News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - (North to) - Prospect - Story 18

Started by Abandoned, September 19, 2017, 02:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

my ducks just fly away. they don't get scared.

Abandoned

Chapter 3

We saw large herds of reindeer and flocks of black grouse that winter.  In spring there were adorable baby chicks.  In April, a couple arrived in town and decided to stay with us.  They had been prospecting without luck higher up in the mountains to the northwest.  They were finding it too difficult to survive on their own.  Constantos and Erli were happy with the small shack that was built in the forest and willingly took over as hunter and forester.  A new hunting tower was also built.

We were happy to have extra workers.   We were still in the processes of securing the basics for our town.  We had an outdoor classroom set up already and now could spare a worker to be teacher.  In November, Jamileth became our first student and Gennifred joined her shortly after.  We wished we would have been able to build a proper schoolhouse but the children didn't seem to mind being outside and they were allowed to go home often to warm up.  At least the classroom had a sturdy roof to protect them from the rain and snow. The children of Prospect would be educated including our newborn son, Cristen, who was born in February of year 3.

brads3

my indians want to take your hunting stand and change it to work like RED's towers so they can get pheasants and turkeys but i don't think we would get away with it.every place has different types of animals around the world.

Abandoned

@brads3 , no deal, I considered using Red's training camp tower but then remembered the buffalo, I know they don't roam way up North in Alaska.  I won't be building the red Nordic houses either  :( , they would not be found in Alaska.  I hope to compare some hunting and fishing numbers but we need wise Nordic woman @Nilla , that is her specialty.  Hopefully she will return soon.

brads3

she is very missed. i do think there is her numbers but they are for older versions.

Abandoned

Chapter 4

Year 4 was another busy year.  A bridge was constructed across the river.  There was stone, firewood, and wild foods aplenty to be collected and there were probably more gold nuggets to be found along the banks of the river and stream.

In April, 2 more prospectors arrived.  Kylar and Verenice were working a claim a little southeast of Nome but all they found were a few small nuggets and had had enough of prospecting.  They were happy to join us and a log cabin was constructed for them near the charburner.  Kylar thought there had to be a lot of fish in that big lake.  There probably were but for now we were happy just to be able to smoke the fish we caught from the pier.  Shedric and I took turns fishing or smoking the salmon.  We were both close to home and the children.

We now had an extra worker to help with the iron processing but we were often short of iron ore.  There was a great deal of bog iron across the river, but a short bridge across the stream was needed in order to reach it.  There were more gold nuggets to be found and by winter we had a total of 33 nuggets in storage.

In May Constantos and Erli had a baby girl they named Jellene and in February, Thur was born to Kylar and Verenice bringing our population to 20, 10 adults, 2 students, and 8 young children.  Prospect was doing well.

Abandoned

Chapter 5

In Spring of year 5, Ballace and Elmirandy arrived.  Ballace's father and brother were killed when the tunnel of their small gold mine collapse. There was no gold to be found and he had no interest in looking for any.  Elmirandy was a trapper by trade and she was twice his age.  No one questioned their living arrangements but they built themselves a small shack and a trapper's cabin. Elmirandy said we would get a good trade value for the furs and even more for fur coats.

Slowly but surely our small settlement of Prospect was growing and expanding.  Perhaps it was time we thought about doing a little trading.  We had plenty of fish and game but our overall health was not that good, we could use some grain.  And so we built a tiny trading post and Shedric became our trader.  It was completed by September and in February, a merchant was spotted coming downriver.  The sighting and imminent arrival of the riverboat merchant overshadowed any talk about Elmirandy giving birth to a baby boy they named Arling.

Dandro, the seed merchant, would not accept any of our goods in trade.  He carried seeds and could not be weighed down or slowed down with heavy trade goods.  He would only accept coins, dalers or pennings.  We could get them by trading with other merchants.  So he went on his way leaving us wondering how long before another trader came this way.

Abandoned

Chapter 6

In March of year 6, some sparkles of gold were spotted along the north shore, so a bridge was constructed across the river to the north.  In April, Singerzo and Campbelley arrived, but like the others who joined our town, they had little interest in prospecting.  It was a cool and often rainy spring, summer, and fall.  Even the animals were seen trying to seek shelter, they were unaware of the danger that Singerzo's hunter's stand posed to them. 

The beautiful wood chapel that was built that year raised our spirits but our health was still poor.

Campbelley soon had a herbalist workplace set up next to their cabin and it became a very popular place to visit.  I made several trip there myself.

By the end of year 6, Catalee the merchant arrived and we traded furs and tools for 20 dalers, we had 39 gold nuggets in storage, and our population had risen to 28, 14 adults, 3 students, and 11 children.

kid1293

Did you have that low health before?
Seems like they are slowly dying. But I think it only affects idling.

Abandoned

@kid1293 I did notice that their overall health was going down but did not realize until this point that some were much healthier than others.  Some have no herbs or wild foods in their pantries at all.  There are much less to be gathered in the North mountains.  I hope it only affects idle because that is the main storytelling character.  With visit to the new herbalist her health has improved 1/2 heart.  They need grain and dalers to buy grain seeds.  Hopefully soon.

kid1293

Such problems could be solved in part if you get a selection of seed from the beginning.
There is everything you need in seeds. Fruit Vegetable Grain Protein

Abandoned

This Gold Seeker start condition has no seeds or livestock, 3 families with tools & clothes & venison.  Prospectors only interested in striking it rich not settling down and farming.  This bunch is a little different, they settled down and plan to stay.

kid1293

The hard life?  ;)

I think they have time for a beer, so some seed is necessary. :)

Abandoned

Ya, it is a tough life for these poor guys with no beer.  :)  No seeds, no one to plant the seeds, and no one to make the beer.  Is the gold worth that kind of hardship?

kid1293

The bracelet maybe is. Who knows the mind of a bannie?