News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

is there any video about modding?

Started by huyle, May 22, 2018, 03:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

huyle

i just read the README file in the modkit, but i cant understand it bc im so stupid   :'(. i wonder if there is any video about modding?

hadrian900

It's not you, who is stupid. You have to already be knowledgeable about coding to begin with to understand what developer talks about. But even that is not enough, you are supposed to look up example files and try to figure out yourself, a lot of things readme simply does not mention, it's something you have to get from people who have figured it out already.

I'm currently trying to figure things out this way, may be i will write comprehensive guide on modding for people with no knowledge of IT.

huyle

@hadrian900 thank you. i think it would be great if i can edit an existing mod, like changing the 3d model or the statistic of some crop

kid1293

Just for a situation like this I released some small mods with source code.

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1930.msg39182#msg39182

Scroll down to get a few more. They cover many things. No tutorial though. :)

RedKetchup

we got one since long time, but the guy deleted all his video in his youtube channel at some point, dunno when.

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=365.0
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

RedKetchup

i found a post i did years ago to how to install it but no video though
http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1244.0

huyle

@RedKetchup, hello RK, can you help me a little bit?
i have the source folder of some mod, after changing some number and 3d model, how can i save it to *.pkm file?

RedKetchup

Quote from: huyle on May 22, 2018, 10:10:02 PM
@RedKetchup, hello RK, can you help me a little bit?
i have the source folder of some mod, after changing some number and 3d model, how can i save it to *.pkm file?

you need to launch its appropriated .bat file. i guess the bat file has been handled to you in same time as the other file ?
if you dont have one, you will need to create one. you will have to look at the buildExample s.bat with the appropriated line of code inside (to look and edit a bat file, you need to right click on the file and choose the option "Modify".

to tell you exactly what it should written i would need your files, or giving me screenshots of : package.rsc and the folder content at the root of the mod.

huyle

@RedKetchup . it does have the bat file, but when i run it, a cmd window pop out for a second then disappears, no pkm file created

RedKetchup

Quote from: huyle on May 23, 2018, 06:33:57 AM
@RedKetchup . it does have the bat file, but when i run it, a cmd window pop out for a second then disappears, no pkm file created

it is probably because the links inside arent totally exact anymore. you need to tell me what is inside (right click, modify,  copy and paste it here so i can see what is written.)
and you still didnt show me the package.rsc content and you still didnt gave me a picture of your mod root folder. you dont help me much, i am not at your computer desk viewing your screen and typing at your keyboard.

you need to give me the infos or zip what you have and send it to me! (i am not Muab'dib. you need to help me to help you)

huyle

Discrepancy

change the name of the BanishedKit_1.0.7.170910 to just BanishedKit.

either way remove the:  .  _    (dots and underscore)

the compiler does not like them.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Discrepancy on May 24, 2018, 04:42:09 AM
change the name of the BanishedKit_1.0.7.170910 to just BanishedKit.

either way remove the:  .  _    (dots and underscore)

the compiler does not like them.

start by do that. rename your BanishedKit_1.0.7.170910 folder by just BanishedKit
because your build.bat seems ok. the only thing i dont know what is written inside your gardenshedResources.rsc is there really a paragraph called "resource" ? ( i think it should be, so... )

did you installed the 2 necessary program files ? DirectX End User Runtime http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35 and the Visual Studio 2012 Redist http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679 ?
and rename your BanishedKit.

@kid1293  ? gardenshed is one of your little mods you offered the code ?

RedKetchup

oh and did you ever tried to build the examples ? did it succeeded ? (because the examples are a good practice to learn if your kit is working or not)
also where is placed your banishedkit ? at c:\banishedkit ? or d:\banishedkit ? or somewhere on your desktop ? or documents ?

kid1293

Hi!
My gardenshed should compile fine if you place it's directory in your modkit directory.

For example NOT in BanishedKit/MyMods/gardenshed

Just the same level. BanishedKit/gardenshed

or you have to change the path in the buildgardenshed.bat