Main Menu

Proper Time

Started by kid1293, October 26, 2016, 03:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid1293

elemental

I changed these to -
   float _adultAge = 2.0; (10 years)
   float _marriageAge = 3.0; (15 years - approx. at school end, see later)
   float _marrigeRange = 3.0; ( 15 years)
   (together with last value gives max marriage age = 30 years)
   float _childMinAge = 3.0; (15 years)
   float _childMaxAge = 9.0; (45 years)

float _maxAge = 15.0; (same)
   float _maxAgeTolerance = 3.0; (same)

Does that mean that they won't marry after 30? Even if they arrive as nomads older than 30 or if they lose their spouse?

kid1293

I stayed with the same limit as original game. 30 years
It's low, I admit, but it also stops older men from preying on schoolgirls.

You find the source in the forum thread 'Tiny Thoughts' if you want to change.
I wish more people took the time to learn the modkit. It takes a short time
to learn and gives so much more when you can test your own ideas.

Turis

Hmm... there's a big difference between oneyearisoneyear mod and yours. ref.  http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=73. Can you explain the effects of this other mod, if you want, to clear my mind?

elemental

Quote from: kid1293 on October 26, 2016, 10:57:57 PM
I stayed with the same limit as original game. 30 years
It's low, I admit, but it also stops older men from preying on schoolgirls.

I'm not criticising you, it just seems weird to me if that's indeed what happens in the vanilla game. That's why I asked. :) I use Flux Capacitor aging mod. Not sure of the exact figures in that one but I'm pretty sure they will still marry later in life with that mod.

kid1293

Quote from: Turis on October 27, 2016, 01:36:56 AM
Hmm... there's a big difference between oneyearisoneyear mod and yours.
Can you explain the effects of this other mod, if you want, to clear my mind?

They basically do the same thing. Gordon has other numbers in what maybe
fits together but I wanted to do my own without anything else than time.
I don't care about walking distance or if they go hungry. That's the game.
I just want time to go one year at the time and no 3 months pregnancies
like in vanilla game. No 60 years/11 years marriages. I have tested a lot!
School could be shorter but then they move out on their own and occupy
an entire building for some years...

I guess we all have our preferences about a time mod.
Some want to live for a hundred years and some want to study maybe ten years.
It's hard to predict what other people want so I released what I use all the time. :)
It was Tom Sawyer who pointed out the red flags of other time mods.
They change things they shouldn't.  :P

Tom Sawyer

A difference to the 1:1 aging mod is the required food. The 1:1 mod reduces it to 90 per year (vanilla 100). Another change affects health to reduce the use of herbs. And a few weird couples arise because of the age of marriage (7-70). It is good to avoid one-person-households and to reduce the required houses.

So if you want an easy game with a few 'cheaty' changes, choose 1:1. If you want a mod that just makes real time, choose this one.

The realistic ageing mod is similar to proper time, but makes changes to immigration and livestock. Maybe a longer lifetime for animals. I'm not sure, but it causes red flags in combination with the North. That's why I prefer the proper time.

This aging mod by Flux I do not know.

Nilla

I've tested 3 different "real time" mods: yours @kid1293, from @Gordon Dry and @torgonius. I have some mixed emotions about them all. I don't know, what you've changed Kid, but I found the earlier version worked as good as a mod like this could.

Sure, there are differences especially between Gordon's and to the other both quite similar mods but the big difference of cause is to the vanilla version. It's easy to understand why Luke choose this weird 4 years aging each year. It simply gives a more agreeable gameplay.

These things are characteristic of all real time aging mods:

1. The start is slow and boring

2. Taking nomads is a way to speed the population growth up BUT in a real time mod, the nomads have a large impact on the educational rate (they live 4 times as long). Taking many nomads means productivity loss due to the uneducated penalty.

3. After a while it's harder to support the population, even without nomads. Children stay unproductive 4 times as long as in a vanilla game.

4. Later you have to pay very much attention to the population growth. It's easy to let the growth get out of control, especially if you build houses with room for many children. (Remember my request of a 3 person family house  ;)  )

Turis

Okay, thanks to all of you for the info. :)

Paeng

Quote from: Nilla on October 27, 2016, 04:37:44 AMI have some mixed emotions about them all.

Same here, I tested all of them, and I dislike all of them...

QuoteIt's easy to understand why Luke choose this weird 4 years aging each year. It simply gives a more agreeable gameplay.

Yep - maybe it's because we "grew up" (into Banished) with his sense of timing, but to me it's perfectly agreeable... well, I'm a x2 player anyway, never go to x5 or more, and also pause a lot... so my years pass slowly anyway, stretching them even more makes gameplay boring to me.

I would appeal to keep this type of modding totally optional, as a companion mod...

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Turis

Well, I'm a bit puzzled. We're talking about citizen's aging not the game accelerated time speed which I don't use at all. Hence the reason I used to use the 1:1 mod so I'll get workers sooner, but, in a realistic manner...  :)

Paeng

Yeah, I know what we're talking about... sorry, didn't mean to confuse you  :-X
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

brads3

yes the aging is a double edged sword. i agree wwith NILLa that the 1yr mods slow the game too much. but without it the vanilla game sets keep you busy building houses and food. seems to b no middle ground.i actually use an older version of the 1:1 mod. it was set to have children to age 45 and the max is +60 i believe. it is a nice acomplishment to b able to keep a bani to that 70 or more. most of the age mods seem to drop the max down.
the other difference to them is the school start and length times. some start later or go longer. either way same results,the children arent helpful for longer times. where in real farming and way back then,children helped families survive. they carry wood,feed livestock,weed gardens,etc. and you dont need to read and write to do all that.
   the hard part i find is i have food reserves and can build the town way bigger and faster than i should b able to at the start. but all of a sudden my food reserve drops sharply. like all at once. has happened several times.i'll have almost 25,000 food andd then all of a sudden less than 5,000.i've even wondered if it is something to do with the save. seems i notice it right after i reload. that could just b i didnt catch it til i stopped. the nomads i pick up are a family and single men. very challenging to get population growth.after about yr 40 or so ,yeah it picks up . but then it goes the other way,u need material to expand and build but the ppl are tied up producing food.
     i have to  try the "proper"mod since KID says it wont conflict. i have a mod that allows more  children in a house but it clashes with the 1:1 mod.in the beginning of a game those extra children help.

brads3

Paeng dont confuse Turis . he'll throw diapers at you. the problem with game speed in any equation is it is dependant on the comp. if u have more power the speed goes up regardless of the setting. without power a speed of 10X may only b 1. mine sux. i found a work around. if i play n minimize the game,it picks up speed. the banis keep busy and accomplish more faster. you must pay attention thou,or they will do something foolish. at 10X and i watch them , the seasons change slowly and the banis are too slow. i minimize and do something for just a min or 2 and the banis build and harvest fine.

kid1293

@brads3 - So you say a mod should make couples marry later in life too?
That's the first real suggestion I get since I started in Tiny Thoughts.

What's a 'proper' age? Around 45-50? Or just a bit more than vanilla, about 35-40?
I can like that, since I just got some nomads in and they took separate houses.  >:(
Then I thought about this discussion...