ccwindmill embx61
EBWinery embx61
CountryLittleHouse RedKetchup
MarketFood kid1293
SBVMission kid1293
TinyRowhouse kid1293
Irrigate BlackLiquid Team
IdleSmallFishermansDock Idle Work Team

I was originally trying to start a town with the impossible start setting, but none of my attempts lasted long without freezing and starving....

Are things much better in this map I started using medium setting?
No. Year 6 and food is non-existent. We have hit a critical point, and I am likely setting my citizens up for mass starvation again.

It was my fault, lately i have only been playing simple games through the mod kit with only the mod I'm working on enabled, I have been too slow in this game from the start, not putting enough resources into food production.
I have got my iron production going though :) and I love it in the nordic north. So far it is just surface ore, going into the Bloomery + Charcoal = Iron Bloom (I really like this added complexity)
The bloom I have going into my DSSV Blacksmith who with some more charcoal can now turn it into Iron :)
And the vanilla blacksmith is making Iron Tools with the Iron + Charcoal + Wood.

@Tom Sawyer the North beta 4.0 is great so far, I really like the direction you are going with it.
Maybe already planned or done:
Could you put in the Bloomery toolbar button description that it needs iron ore + charcoal to create iron bloom? I think this would be helpful to new players.
Bloomery enableWork button image.

I will try to update this village more if it outlasts this food shortage. There are a few of my beta mods in the list, so hopefully my future updates are save-game compatible.

Nilla

Wow! Fantastic looking pictures. I do hope you survive your food crisis. I want to see more!!!

Some small advice from an experienced North woman:

Send everyone you can spare out in the woods to collect wild food in summer. Everyone! Don't build anything in summer, produce firewood, clothes, and what you need for toolmaking only in winter, take vendors and traders away. Everyone; out in the woods!

Hunt every reindeer you see close to any barn with these small hunters. It also looks like you occupies the herders cabin with 2 herdsman. To my experience 1 herdsman get almost as many deer as the 2.

I see no trading port. You have a lot of valuable logs in your stores. Sell them for food! Sure, food is expensive in this version, but I think it's very hard to play the Nordic mod without trade.

Your town looks fantastic, but maybe you have put a little too much effort in aesthetics. I don't mean your beautiful houses and other productive buildings. But the beginning of a Nordic game is a bit tougher than normal, I wouldn't have built any church or a graveyard that early (To be honest, I haven't even built any yet in year 30+, but that's me, avoiding everything that look nice without a proper purpose  :-[ :-\). Of cause, I accept and admire others who build beautiful towns, but in this case I think it would have been better, to wait a little.

I have looked a little into the profit/productivity of different professions. It might be useful for you, too. I will write more in my blog.

Tom Sawyer

Nice to see your mods in the Nordic landscape. Funny picture with the deer on the cliffs...^^ The stone wall of your cemetary looks just perfect, even in this unusually perspective. Thats a long mod list. I will look at it, maybe there are some things more to make it work in the North. I will add a new tool tip and work button to the bloomery. Thats a good hint.

I think a few fishing docks at the lake and more potato-fields would simply save the settlement. To micromanage summery wild food missions is geeky.  ;D ;)

Nilla

Maybe geeky, but efficient,  ::) I promise.

Alright, more potatoes and fish are also good advice. When you really need more food, one farmer can manage a bigger field than yours. If necessary, you can start the harvest manually at ~90 % by mild climate, to be sure to get most of it into your barns. Again, geeky but efficient!

Tom Sawyer

Oh yes, it is efficient. Especially in these short summers full of blueberries. And I like this gameplay, too. Thats why I have included these buttons to collect resources and the other "action tools" for hunting, fishing and so on. Much more exciting than "place it and forget it" like the most buildings.

Discrepancy

My video card was playing up the last couple of days, and kept changing the game to dx9 which caused it to crash often. So I've played these last 5 years 3 times over because I should turn auto-save on/or save my game more often.

There isn't a lot to show, it is only year 11, and I have been slow in expanding the village.
Soon I will have old-age deaths, and with an aging population of only 52 citizens it might be an interesting next few years.

I recovered from my food shortage. And following Nilla's advice, I send everyone out to gather during summer, I expanded the crops slightly, but I haven't been micro-managing them enough and harvest is too late/too little.
So it is fish (particularly Salmon) and Potatoes that dominate the diet of these Nordic townsfolk. I see my quantity of Honey is higher than I thought it would be.... I will need to look into this.

I have built the Small Town Row House General Trader, and have been buying any interesting/varied food that the trading boat brings using Logs as payment.

Like I said earlier, the town hasn't expanded a great deal. A few more houses, NMT Clay Pit, Drying Shack, Nordic Mine, Tiny Quarry...
I can offer though a few more screenshots of the village using zoomhack.

Nilla

I'm glad you managed to survive your food crisis, so we can see more of this beautiful town. And yes, there are few children, so you might get a small setback in population, but I don't think it will be a big crisis. There are some students and children to carry on your settlement.

I thought it was a volcano in the distance, maybe this is Iceland before the vikings cut all the trees down. Than I saw, that it's just some interesting looking clouds.

Tom Sawyer

That looks good! Do you have the picture #3 also as unpacked jpg or png? I collect good Nordic views to replace (possibly) the loading screens or to make a small gallery on my website. This one is suitable as loading screen, if you want, of course with credits...^^

This strange yellow sponge in your inventory is my honey test icon. Forgot to remove it in the beta. I tested to overwrite your honey with a better trade value because of the new trading system (4/3 instead of 3/2). It works but I have to define a new icon. If you want I can use your nice honey pot for consistent style.