News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

DS Roads v4

Started by Discrepancy, June 03, 2016, 04:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discrepancy

an instance of the road being a little too hard to see at winter:

This is by changing the material file (Terrain/TiledDecals/StoneRoad02Material.rsc) of my custom Stone Road 02, to link to a different 'RoadTileTexture.rsc', which links to a different 'RoadTile.png' alpha image of the road. But this is making the edges of the road not blend in to the surroundings, so I scrap that idea.

@Tom Sawyer , I have tried and tried to adjust my alpha channel saved in the png-24 file of the road texture (with the material file linked to: Material _material = "Material\TerrainTiledDecal\TerrainTiledDecalMaterial.rsc"), but it doesn't change anything with the road at winter than the pictures I showed earlier. perhaps I'm not doing it right (first real attempt), or I have misunderstood?
perhaps there is a way to edit the 'TerrainMaterial.srsl' file? any help would be greatly appreciated.

@rkelly17 , absolutely, I will definitely include one in an upcoming release :) great idea.

Tom Sawyer

It sounds as if you had done everything right. Some detail is wrong.

You have Photoshop? Create a blank layer below your texture and an alpha channel. Activate the rgb channel. Do not draw in the alpha channel itself. Erase your texture with 50% opacity, for example. Or only certain areas. I used some tools to select only the dark areas between the little stones for a nice effect. You should now see a semi-transparent texture. Save for Web as 24bit png how you made it. Save it as a separate file so that you keep your visible texture for further modifications. Use the original materials of tiled textures. Just as you have done it.

The compiler gives a warning if the alpha channel of a tiled texture is full white. He should make it without comment.

Discrepancy

Updated to v2.

• Adds 135 degree versions of Stone Roads 01, 04 & 05.
  • Adds smaller version of Stone Road 03.
  • Adds Wood Road, with all 4 angled variations.
  • Angled Variation Roads all have their own toolbar menu
  • All textures optimized and adjusted to fit better with surroundings.
  • BETARoads are now visible in the snow (beta, work in progress. I have currently just linked all of the roads Material files to Material _material = "Material\TerrainTiledDecal\TerrainTiledDecalMaterial.rsc").

@Tom Sawyer, yes I have photoshop. I haven't been making a blank layer below the texture. I will try as you have explained, thanks :)
... v2.1 coming soon (hopefully).

Gatherer

This is looking better and better.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Paeng

Quote from: Discrepancy on June 05, 2016, 05:59:50 PMan instance of the road being a little too hard to see at winter:

To me this looks great - it's all snowed in, but we can still see where the roads run...

* This is more or less what the CC roads now look like - apparently they also worked on this in 1.62...  :)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Discrepancy

Yes you are right Paeng, the issue I've had with that though is it seems to be pushing up the ground/grass texture during the summer and grass is visible here and there on the paths. I will play around more after work, and will try to show you a picture of what I does. It isn't too bad for some of the roads, but on some it looks dreadful. I would also like the edges to blend in more and not have such a sharp edge.
Hopefully I can alter the textures and get it working better as per Tom Sawyers instructions.

Discrepancy

I'm slowly winning with the alpha channels with the textures, lots more adjusting to do though before I'm happy with them though. But they are looking better at snowfall.

A weird curiosity here in my testing:
a floating house... Dorothy's flying house somehow arrived in banished land

Tom Sawyer

That looks good. I remember I used the magic wand tool with a tolerance to erase the areas between the stones with 80 or 90%, then invert the selection and erase the rest with 10 or 20%. It takes a few tries but you have a good eye for details. This way should bring a result like the vanilla stone road...

Paeng

Quote from: Discrepancy on June 06, 2016, 05:17:36 PMI would also like the edges to blend in more and not have such a sharp edge.

Yeah, good thinking! And it looks better and better... :)

The mean thing is - even if you get nice fading edges - the moment you put two textures side by side (e.g. a stone and a dirt road), you get a hard edge again... (not complaining - I just see the possible frustrations)  ;)

Quote from: Discrepancy on June 07, 2016, 02:15:26 AMa floating house...

LOL, yeah I see that once in a while, too - I guess that may be a problem with the decal?

Discrepancy

Okay, I'm finally getting there with these textures and the snow look. I've done most of the stone roads, the gravel roads and a few of the dirt roads.

This is Stone Road 01

Paeng

Oh yeah - this looks quite perfect... Awsome!  :)

Discrepancy

Updated to version 3.

check back to the first post for new pictures.

Installation:

Download .zip file, Right-Click and click Extract All...

After extracting the DSRoads.pkm file, move to your Banished WinData folder.

Should be save game compatible, and compatible with most mods.

michbret

Very nice work ! Thanks

Turis

kid1293

There is so much I hope I have time to see it all.
Fantastic, a real keeper!