News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Cedar Creek - Story 20

Started by Abandoned, November 13, 2017, 08:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

@brads3 The trappers away from the pine forester are doing much better, trapper with pine forester had furs and pelts from the start, not none.  I have no other spawner mods enabled.  I set pine forester to cut only, maybe the forest is now too thick.  We shall see.

Abandoned

Chapter 6

In the month of the Frogs Return moon, 7 Dakota Sioux arrived in camp.  Winter had been harsh in the northern plains and food was scarce, they had not seen buffalo in many moons.  Of course we would help our brothers and welcomed them.

That year we plants corn, squash , and beans, the three sisters of native legend.  They would help each other grow.  The corn would shade the squash planted on the east side from the hot afternoon sun.  The morning sun would dry the dew from the squash and the vines would protect the corn from wild creatures coming to eat the corn.  The beans could twine up the corn plants for support and helped enrich the soil.

Wild foods were now being gathered on the outskirts of the north pine forest and again the trapper there was more productive than the trapper in the center of the pine forest.  But we did not fail to thank the Great Spirit for the eggs and game they did produce.

At the end of year 6 Cedar Creek settlement was prospering.  We had 32 homes and 86 residence.  Our storage sheds and crates were full and we were healthy and happy and it was good.

Abandoned

Mod Note:  Abandoned Places mod has been added to the map.  Thank you @kid1293, perfect timing.   :)

Chapter 7

In the month of the Budding Trees moon, our daughter Tian was born.  Dillam was pleased, it had been many moons since our son had been born.  It was not long after that 8 Sioux arrived from the Black Hills to the west.  The had traveled a long distance on foot because soldiers from a nearby fort took their ponies after killing many members of their tribe.  They had seen our smoke signal from a distance but could not make out what message we were sending. The smoke they had seen was from the kiln, we were again making iron from ore.  They were amazed at this powerful magic and wanted to see what strong tomahawks, bows, and knives, we were making.  We showed them our tools.  They scoffed at us: the pale-face enemy had powerful weapons, we could not fight them off with farm tools, but at least we destroyed their settlement.

We did not know of what they spoke.  We knew of no settlement nearby.  They said to the west of the Great Plains they saw an abandoned village that had been destroyed.  There was nothing left but wood, stone, and this strange iron of which we spoke.  There was a large empty covered wagon.  We would build a bridge to the west and see this sight.  First we would feast to welcome our brothers and we would plant our crops.  We would thank the Great Spirit for our first harvest of maple sap.

It was the month of the Ducks Fly moon before the bridge was finished and we made our way west across the plains to see this abandoned village of which our brothers spoke.  West is the direction of the setting sun before darkness comes, and the direction where dark storm clouds gather.  The color of the west wind is black.   The west wind is the wind of change, it blows the changing colored leaves down to the earth, enriching it and darkening it.  In this time of our lives we become more mature and down-to-earth and often complete earlier dreams and visions.  It is a time to contemplate the changes in our lives.  We contemplated deep dark thoughts of what the future might hold as we crossed the barren plains and saw the abandoned village for ourselves.

brads3

hey cheater,what mod you using to get reeds in the map? did you forget to list 1?

Abandoned

hey @brads3 the only mod those reeds could have come with is CC Frontier.  It has no terrains but does has some start conditions.  I don't think the pine set has reeds.

brads3

hmm , did you use a start setting from the frontier mod? no, pine doesn't have reeds.the nat div od wipes all my CC reeds out. everytime i try to make a duck blind i remember and have to use the dock set to harvest reeds.

Abandoned

@brads3 I used medium start, they looked like CC reeds to me, I just assumed they came with Frontier.  They are being harvested, I don't know offhand by who though.  They look nice.  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 8

We found no clue as to what might have happened to the people of the abandoned village, but as year 7 drew to a close, we were concerned for our people.  It was not unusual at this time of year when food was scarce, for elders to roam off into the hills alone to die for the good of the tribe. But food was not scarce now.  It was also not unusual for young men to set off alone on vision quests to find their identity and direction in life.  But these were not young men.  We were concerned for these young squaws and middle aged brave who set off alone venturing far from camp, some even crossing Cedar Creek to the North.  This was not the time of year to seek visions alone in the wilderness, it was cold and the snow was already deep.  When they did not return we prepared a sacred burial ground.  Should they join the elders in the happy hunting grounds, we would have a place ready to lay their human remains to rest.

When the snows melted we had a vision of the quest they set off on.  They sought the meat and hide of a deer on the far side of the creek, who must have been brought down by a stray hunting arrow.  With respect for the animal they set off to retrieve it's remains.  We built a bridge across the creek but were too late to shorten their return trip.

In spring of year 8, Deral the planter, arrived at the trading post.  He seemed afraid of us and did not speak our tongue.  We managed to convey to him through sign language that we wanted the wild horses he had.  He took our venison and was quickly on his way.   We set the horses free out on the plains where they could grow strong and multiply.

It was not long after that Ettina, the company merchant, arrived.  We understood him to say there was a great need for meat to the south.  We gave him venison in exchange for some wool.  We had no shortage of food, our harvests were good and the maple forest produced its first crop of wild apples.  The maple sap would be boiled down into maple syrup.  It was a very beautiful fall season and we had much to thank the Great Spirit for.

Abandoned

Chapter 9

Yes, we had much to be thankful for.  During the month of the Freeze Up moon, the buffalo returned to the plains.  It was a very small herd with one small calf but it would increase.  We would not hunt them until they numbered many.  Our children would rely on the herd as the ancestors did.  To celebrate the occasion we feasted on roast venison and smoke fish along with roasted corn, squash, and beans.  There were apples and cranberries and walnuts with maple syrup.

The first frost was immediately followed by a hard killing freeze and soon after the first snow.  One of the wild horses gave birth late in the year and we prayed to the Great Spirit to protect this small creature.  We prayed for all the creatures and for our people when the snowstorm hit.  An icy north wind swept across the plains with a fierceness we had not seen in many moons.  Hunters and gatherers struggled through deep drifts to find their way home.  The white-haired elders were wise to stay inside out of the cold winter wind.  The color of the north wind is white and it was White Buffalo Calf Woman who brought the sacred pipe to the Lakota people and taught us how to pray.  She told us to pray for those who had 4 legs and those that had 2 legs, and for all that fly, swim and crawl, and to thank the Great Spirit for all he had given us so we may live.

Yes, we had much to be thankful for and much to think about that winter of year 8.  Our Red Squirrel clan now numbered 102, 62 adults, 8 students, and 32 children.  In 8 years there had been no deaths or diseases and no one went hungry.  Again we waited for spring.

Abandoned

Chapter 10

And so weary traveler, I have tried to paint you a picture of Cedar Creek with all the colors of the wind: from the spiritual fiery morning red of the east wind the direction where the herbalist and healer are, to the emotional midday yellow of the south wind where the crops grow in the summer sun and the maple forest is, to the physical earthy autumn evening black of the west wind where the thundering hooves of buffalo can be heard and the fate of the abandoned settlement remains a dark mystery, and to the wintry white of the north wind where the white pines of the pine forest grow, and we are reminded of the wisdom of the wise elders.  So in our journey we have come full circle and return to the east and to spring. There are many lessons  to be learned traveling around the Medicine Wheel.  It is good and we thank the Great Spirit for all he has given us.

The End

Today is the 4th Thursday in November, Thanksgiving Day here in the United States.  The first Thanksgiving was a 3 day feast beginning on July 30, 1621.  There were local yearly harvest festivals but no officially proclaimed day of thanksgiving until in 1863 when President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed the last Thursday of November a national day of thanksgivings and prayer and praise to God.  (In 1939 the day was changed to a week earlier to lengthen the Christmas shopping season and in 1942 it was changed to the fourth Thursday of November as it is now)

I wish everyone everywhere, red and yellow, black and white, a very happy day of Thanksgiving.

kid1293

brads3

Abandoned

brads3

did you ever use the fort pieces and try the work camp and musket range? i am curious if they require gold and silver for payments.

Abandoned

@brads3 , no I did build a fort or work camp or musket range. Map ended when story ended.  Maybe another map and story, who knows?  :)