Main Menu

MD - Wood Cottage

Started by Maldrick, January 27, 2018, 02:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maldrick

MD - Wood Cottage

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=405

v1.3

A small wood cottage for 4 people.  Same warmth and storage as the vanilla Wooden House.

3x2+1

6 F-variants

-Originally done for @Discrepancy's modding tutorial found in the Tutorial sub-forum here.

-Added F-variants, footprints, and the community toolbar.

Sincerest thank you to Discrepancy, @kid1293 , and @RedKetchup for all of their help, advice, and answering my endless and circular questions.  Would have been completely lost without their help.  Many, many thanks, gentlemen.

Update: v1.3
-Fixed an internal naming issue with the footprint files.
(02-02-18)

Update: v1.2
-Fixed an internal naming issue that was causing a conflict with other mods.
(02-02-18)

Update: v1.1
-Fixed AO.  Snow now properly accumulates.  Shadows and textures in general look better.
-Changed the family size to 4
-Changed build cost to 24 wood
-Added preview.jpg
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

kid1293

Nice first mod!
It took me a year what you have done in a couple of weeks!

It is always nice to welcome a new modder! :)

Maldrick

One week, good sir! :P

Couldn't have done it without your help.  Thank you again!  Sincerely, I really appreciate everything.

Very excited for more.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

Maldrick

@kid1293 At whatever point is convenient, if you could have a look at it for any problems I would be very appreciative.  I'm convinced I haven't done something right.

kid1293

What do you mean - not done something right?
Sure, I can have a look.

edit - I quickly build 5 houses and all went fine.
Placement, footprint and points work.
There are some AO shadows drifting over the walls.
Happens sometimes. Maybe needs tweaking.
I always use Necora's values and they work.

One thing though - 5 persons in that house? Babies yes but teenagers?  ::)

Tom Sawyer

Congratulations on your first model @Maldrick:)

Maldrick

Don't know. lol  Just that feeling I forgot to do something I should have.

Maldrick

Discrepancy

Well done @Maldrick ! :) very nice.

They look great.

Only 1 thing to add to what @kid1293 mentioned:

I think the AO is wrong as you aren't getting snow on the buildings in winter.
(I really need to update the tutorial i made)
I think i remember reading earlier that you inverted the AO as i said in the tutorial - which I no longer do. sorry.
I did post a link to necora's post at the start of this thread where he explains the proper way to do the AO mapping.

:)

Maldrick

Quote from: Discrepancy on January 27, 2018, 03:13:15 PM
Well done @Maldrick ! :) very nice.

They look great.

Only 1 thing to add to what @kid1293 mentioned:

I think the AO is wrong as you aren't getting snow on the buildings in winter.
(I really need to update the tutorial i made)
I think i remember reading earlier that you inverted the AO as i said in the tutorial - which I no longer do. sorry.
I did post a link to necora's post at the start of this thread where he explains the proper way to do the AO mapping.

:)

Thank you, Sir.  Can't thank you enough for all of your help.

Yeah I wasn't sure if the AO was working right or not.  If I remap it, can I just plug in the map or will i need to redo the fbx?  I redid it at one point and it seemed fine, but wasn't looking for snow.  Just spread everything out as kid suggested but I'll use Necora's method when I go back to it.

Maldrick

Quote from: kid1293 on January 27, 2018, 02:53:29 PM

One thing though - 5 persons in that house? Babies yes but teenagers?  ::)

Haha.  I started to make it for 4 and reduce the cost, but decided to leave it same as wooden house.  Nice to have some small full sized houses for early forestry.

I'm going to redo the AO map soon.  I'll use Necora's method this time.  Spreading everything out seemed to fix the problem I was having so I left it at that, but I'll fix it.

Discrepancy

Quote from: Maldrick on January 27, 2018, 03:20:02 PM
Yeah I wasn't sure if the AO was working right or not.  If I remap it, can I just plug in the map or will i need to redo the fbx?  I redid it at one point and it seemed fine, but wasn't looking for snow.  Just spread everything out as kid suggested but I'll use Necora's method when I go back to it.

it actually depends on how you originally UV mapped the AO, if all the house parts are already separate and not overlapping then yes you can just re-bake the AO and save over the original AO.png, the game will just pull up the new one. But if they are overlapping or you need to re map it you will need to recompile the .fbx with the changes also.

my easiest was  to AO map is create the 2nd UVmap, in edit mode, select all vertices and then press 'U', select 'Smart UV Project', this wll spread out all parts of the building across the map, then new image in UV and bake the AO. Just save image as .png as your AO, you can then just brighten (or not) the AO to your liking when in game (keep modkit game running and you can make changes to textures/AO and go back and forth between programs and see changes real-time.

Maldrick

Oh wow...I did a second UV map for the AO as per kid's advice but I separated everything manually.  That's awesome.

But, yeah I still have a save as that point so I'll play with it. And use necora's method this time.  Need a break but will probably do it tonight.

And that's pretty cool about going back and forth. Seems like it will definitely be handy for textures, too.  From looking at these houses, did you think the AO could be lightened up?  Sometimes they strike me as a bit dark in the shadows.  A couple of the darker ones at least.

RedKetchup

woot woot Congratulations !!! for your first mod !!!!!
Hope this is the first of one of a long list of nice and successful mods :)

congrats !
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

:) very nice first mod, good job @Maldrick