News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Looking for good modpack's or groups.

Started by Pai, July 19, 2019, 07:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theonlywanderer

@MarkAnthony

My method is absolutely easy, Mark, especially once a mod set has been configured.   I don't have to check or uncheck mods because they always remain active.  When you want to change games, you do nothing more then start that versions program and the mods are changed.  I don't need to run ModMan as an additional step in order to change things around each time.  I can skip from Vanilla to RKEC as simply as running the program from it's folder.

It's obviously not a solution for everyone or when experimenting and messing around with tons of mod setups.  It's just a different solution to a problem.

As for disk space... really?  What are you people using... 10gb drives?  Come on...

MarkAnthony

Quote from: theonlywanderer on August 25, 2019, 02:28:54 PM
@MarkAnthony
As for disk space... really?  What are you people using... 10gb drives?  Come on...
LOL okay, granted I did use the words, "huge amount of disk space" in this day and age. But it is still a waste of space, unnecessary clutter, unnecessary redundancy is all I meant.

Glad your system works for you.
Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

theonlywanderer

@MarkAnthony

FYI... the vanilla game is only 175mb and that's the only redundancy between folders.

With 6 folders, that's around 1gb.    Waste of space.... really?

The ModKit version is only 341mb.

As for clutter...  Nope, I don't think so, sorry.   It's very organized since only the mods needed for that game are in their respective windata folders.   Clutter free.

MarkAnthony

Duplicated files = clutter to me; duplicated files in the same space (same computer) more precisely.

10 different rooms in your home, the front page of the Sunday edition in each room (clutter) as opposed to one copy of the Sunday edition you take with you to whatever room your in. Just a simple and exaggerated example for sure.

But I digress, you win. Have a fabulous day.

theonlywanderer

@MarkAnthony

Not trying to win anything, just answering your assertions.

I can easily say ModMan is clutter...   programs I don't need = clutter.  And that would be just as ridiculous.

Your duplicate Sunday edition analogy is invalid for this scenario.  I am not simply duplicating the vanilla game only, it becomes an entirely different version.   A more proper example would be having a separate sofa and bed instead of needing to reconfigure a sofabed combo every time you needed to use it one way or the other.   Far more convenient to just walk to a dedicated sofa and sit down or walk to a dedicated bed and lie down.

brads3

i'll keep the mod manager. it does other things and saves much time. with it, you do not need to exit completely and reload when altering mod orders. that is a huge time saver. let along how fast and easy it is to move a mod up or down in the order.again a huge time saver.

@theonlywanderer  when you  change from 1 WinData folder to the other,you still have to adjust the mod order. if mod A must be below mod B when changing situations,you must do so manually. the registry remembers the last way you played the game. unless you change them manually,every setup has to use the same mod order. that doesn't always work.

there are times both ways work. i have some of the prior RK versions copied into folders. with each folder i kept a copy of the mod order from the mod manager.this way the whole mod set up and order is saved together. each folder labeled with the RK version #.i could reload each setup in seconds on 1 load. if i did it your way,i would have to enable and move any mods individually that are placed different.

one of the big advantages of the mod manager is how much time it saves. the old way you have to move each mod 1 click at a time to arrange the order.with the newer versions of the RK EC,there are mods that have moved from near the top to way down the list. then enable all of them and exit and reload the game. all of that can be done outside the game now. you load the game and play with a new mod order.no enabling and moving them and no exit and relaod. if there are conflicts found while playing the game,you can change the order with the mod manager for the next game instantly. the old way,you would have to exit the current map,then reset the mod order,exit again, and reload completely.

the mod manager is just a piece of paper with the mod order wrote on it.

theonlywanderer

@brads3

I don't have to adjust anything after the initial setup.   I specifically said "Mod setups" for a reason.   Once you have a setup of mods you enjoy using together, it works really well to simply make another Banished game folder that contains just those mods.   I have nothing against ModMan, why would I?   I am simply pointing out an alternative way to run the game with a specific set of mods and it works really well.

If somebody is experimenting, sounds like ModMan is pretty darn nice, no doubt.

I don't know why you guys make it sound like I'm bashing ModMan or something or that I'm suggesting you have to do it my way.   Use whatever you like, I never suggested otherwise.

brads3

you are correct. that is the great thing with Banished, we can all play different. i only explained the mod manager to make sure you knew how much time it saves.was trying to be helpful. i do like the folder option at times. it is handy to have the files grouped together.

irrelevant

Quote from: theonlywanderer on August 25, 2019, 07:34:59 PM
@brads3
I don't have to adjust anything after the initial setup.   I specifically said "Mod setups" for a reason.   Once you have a setup of mods you enjoy using together, it works really well to simply make another Banished game folder that contains just those mods.   I have nothing against ModMan, why would I?   I am simply pointing out an alternative way to run the game with a specific set of mods and it works really well.
I've started doing this as well. I tried using ModMan, but something just wasn't clicking for me. It was not intuitive to me at all, and I couldn't figure out how to make it work. Now, spamming directories up and down, that's intuitive! :-[ But it works great. And as you say, it's not like there's any shortage of disk space.

MarkAnthony

Quote from: irrelevant on September 18, 2019, 04:43:06 PM
I've started doing this as well. I tried using ModMan, but something just wasn't clicking for me. It was not intuitive to me at all, and I couldn't figure out how to make it work.
I didn't realize you were having issues or difficulties, I would have helped sort it out - the one thing I am not short on is "words" - I can be very verbose when being detailed! Ask anyone who's ever messaged me  :D

I think ModMan is wonderful and duplicated files are evil!   ???

brads3

@irrelevant
mod manager is easy to use.unlock it and install it. did you move it to the banished folder? when you get the mod manager open,there is a list of the mods in the windata folder in order of the last game you played.you can grab and move them or grab and move several at once. no ore clicking the up button 100 ties to get a mod where it belongs. plus you can enable or disable mods without being in the game. this is the beauty of the mod manager, everything is done without loading the game and rebooting it.

irrelevant

Quote from: MarkAnthony on September 18, 2019, 04:53:53 PM
Quote from: irrelevant on September 18, 2019, 04:43:06 PM
I've started doing this as well. I tried using ModMan, but something just wasn't clicking for me. It was not intuitive to me at all, and I couldn't figure out how to make it work.
I didn't realize you were having issues or difficulties, I would have helped sort it out - the one thing I am not short on is "words" - I can be very verbose when being detailed! Ask anyone who's ever messaged me  :D

I think ModMan is wonderful and duplicated files are evil!   ???
Your instructions seemed very clear. At the time I tried to use it, I simply got tired of fiddling around with it, and I wanted to start a new town NOW. ;D It's not like I use scores of mods or have lots of towns going at once, and I rarely switch from one town to another. Multiple directories is easy, and I don't have to think. I get tired of thinking sometimes ;). I have enough trouble trying to decide what size cemetery to build.

irrelevant

Quote from: brads3 on September 18, 2019, 04:58:51 PM
@irrelevant
mod manager is easy to use.unlock it and install it. did you move it to the banished folder? when you get the mod manager open,there is a list of the mods in the windata folder in order of the last game you played.you can grab and move them or grab and move several at once. no ore clicking the up button 100 ties to get a mod where it belongs. plus you can enable or disable mods without being in the game. this is the beauty of the mod manager, everything is done without loading the game and rebooting it.
Sounds great! Got those instructions already. I put more time into trying to get it to work than I wanted, and it still wasn't working. So I've gone over to the dark side. ;)

MarkAnthony

Quote from: irrelevant on September 18, 2019, 05:19:42 PM
So I've gone over to the dark side. ;)
Indeed you have, tsk tsk.   :-X

Oh and uhmm... there's a pill for that ... ermm a chart I mean!   ;)   For the cemeteries, all 183? possible Vanilla size combinations and how many tombs each one holds. I made it for Nilla, it was one of my first contributions to this community; not sure if you ever saw it but here ya go.

Ignore the color-scheme, it was for my own use in my spreadsheet. But if you are curious about the color-scheme, the ones in medium blue with black text are the ones I actually built in the game to get me some real numbers. The red numbers was me working it out from there backwards and forwards.

irrelevant

Yeah, I know the stats. Then I start thinking about it. "I know a 13x7 is lots better than an 8x9. But do I really need that much gravesite space now? And how long will it take my earlier 7x7 to empty out? Do I really want to take up that much prime real estate right here? Right now? What might I want to put here instead?" On and on. It's easy to reach decision-making paralysis.

Option 1

Option 2, there could be a road down the side between the paused tailor and the paused smith.

Option 3, or maybe I should build it someplace else? :-\

This is why I build so slowly. :-[