunting cabin and/or another forester next to that cemetery. Also, if I start with housing along the streams and hills, if I later wish to add more housing, it is easier to place it than if I had already used the prime spots and had to fit new houses into the odd leftover shapes.

There have been times when I have placed houses in prime spots that I later wished were vacant. So I no longer worry so much about min/maxing the work-home distance, and just try to use the available space efficiently. As long as I have housing nearby, I'm good with that.

Hopefully I won't come to regret this casual choice. Maybe with conditions as hard as I have chosen, I should be min/maxing, but my bet has been that I don't need to.

The production at the fishing dock is so bad, I hesitate to build more of them. The fishers are just barely feeding themselves. I'll just build hunters, maybe fewer than I normally would, and build the storage necessary for the leather. As soon as I get to 300 (Isolationist), I'll build a TP and sell leather and iron.

irrelevant

Early Autumn 13 - pop 60

Mountain Man clock started running in early spring 12

Spreading out with a house first, then a forester, then another house, then a gatherer, then a barn and another house. Rinse and repeat, with bridges as needed. Producing just enough stone.

Going to cross the river before long, to reach the promised land in the fourth image.

Nilla

It looks very good to me.

I can see you couldn't resist to build  (at least) one more hunter's hut. I hope the leather doesn't fill all the barns.

Those 8 toolless, uneducated stonecutters; how much stones do they produce in one year?

irrelevant

@Nilla probably won't make another one. Getting about 40-60 leather/year total. That's around 7-10% of one barn full/year. I can handle that....for now anyway.  ;)

When I get to the point where I have lots of laborers, I'll make fishers instead, despite their miserable production rate.

If I remember correctly, I got 25 stone from the quarry last year.

Edit: 24 stone last year. Currently have 264 leather, less than 10% of my total barn storage.

Edit: well, now it's up to 32-36/year, still with 8 cutters. The 24 must have been the first year with 8.

irrelevant

Late Summer 16 - pop 74

Replacing the original hunter with a gatherer. Need the food, don't want the leather. I have enough guys now to stick eight of them on fishing docks to produce 900 food/yr. :-\

The big problem now is mushrooms >:(!! 2827 of the damn things, taking up ~30% of my storage. Normally I trade them away.

irrelevant

For the next few years, I plan to concentrate on building up as large a reserve of food and firewood as I can manage. Before I reach pop 300 (the threshold at which I can build TPs), I expect that my food production will begin to fall short of requirements, and I will begin to rely heavily on stored food.

Nilla

How much food do you plan to store? In my last town I had about 40 000 before it started to get down. As you know; that worked fine, but with your toolless Bannies, I would recommend more.

It's certainly also good to store a lot of firewood and/or logs. I had some problems as the population got close to 300. There were some problems to get enough logs.

I would also store enough stones and logs to be able to build enough houses in order to expand fast, as you start to live from what you have stored.

I'm looking forward to see how you will make it.