News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mass Death Stories

Started by Biginuf, August 09, 2014, 08:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biginuf

Feel free to share a story on how your population was brutally exterminated.

Mine started with a few kids smoking behind a house, next thing you know 14 houses and a market were fully engulfed in flames, the fire brigade was running a bucket line from 2 different wells but didn't seem to help much.   I dont have a body count from the ones killed in the blazes but over the course of the next two winters the population dropped from 200 to 140 due to starvation, im not sure how i went from a huge surplus of food to none.  People were depressed and ate more maybe?

slink

I've never seen anyone killed during a fire.  The one time that I checked, the people who had been living in the house when it caught fire were living elsewhere.  I've had no notices of deaths during fires, either. 

It is true that the food in burnt buildings is destroyed, so maybe your huge surplus wasn't as huge as you thought.  I usually keep at least a year's supply for the entire colony and preferably a two year's supply.  I count that as 100 food per head.  In your case that was 600 food that you were short over two winters.  That could have been covered by two fishermen, gatherers, hunters, or farmers with their appropriate buildings.

solarscreen

I accepted 94 nomads into my town but little did I know they brought with them a surprise.  The cholera outbreak killed more than 300 people over the next year.  That put a dent in my town that took the next 5 years to fix!

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

mariesalias

I haven't had a mass die-off in awhile (knock wood) but aside from the first time I took in more Nomads then my town could handle, they have all happened because I got distracted for a little while and ran low on tools or food. Oh, I did have some large epidemics before I learned to not to build my hospitals in the town high traffic areas.

rkelly17

Quote from: solarscreen on August 10, 2014, 05:58:00 AM
I accepted 94 nomads into my town but little did I know they brought with them a surprise.  The cholera outbreak killed more than 300 people over the next year.  That put a dent in my town that took the next 5 years to fix!

That is a lot of people to die in an epidemic. The most I ever had die was 10 or so and that was when I got frustrated, said "To hell with you people" and turned the speed back up to 10X. Can you tell us a bit more about the circumstances so we can learn from your experience? Can I assume that, since you got 94 nomads at once, you were around 1000 or so population?

solarscreen

Quote from: rkelly17 on August 12, 2014, 08:12:40 AM
Quote from: solarscreen on August 10, 2014, 05:58:00 AM

That is a lot of people to die in an epidemic. The most I ever had die was 10 or so and that was when I got frustrated, said "To hell with you people" and turned the speed back up to 10X. Can you tell us a bit more about the circumstances so we can learn from your experience? Can I assume that, since you got 94 nomads at once, you were around 1000 or so population?

This was in my town called Flomaton, my first to reach 1,000 people.  It was actually a dysentery outbreak now that I go back to the story and after losing some 300 plus people, an old age die off hit and I dropped another 100 people bringing me from a little over 1300 down to the 800s. 

I think looking back at that town which is now back up to around 1200 that the problem I had was a combination of low education, 34%, and the hospitals were all built inside population areas rather than keeping them on the outskirts away from people so the disease won't spread.

The epidemic then caused a tool shortage and it was really hard working my way out a possible complete collapse.
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

mariesalias

Quote from: mariesalias on August 11, 2014, 10:04:12 AM
I haven't had a mass die-off in awhile (knock wood) but aside from the first time I took in more Nomads then my town could handle, they have all happened because I got distracted for a little while and ran low on tools or food. Oh, I did have some large epidemics before I learned to not to build my hospitals in the town high traffic areas.

I jinxed myself it seems.  ::)  I finally got a little time to play last night, started a new save, expanded too quickly, then inadvertently started a death spiral when they reached over 50 pop which wiped out the town.  :o

I forgot how quickly the population can grow when you start on easy.