News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Resource producers on markets

Started by irrelevant, September 09, 2014, 07:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

So I have been doing this more and more, seeing how far you can push it; turns out you can push it pretty far.

Screen 1 - Market supported production

You can see the out-of-supply tailors there; they are all set to make warm coats, and the markets have run out of leather. There is leather on the map though, and so the tailors have set off in search of it, and are clear across the map. I had thought, "well, I'll just make warm coats until the leather is gone, and then I'll switch back to wool," which I have done over and over again. But this time it bit me. My map is so large, there is inevitably going to be leather here and there. I'll lose half the year's production from these guys.

The same thing has happened in a couple of spots with blacksmiths making steel tools, making long treks to find coal. I suspect it also has happened a few times at taverns; although my system is flooded with apples, there may be local shortages (I have a couple of markets that support 6 taverns), and the brewers will have to go to the next market to find fruit.

None of this would be happening if I hadn't gotten stingy with my vendors. If you are going to do this, go all in and use lots of vendors. I just bumped all these markets to 15, and if that doesn't take care of the problem, next is 20, and then 24.

Nilla

QuoteNone of this would be happening if I hadn't gotten stingy with my vendors. If you are going to do this, go all in and use lots of vendors. I just bumped all these markets to 15, and if that doesn't take care of the problem, next is 20, and then 24.

In my "trading-towns" I always fill the vendors and traders to maximum (24/20) as soon as I can. But as far as i have seen, it is not enough to supply too many plants. I never build more than one woodcutter/tailor/(blacksmith) on each market. Ale is a bit different, there are more apples, and one market can supply 4, 6 or maybe even more ale brewers, specially if there are barns close.

By the way: If I have tradesmen, I never produce tools (except for the 1 toolmaker, I have from the start, he may sometimes stay). Steel tools are cheap.

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on September 10, 2014, 03:13:11 AM
In my "trading-towns" I always fill the vendors and traders to maximum (24/20) as soon as I can. But as far as i have seen, it is not enough to supply too many plants. I never build more than one woodcutter/tailor/(blacksmith) on each market. Ale is a bit different, there are more apples, and one market can supply 4, 6 or maybe even more ale brewers, specially if there are barns close.

By the way: If I have tradesmen, I never produce tools (except for the 1 toolmaker, I have from the start, he may sometimes stay). Steel tools are cheap.

I often have two tailors and/or two blacksmiths on a market, but only if it is in a location close to TPs and the stockpiles and barns that go with them. The vendors prevent any shortages here that I ever notice.

Or maybe that's a problem; shortages may be happening and I just don't notice them! What do you find to be a consistently attainable good output for wool coats and for iron tools? I always assume the ~110 average that I get is reasonable, I've never picked tailors and smiths apart like I have done taverns however.

We clearly see taverns the same way.

I also don't normally put more than one woodcutter on a market. The extras are much better close to TP stockpiles.

I get stingy with vendors sometimes because my housing just doesn't keep pace with the rest of my development, and I worry about vendors crowding out farmers and producers. Clearly something I have to work on. This latest map is an example of this, as I am trying to get the entire space covered with farms before I really make the final push with building housing. It's so difficult to make progress building in the corners when you have 3000+ pop

Nilla

I cannot say anything about iron tools ( as I said I seldom build blacksmiths) but for clothing I think 110 is OK for a big map with a lot of tailors but not more. Just looked at my latest town where I have several tailors (not so big only 4, small map). The two, that only produce wool coats had 144 and 150 and i am also not sure, that there is always wool at the markets.  So you have some logistic problems, but I am sure it will be hard to solve, so I suppose you cannot expect much more.

One other thing, that I am also sure you will have to struggle with, is the fact, that ale is collected by the traders directly from the brewers. So avoid building any at all, far away from the ports. I didn´t think it would be a problem on a medium map, but it was. I had a lot of ale in store, but sometimes not enough at the trading ports. 20 Traders on each port, wasn´t enough to collect it all. And on a big map it must be even worse. I am pretty sure, that this is a part of the explanation, that the ale-production at my plants, was so low.

irrelevant

@Nilla You probably are right on the steel tools, the three-resource supply chain is too fragile, and they truly are not that expensive, especially when one is making tons of iron tools to trade for them. I go back and forth on this. My last town I didn't make any. I did an experiment early on in this town and it worked quite well. But when it gets to this scale there is too much that can go wrong.

Warm coats probably are the same, even though they have only two inputs. Still, a disruption in the leather supply, almost all of which I have to buy now, is crippling to production. Tools and coats both were below 100 per producer last year.

Ale production is still acceptable, although it has fallen off some. I feel that since there is going to be fruit at the market, I should have a brewer there, even if he makes only 300 ale. That is better than no ale from those apples.

Nilla

If you have to buy the leather for the coats, I would definitely leave that and buy the coats. To me it is much more reliable, easier to control and faster to manage, if there is a shortage.

KennethDuran

My experience is that people take the better coats first, but that is with hide and warm or hide and wool, not wool and warm. But seriously, who wouldn't prefer a stylish leather jacket with a wool lining to some woven thing?
Quote from: Nilla on September 11, 2014, 03:23:27 AM
If you have to buy the leather for the coats, I would definitely leave that and buy the coats. To me it is much more reliable, easier to control and faster to manage, if there is a shortage.