News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mod request - smaller quarries!

Started by Alycya, August 30, 2014, 07:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alycya

I'm not a programmer and can't make head nor tail of the modkit, so this is a plea to those of you who can!

Is there any chance of making smaller quarries? I don't mind them running out and having a smaller capacity, it's just that the base game ones take up so much space on a smaller map and it can be difficult to find a flat enough place to put them on some maps. One that was half the size, with half the capacity and half the maximum workers, would be just perfect  :D

I'd love smaller markets too to serve outlying communities, but that's just being greedy!!

Many thanks in advance,

Alycya

mariesalias

Hmm, smaller quarries is an interesting notion.

graphite

Hi Alycya,

Yes all is doable, but would require a fair slice of time invested in it. Three new models to begin with, plus animations for terrain deformation, textures for all the models, then another set for fire, and of course the script ;) and this is the way I would do it.

Another method would be to hack the existing one. Take it into your 3D app cut model in half, throw away the half you don't want, and remap what you kept.   

Lastly, and I thought about this when I first started playing Banished, make it transform the terrain along the x and y axis instead of z, then demolish it when get gets to end of life. This way it could be used as a tool to shape the landscape, create a mountain pass or cut terraces into the side of mountains to survive in upcoming "Blackwood" mods ;)

cheers

Alycya

Thanks Graphite, sounds complicated! I'm in favour of hacking the original one, it would be less work. I've got no modelling experience either unfortunately :(

I like the terraforming idea. I think there's already a "delete quarries and mines" mod, so that part is doable.

Alternatively, could a mine be tweaked to produce stone? Although then you've got the placement problems of it having to be on the side of a hill...

graphite

I'll take a look when I get some time, but I can't see any reason why you couldn't. Mines have a slope variable.  I am going to use a slope var for the quarry, to get it to attach to the side of mountains and tunnel through them.{hmm ... well that's the plan}

cheers mate ;)

rkelly17

Quote from: graphite on August 31, 2014, 02:38:15 AM
I'll take a look when I get some time, but I can't see any reason why you couldn't. Mines have a slope variable.  I am going to use a slope var for the quarry, to get it to attach to the side of mountains and tunnel through them.{hmm ... well that's the plan}

cheers mate ;)

Putting quarries on hills is an excellent idea. Many real quarries work this way--and you could have a smaller footprint without reducing capacity. That being said, I'd still trade for stone unless I was on a mountain map.