News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Hunting and gathering while on the job

Started by gatinho65, June 11, 2014, 04:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatinho65

Since all the villagers can do any job at any time and with great skill, if educated anyway, I don't see why they can't hunt and gather while on their work routes. Why do they have to go home all the time? If they are building something far away, packing a lunch is a great idea but why not simply spend a set amount of time hunting and/or gathering, rather than do the looooong hike back to the village barn or house? That's a mod I'd love to see.

Kaldir

I can imagine people wanting this, but I'd rather have the current specialized jobs. If everyone gathers food, the balance would chance a lot.

salamander

@gatinho65 -- How much food do you see on-the-job gathering bringing in?  Enough to replace the game's current gatherers completely, or just as a supplement to food supply?  I have to agree with @Kaldir, unless the amount of food being gathered while on the job was so small that it was basically insignificant, including it would probably be a re-balancing nightmare.

EDIT: Typo correction

gatinho65

I meant only to feed themselves, not adding anything to the resource total. Since they clearly need to eat, I just wasn't sure why they couldn't spend time feeding themselves foraging if there wasn't a barn nearby, or they lived way back in town. I guess the lunchbox idea in one of the patches was something about this. I just wondered why they couldn't forage instead of needing lunch boxes to meet their own needs.

Kaldir

Only to feed themselves still means you would need a lot less food. Only the children and students would have to be fed then, since everyone else has a job. What I like about the lunchbox idea is that you still need to have that food. Without enough food, no lunchboxes.

From a reality view I could imagine workers eating on the road, but in this game I don't see how it would work. Might just be my narrowmindedness though, sorry. :)

gatinho65

Ah, okay, that makes sense. The way you explain it, I think its the way it should be, even the lunchboxes seems almost too advantageous. I feel like the lesson to be learned from many of the posts, as well as my own experience, is develop slowly, organically, and in small stages that don't involve lots of distance. Its hard, but important.

I've just only finished the second decade of time in my village and yet I've collected ALL the stone and iron that exists. Wow, sobering lesson about limited resources. I feel like trading in a way is a cheat, as all the other villages also have actual limits to their own resources. If sustainability and limits were taken seriously, there would have be options created for making housing and infrastructure based on recycling or renewable resources. Maybe too hard for a game; we certainly are failing in a spectacular way in the real world, as we burn down the planet and leave nightmares for the generations to come. Ugh, I'm playing Banished to avoid thinking about those things lol, better not dwell on them;) It just really hit me that I no longer can figure out how to get my villagers to collect further and further away without starving, as there isn't anything left to collect at all! And so soon!! And I only made it about 75 people!!! Clearly no rural metropolis lies ahead for me.

Kaldir

Apart from collecting surface iron and stone, and trading for it, you can also build a mine/quarry. But you need quite some workers for a serious production and you cannot remove these once placed. And it has a limited amount of iron/stone as well. No perfect solution either.

Trading is the only "sustainable" option for iron. For stone as well, but you only need a limited amount for building. Iron will be needed continuously for tools (unless you trade those in). See it as a reaaaaaaally big world out there, with (almost) unlimited resources compared to your tiny village.