News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

BETA of Snug Houses

Started by slink, October 13, 2014, 04:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

the smoke dummy of apiary example is attached to its own pointslist as stated inside the particlesystem (nothing to do with the interactdescription which is for builders use and create.)

and whatif you put all your snugs house inside 1 fbx ? i know thats a tons of work and not worth it.
in my very first building, creamery,  i couldnt figured out (or understood yet how that thing working) so i didnt put any smoke.

it s not a big deal ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

slink

Quote from: RedKetchup on October 17, 2014, 01:18:30 PM
the smoke dummy of apiary example is attached to its own pointslist as stated inside the particlesystem (nothing to do with the interactdescription which is for builders use and create.)

and whatif you put all your snugs house inside 1 fbx ? i know thats a tons of work and not worth it.
in my very first building, creamery,  i couldnt figured out (or understood yet how that thing working) so i didnt put any smoke.

it s not a big deal ^^

It is not so very much work to transfer all the meshes to one file.  I have them all in OBJ format and could import them without resetting the editor in between times, and then import the points list which I saved separately for my own convenience.

The "points" list contains all four types of dummies: build_XXX, create_XXX, use_XXX, and the particle system dummies such as "smoke".

I have just discovered something important.  If the "points" dummy is located at 0,0,0 then the smoke comes from chimneys when the "smoke" points are placed on the chimneys in the mesh.  Apparently "points" functions similarly to "root" in the animated chicken file.  This only works for buildings centered on 0,0,0.  In fact, it is in the ReadMe files, now that I know a little more about animations.

Make sure the objects are properly centered around their pivot. For example, a building that is 4x5m and it's corner is at (0, 0, 0) should have the pivot at (2, 2.5, 0)

The pivot point for animations is called "root" and I am willing to bet that it is called "points" for buildings.  For a building centered over the origin, "points" must be at 0,0,0.

Add dummy helper objects to define locations for use.

Helpers named build_XXX are where workers will stand when constructing the building
    Helpers named use_XXX are where workers will stand when working at the building.
    Helpers named create_XXX are resources will be created at the building.
    Helpers for particle system attachments can be named arbitrarily, for example, the smoke from the building.

He doesn't say to make these all the children of "points" but that is implied by the apiary example.

However, this does not explain how six different smoke points are defined in a single FBX file.  That would require six different pivot points.  How does the game know which pivot point belongs to which mesh?

RedKetchup

i have no ideas about the animations yet, i am not enough intelligent to understanding alot in that ^^

but...

just gone to my little colorful littlehouse folder.... yeah i see

the meshes are called inside a meshgroup _meshes and a [ ] pairs.

the picking one has :
   PickingGroup _meshes
   [

the mesh one has :
   MeshGroup _meshes
   [

the highlight has :
   EdgeGroup _meshes
   [

but i agree surely there is no pointlist group that have been identified like:
   PointListGroup _pointList(es?)   or PointGroup _pointList(es?)
   [

IMO

i would clearly give up ^^ and put no smoke !!

Bobbi

SPEAKING of colorful little houses, @RedKetchup, when are you ever going to release them?  :(

slink

YES!  If one assigns the "points" dummy to the mesh, it stays with that mesh and no other in the FBX file.  The smoke comes out of the correct chimney no matter which model you use.  I figured it out!!!  *does victory dance, favoring right knee sore from planting hostas*   ;D

RedKetchup

@slink Great ! so now are all your houses are in the same FBX ? or still have 3 fbx ?

@Bobbi : soon i just finished modified my watermill to meet people exigences ^^ i can go back to it before doing the bakery :)

slink

All six are in the same FBX.  I only tested with three, but now there are six again.

RedKetchup

so it wasnt a bad idea to put them all in same fbx ? :)

Pangaea

slink

No, @RedKetchup, it was not a bad idea, once I figured out how to make the smoke work.  Before that, it did not matter.  But, because the game can only use one FBX file for points, they have to be in one FBX file in order for the "F" key to work with them.

RedKetchup

k, then good to know (bobbi really want my colorful little house... i ll have to do it :) the same way as you did, thanks you

slink

You are welcome, @RedKetchup.  Hopefully this pays you back for the tip about the OBJ file.   ;)

RedKetchup

i know right, the OBJ file is great ! it fix so much things :)

Nilla

Great job, I will ceartainly build many of your snug houses, thank you!

Alfreddie

HI! I built some of your snug houses in my village. They are cute and bring a bit of diversity in the housing and frankly, I was longing for that since day one of the tool mod!
But when it's snowing, their roofs are a bit odd (a little bit of snow on one side of the roof, and some few snowdrops on the other side) when in the meantime, all the vanilla houses have totally white roofs, covered with thick snow. So it's may look weird but it is only my humble opinion...  :P
In any case, again, thanks for your work... I'll look forward for your next mods!