News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Red's new Work In Progress thread

Started by RedKetchup, November 19, 2017, 06:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

ghosted color fence double gates. starts bout the 4th color to the left. double gates are not centering.when you clikc to pull the fence up to place it,they are offset way to the left.1st 3 colors set normal,then they each go farther and farther offsetting.doesn't seem to happen to other pieces.doesn't happen to the normal fence either. are the seedling added to the veggy greenhouses?

RedKetchup

Quote from: brads3 on March 18, 2018, 04:37:49 PM
ghosted color fence double gates. starts bout the 4th color to the left. double gates are not centering.when you clikc to pull the fence up to place it,they are offset way to the left.1st 3 colors set normal,then they each go farther and farther offsetting.doesn't seem to happen to other pieces.doesn't happen to the normal fence either. are the seedling added to the veggy greenhouses?

can you show me a screensht cause i have hard to follow about the fence

yes seedling to the veggy greenhouse, last item at the bottom
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

brads3

this won't show the pointer. the pointer is just above the right end of the fence toolbar.the 2nd it is on the farthest right stack of wood.if i turn the piece it will go from that far left to that far right.doen't just pivot around where it is.

galensgranny

Quote from: Nilla on March 18, 2018, 01:50:40 PM
You don't need a smelter to produce a few iron and copper @galensgranny. The blacksmith may do it as well. It's not quite as efficient as a smelter. But the few you need for a trading port doesn't matter much, if 3 or 2 ore are needed for each iron/copper.

I did not find the blacksmith can smelt iron ore.  I have many other mods installed and for now do not have Red's Choice mod first, so maybe that affects something if his blacksmith can smelt iron ore. 

QuoteAs I said at the beginning; you don't need so much of these products, that you need to employ these sites all the time. So there's absolutely no problem to produce the material. Don't you people micromanage at the beginning of a game? Do you really build a site and let someone work there all the time right from the start? I don't. In a vanilla game one person switch between woodcutter, blacksmith, tailor and maybe something else at the beginning. Here there will be some more sites; I find that rather interesting than hard.

Oh my goodness, I am so glad you wrote what you did,@Nilla ! I have not been playing the start sensibly. I did really build the various work sites and then let a Bannie just stay there and keep working.  Now that I think about it, your way is the best way.  :) Why didn't I think of that all this time?!  It seems so obvious now.  :-[ Things would have been so much better and then I would not be as concerned about having various production chains, since I could stop work at one site so that same Bannie would go work another, until later on I have enough people to stay for good at a work site.

In view of my new "awakening" to better gameplay thanks to Nilla, @RedKetchup I am fine with how you have things.

QuoteBut how is it @galensgranny and @Denis de la Rive; have you tested this mod? Did you really have these difficulties? Did your settlement suffer from starvation because you couldn't build a trading port fast enough or a decease after taking nomads but without a possibility to build a hospital?

I still had other mods installed, so I used one of those trading posts and hospitals.  But, it is the case that I don't start trading right away and people didn't starve.  I just wanted to get some sheep soon to start getting wool.  I have been too impatient to let some years go by to be ready for a lot of things in the game.  Now that I know to rotate the same Bannie to various jobs to get a little of this, and a little of that to start some more complex buildings, it will be fine.

Thank you so much, @Nilla:)   I am sure you did not think it necessary to ask if people just keep one Bannie at the same job forever from the start instead of using one Bannie to do several things at things at first.  But, obviously, there was me not doing it sensibly and efficiently.  ;D

oldgraywolf

Don't feel bad galensgranny, I played the same way until I got on this site and started reading and learning. It takes a little time to get used to the "micromanagement" aspect, but I only do it at the beginning to get things rolling. Nilla seems to be more "hands on" than I am, but her way works, especially while playing the North mod.
Red's blacksmith does smelt a couple of ores and is very useful at the beginning when ore is available and iron isn't. I tried it out this weekend and I just kept an eye on the tool quantity and switched him up as I needed to.
Hat's off to you Mr. Red.  8) I downloaded this mod this weekend and got started just in case you didn't get your newest out. I love it. It will take some getting used to for a noob like me, but I've been reading and learning and really like what you've done.
Much appreciated.
I never lose. I either win or I learn.

brads3

2 suggestions to the canals. can the workers clear trees,rocks,or grasses back as far as the walkway? opposite side of the canal you can see things growing through the stone.it is removable by the clear all tool.
     2nd can a walkway be made with the canal textures and the same height as the canal sides.preferably ghosted.that way we can widen the canal sides and still place carts or markets,etc on top of it. be nice to have a set for each canal and be stretchable like a road. you can see i tried some roads. the city road sidewalk on bottom to left is closer to the same height. would help around that mill.i would add them as sidewalks to the canal toolbars,under the same textures.

RedKetchup

Quote from: brads3 on March 18, 2018, 08:43:14 PM
this won't show the pointer. the pointer is just above the right end of the fence toolbar.the 2nd it is on the farthest right stack of wood.if i turn the piece it will go from that far left to that far right.doen't just pivot around where it is.

yeah i saw this and it is acting very very weird !! as you go further the colors, it is like each color the double-arch goes 1 tile further each time and get like +10 tile away with the 10th color LOL

thats very very weird, gonna take a look at this today.

RedKetchup

Quote from: brads3 on March 19, 2018, 09:10:07 AM
2 suggestions to the canals. can the workers clear trees,rocks,or grasses back as far as the walkway? opposite side of the canal you can see things growing through the stone.it is removable by the clear all tool.
     2nd can a walkway be made with the canal textures and the same height as the canal sides.preferably ghosted.that way we can widen the canal sides and still place carts or markets,etc on top of it. be nice to have a set for each canal and be stretchable like a road. you can see i tried some roads. the city road sidewalk on bottom to left is closer to the same height. would help around that mill.i would add them as sidewalks to the canal toolbars,under the same textures.

it cant be processed to the canal mesh themself, you cant ask the mesh to clear something outside the mesh footprint.

do you know you can put road ontop of the walls ? you wont mess up the canal water. it even made on purpose to give fast and faster path along ontop of the canal walls

brads3

RED,what did you do to the merchants? this 1 found his way to the canal trade post AND i don't have it connected to the main river yet.does he carry the boat over dry ground? totally unexpected. these canals seem easier to place now. the game plays noticably faster than CC.

RedKetchup

haha , he is not lost ! he is a clever merchant and knows to put effort to get to streams other side of mountains/lands :)

great to hear some of my optimizations are giving fruits :)

Denis de la Rive

I understant that I have come in to this conversation a bit late, and respect the opinions stated above, but when one is designing a mod, you must think of the least skilled user as your bottom line, or state directly that your mode is for more advanced players only. You must also consider all game functions, such as playing with disasters. Ignoring extreme circumstances can also be a trap you need to avoid.

I can see that some very skilled players have tricks and playing styles that make these situations interesting, but others have stated they just discovered those same tricks here.

I am certain that I could play this mod like Nilla, (who is certainly one of the best I have seen), but that is not the case with everyone.

I also remain convinced that having this mod depend on others for such basic features is a mistake. It would be a waste of Red's wonderful buildings if most players avoid it, or if they use it as a secondary mod, that would render useless things like starting conditions, and terrain.

Concerning the blacksmith, having to divert production from tool making can also create as many problems, as it solves, I have seen this many times, and trading can often save a town.

Again  :) :)

Nilla

I have started a new game, to show how easy it is to produce these "advanced" materials for these basic buildings. I'm sorry, the entry is (as usual  :-[) rather long, but you can read about it in my blog. http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=2256.msg47167#msg47167

I know, I'm an experienced player and can maybe manage extreme situations better than some of you, but I don't make any "magical things", just paying attention on the needs of the Bannis. The experience also gives a confidence in my decisions. I think I know, how far I can go without disastrous consequences. I know, when I have to concentrate on the essential things like food, fuel and tools, I know when I have security to "play around" with what ever I like.

@RedKetchup this is your mod. You haven't said anything about how you feel about this discussion. If you want to, there might be a rather simple solution to fit everyone:

For the vanilla doctor and vanilla townhall you have other, to my opinion much nicer alternatives, where we need other materials than the "usual". You could change the materials back in the vanilla versions to use only logs, stones and iron (maybe you could even reduce the amount of iron, because it has to be produced and maybe instead increase the amount of stones).

Unfortunately the trading port isn't that easily changed. But there I have a suggestion, that also could solve another problem; the many seed and animal merchants, you don't need after some time. Why not make a small trading port for initial use, where you only need the basic building materials. It has to be much smaller, than a normal port, only so big that you can store goods to buy a seed or two, some animals, a few extra logs or stones for the beginning and maybe some grain for initial diversity. If we buy seeds and animals in such a port, these often annoying merchants could be taken away from the normal port and the canal port.

But as I've said in this discussion; I'm not sure that these changes are needed.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Nilla on March 20, 2018, 05:30:15 AM

@RedKetchup this is your mod. You haven't said anything about how you feel about this discussion. If you want to, there might be a rather simple solution to fit everyone:

i am personally very proud of this new system of extra building requirements. so i wont deleted.  since long time i wanted those lumber/glass features to be integrated and be essential part of the game as i did. Too long time i made mods just for the look without taking care at all the impact on the game and i really try to take care of the "game" in this mod.
for sure i dont want to make this mod like an overload and a bloated version as was CC, but i really think this game needed some love.

Nilla

I agree: You can be proud of this mod. As I've said repeatedly, I don't think it's too hard to build these basic buildings the way they are, and as you may have seen: I'm about to prove it. In fact I will continue right now. This Kersew only got in my way; now back to my game.

oldgraywolf

I think you're good Red, I'm fairly new to this and haven't started playing with the newest version you just released, but I've got the previous and don't see a problem with your decisions. Some of them are challenging to a newer player like me but not hard or impossible.
As for the blacksmith. I didn't want to build a smelter so I ended up using two blacksmiths for awhile, one as smelter for the iron the other for tool production, and this after using one and managing it ala Nilla. :P
Keep "your" mod yours. We either play it and like it or not, same as any other. Listening to input and opinions is one thing, trying to please everyone or cater to everyone is another. "You can please all of the people sometimes and some of the people always, but never all of the people all the time."
Again, great mod and ideas, keep it up. This new, inexperienced player likes what you've done.  ;D
I never lose. I either win or I learn.